Sign in to follow this  
pt530i

Reversing camera startup

Question for anyone with a reversing camera on a pre-LCI

I've recently retrofitted a revcam using the genuine kit from BMW to my 2019 520i

All works, however if I start the engine and immediately select reverse the guidelines are not displayed. If I wait a few seconds before selecting reverse they display fine. Everything else works as expected

Really just trying to find out if this is a characteristic or something is wrong - my feeling is that the head unit takes a few seconds to start up

Any feedback welcome

That's interesting, mine works fine but ONLY after a few seconds with the engine running before selecting reverse

I wonder whether it's only retrofits that have this behaviour ? Very odd if so

Yeh it’s strange, mines often works fine first time, but quite randomly and fairly often does not display the lines, this can be at any time really. 
I wonder if it’s something to do with the coding of them, but then again my car has some other strange behaviours, when it seems it has a mind of its own, like when it often changes (whilst parked overnight) what is displayed at the bottom of the cluster,  mileage, fuel consumption etc. I leave it on one thing then after s few days or weeks it will change it like it was was physically scrolled through. 

18 hours ago, ally said:

my car has some other strange behaviours, when it seems it has a mind of its own, like when it often changes (whilst parked overnight) what is displayed at the bottom of the cluster,  mileage, fuel consumption etc. I leave it on one thing then after s few days or weeks it will change it like it was was physically scrolled through. 

Mine does that too. Seems to do it if I get home in ECO then start up (in Comfort) the next day but it’s just occasional and not repeatable.

I've noticed something similar regarding the information on the bottom of the cluster

If you've come home using satnav then the next day the information has changed. I think it's because when you're active with sat nav there's an additional option text with miles to destination etc, once that disappears after the satnav has done it's thing that option disappears (even if you haven't clicked the stalk to actually display it) and that confuses the cluster as to what to display

Only a theory though