Nick E

E39 blower

So, the heater and a.c. blower has stopped working.

Before I replace the FSU, I thought I'd check fuses 76 and 76 to see if they're blown.

Do I need to remove the glove box to get to them?

I've already had a dig around, pulled off the bit of plastic by the vent, but can't see them.

Is removing the two retaining straps to let the box drop down enough to get at them?

Removing glovebox will give more space, but those two fuses are reachable just with removing plastic trim under glove box, just check some pictures so you have better idea of their location. Then  when plastic trim is removed (just slides backwards), if you put your head as deep under the dashboard as possible, you should see it up behind glove box, fuses are towards center console. There's fuse 75 for front electric fan which is 40a fuse, and fuse 76, which is 50a fuse and is for heater blower. 

Looking for 50 and 40 watt fuses now..  any specific rating, high or low blow I should look for? 

I've not pulled them out yet, but want to buy them now.

38 minutes ago, Nick E said:

Looking for 50 and 40 watt fuses now..  any specific rating, high or low blow I should look for? 

I've not pulled them out yet, but want to buy them now.

No, just correct size I believe. They are quite big in size. 

The fuses in question are called Maxi Fuses and searching for one of those should give plenty of results. They're a pain to reach though, it's much easier to remove the FSU and check for voltage at the plug. There's 4 thick wires and one thin wire on it. One of the thick wires should show 12v even with ignition off, if it does then the fuses are okay.

20 minutes ago, Carlton said:

The fuses in question are called Maxi Fuses and searching for one of those should give plenty of results. They're a pain to reach though, it's much easier to remove the FSU and check for voltage at the plug. There's 4 thick wires and one thin wire on it. One of the thick wires should show 12v even with ignition off, if it does then the fuses are okay.

Cool. Will do. Thank you.

i think that these fuses rarely go bad on this bmw. but the hedgehog does go bad and it does so this time of year or winter where too much moist affacts electrical equipment. buy a second hand off ebay see if the fan blower lights up again, if not return it and get a second one...

Why would you buy 2nd hand off eBay when the new Meyle one with 2 years warranty is c£35?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150657173413?epid=15017011949&hash=item2313de07a5:g:FsUAAOSwLYRbT2hw

oh ok, didn't know that. meyle is good idea, in fact any brand comes with 2 year as standard if bought new these days. make sure you have your local garage install it otherwise they won't replace it under warranty. cheers :)

1 hour ago, rabotnika said:

oh ok, didn't know that. meyle is good idea, in fact any brand comes with 2 year as standard if bought new these days. make sure you have your local garage install it otherwise they won't replace it under warranty. cheers :)

No need at all; fit it yourself, no need to pay a garage an hours labour for a 10min job

Meyle will warrant any returns like this; never had any issues before

58 minutes ago, rabotnika said:

that's great. meyle are o.k. to use for some parts, namely? thanks sir :)

Suspension absolutely; other parts fine also

They have decent warranty and are well made

My Go-To's have always been MEyle, Moog, Lemforder & OEM BMW; some Febi & Febi Bilstein parts in there too, same with TRW

So, I've got the replacement FSU. Am in the car now to replace it. Have got the trim off, and underneath, it looks nothing like what's been posted up on videos on the net..

What's this? Can't even see the FSU as it's in the way..

20211110_123526.jpg

20211110_125803.jpg

Edited by Nick E

13 minutes ago, Nick E said:

So, I've got the replacement FSU. Am in the car now to replace it. Have got the trim off, and underneath, it looks nothing like what's been posted up on videos on the net..

What's this? Can't even see the FSU as it's in the way..

20211110_123526.jpg

Picture isn't showing pal

You should just be able to take off the side panel and then see a load of wires and a thick black plug that connects to the FSU; just pull on that to swap out the FSU

That's on the drivers side.. I think it's above all of this. I didn't take the panel down over the steering column as it has lots of wires connected to it and I was afraid to break something. I think that will need to come off.

Edited by Nick E

20 minutes ago, Nick E said:

That's on the drivers side.. I think it's above all of this. I didn't take the panel down over the steering column as it has lots of wires connected to it and I was afraid to break something. I think that will need to come off.

It's the panel by the footwell and centre console. One bolt and one tab holds it in place... No need to remove anything else 

4 minutes ago, Nick E said:

Hi Dan.. was watching that one. 

It is not in there..  take a look.

20211110_142830.jpg

Further back Nick ;) 

Ahh bollocks. Just saw that whole vid again Dan. 

Like I said, it's raining and I'm getting soaked prodding around in that. My shite torch died, and the LED panel is on charge. Will fix this tomorrow now I know where I should have been looking.