Nick E

Punctured cam cover - Back to the garage again.

Act of God this time..

Topping up with oil, using a funnel.  As I stepped back to put the top back on the oil, put it back in the boot and let the excess drain into the engine, a freak gust of wind slams the bonnet shut, shattering the funnel, and forcing the nozzle through the cam cover. 

Drove the 4 miles to my garage very slowly, and have left it with them to find out where the bloody plastic has gone.

Utter bollocks!

Edited by Nick E

What are the chances ?

I do empathise, the one weather condition I have a pathological hatred of :angry:

Hope the damage (to the car or the garage invoice) is not serious.

On 22/10/2021 at 11:54, Nick E said:

Act of God this time..

Topping up with oil, using a funnel.  As I stepped back to put the top back on the oil, put it back in the boot and let the excess drain into the engine, a freak gust of wind slams the bonnet shut, shattering the funnel, and forcing the nozzle through the cam cover. 

Drove the 4 miles to my garage very slowly, and have left it with them to find out where the bloody plastic has gone.

Utter bollocks!

Sorry to hear of the mishap. A big mistake starting and driving it, chances are that the debris has now found its way down into the engine and may require a sump removal, or worse,  to find it !

If you had just removed the valve cover, the debris would have been sitting under the break area and easily removed. When the valve cover comes off, if there are any bits found, save them and fit them back into

the cover like a jigsaw, if it's all there, happy days, if not its el problemo.

I replaced a cracked valve cover on my 525i at the beginning of the first lockdown, dont waste money on OEM parts, I took a chance on one of these £72 covers and I was amazed at the quality, I have a good eye for detail

and I could not find any difference from the original BMW cover. My feeling is that it has come from the same mould or manufacturer who makes them for BMW. Been on there for 2 yrs now, no problems at all, good quality gaskets too ! 

Hope this helps.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283891876841

I realise that.. the garage said drive it in, but I was sceptical. 

I had no choice. I was on my way to work, and it was en route.

They've still not looked at it yet. All garages are backed up with work, and mine is in a queue. Hopefully, they'll get to look at it today.

Wouldn't worry too much if it was a plastic funnel, it's not uncommon to find bits of gasket and other gunk in an oil pan, most of it just settles at the bottom. It's good to have it looked at just to be sure there isn't some big piece blocking an oil return hole but I doubt serious harm was done.

My gut feeling is it will have survived and not too much of a problem unless the garage makes a meal of it for example by insisting on a brand new oem cam cover as  they  are extortionately priced. 50p size piece probably wont get in any oil ways or anything and it is softer than the metal engine components.  Might be wrong though.

Second hand or replacement cover and maybe sump off for a look and a new sump gasket that these cars tend to need at some point anyway.  Fingers crossed.

No update yet. The garage hasn't even looked at it yet and it's been there a week. I know they're busy  but...  Spoke to them today, and they said it would go in today or Monday. It'll be Monday now, as I drove past on the way home from work this evening and it's not in the workshop.

One question . Is this accidental damage something I could claim on insurance? I can't see anything on my policy that says yes.

I don't think insurance will cover it, it's more your own error. Then you could claim for tyre puncture as well for example, but obviously you can't. Even if they would agree it's accidental damage, car most likely would be written off at this age.

It needs a new rocker cover. They found 80% of the broken bit, so we're assuming the balance has been mashed up or is in the sump.

Ay ideas on where to get one for the non OEM silly money price, or are these ebay ones ok?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183919662699?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2ad277566b:g:4TAAAOSwyB5dU9Rq&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsS7UXID%2BRPOSNsnm8kYPghtCJHxS4zmGtBbAs0xIYGtxETKeBNwma4KF4ouKXlQG1%2Bcxx3tJ4HHOi4sgVC%2Fxl1Yyx7DrsCiAALutFr4i58VwqZMp3ly6ToUqEQPEdIH6Mi4M%2Fzj3J3R2PvkD29YjwGMxXNRlHuH06WtvhkHuSGUfkDtMjc7CV5Bq4AsVm3c269U9IE2GGwqKDbAhKesKdaiJyQjzyrsCM0pttv8dGrLcgBwtN%2FU%2Fs8vedWFqivFVTRaFU4RYmle9wIXMI%2BHJ2whKw5%2FSzyNXJ39gn1GHexSfV7Eu9CJUccFQR4ebeg%2FLa8MFgF1JczeN4kR6PJrC%2F1%2B292pIu7NuwKfF7kSb60i%2FGSdPOb%2BHeZilCri%2B4KQQiq814hQd806wE4j8vcFj2NKATHe9NKcDI27uBHT2bbxUpteUbhs6jaGPwbOdKyVXQ4gf4cTqAdEFAllP9VnVzjJLsqBpxdiDXWfwYGjHcf%2FxoAy43MdN0WlA6ATv3yaq19yw9BdnTHqQfParIEigIfuhYwn2mqjclATV41VVxwA8O%2FE6pEXRij74T3TAsJUc%2B1j6jPQqrVT1Sp2NbVL7XPGAjmgoosgepKnvcCsbNLqqcvQdUC7trIUyQ6WbOXyVdKN0byK%2FnU00DxZfnPwc%2BWSHM3l5%2FkEGtynfhrdmIDROpeG80OBRkB92xP6vmsNO7DZCXWiumuMfR8NACz9vvw6GtfwtstszgJS%2BWkYllyqDKzMnnXmCAosjaMsv9VIt%2FfLxwH2m4JmMDiBm%2FRCVyR1J7acubbishZ8MdcxGWrbRbFLbEPxNW6c5GLSttkQXg3|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBM6JXMiZxf

Or would I be better off with something like this?

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/15779495?gshp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkozkmOH58wIVE9d3Ch12OwjtEAQYASABEgIp6_D_BwE

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by Nick E

2 hours ago, Nick E said:

Nick, see my post above with comments and link to good valve cover with gaskets

13 minutes ago, Busterbvi said:

Nick, see my post above with comments and link to good valve cover with gaskets

Thanks man.. Missed that one. Will do. I just can't justify OEM to myself at the moment. I've only just spent £500 getting the car fixed up.

Unless I see a reasonable period of time of no garage time or repairs, I'm getting shot of it.

at least the wind didn't take it the other way onto the windscreen, been there :(