Aojb

535d High Mileage

Hi,

I’ve been lurking around here for a while as I’m looking for an E60 535/530d…

I’ve found a 535d with a great spec but with excess of 240k miles…

It’s had lots of parts replaced - turbos, torque converter, suspension, new EGR, brakes etc. 

Is the mileage too high? My instinct is yes but I just can’t stop coming back to it!

Thanks 

If it's a pre LCI then that millage is nothing as long as it's been properly looked after.

At that millage all the consumables will have been replaced at least once (it's just down to with what quality) & the price of the car should reflect the millage.

Thanks Dirty Diesel. It’s an LCI, 2007, does that make it more of a risk? 
It looks to have been well looked after, plenty of paperwork for all the bits that have been changed 

I’ve got a 2008 530d e61 just hit 215k and I wouldn’t hesitate taking it anywhere these things will hit 400k without thinking about it regular services it will be fine just general ware and tear to comprehend with 

The Lci had the better gearbox, if it has had all the main things which go wrong changed then if the price is right then maybe worth a risk. Just check things like dpf suspension if it’s been changed and with oem parts 

The Lci had the better gearbox, if it has had all the main things which go wrong changed then if the price is right then maybe worth a risk. Just check things like dpf suspension if it’s been changed and with oem parts 

Hi. Personally i dont mind high mileage cars. When buying car that is over 10 years old i would look at it condition rather than mileage to be honest,but in your case this mileage means it will be needing dew things in near future.

These lci 535d's need there injectors to work properly or you will get melted piston which is engine replacement/rebuild. There is example on here somewhere.

Next thing is timing chain. M57n2 engine unlike its older brother with iron block cant do without chain replacement and will be a ticking bomb so at 240k it would be wise to cosider sorting it out. I think it can be done for 700 pounds including parts.

I would go and have a look at it,check service paperwork,chat to owner,just see that car,feel how it drives etc.

23 hours ago, Aojb said:

Thanks Dirty Diesel. It’s an LCI, 2007, does that make it more of a risk? 
It looks to have been well looked after, plenty of paperwork for all the bits that have been changed 

Look up, what Yuri84 said 100% :)

On 10/13/2021 at 5:44 AM, Yuri84 said:

Hi. Personally i dont mind high mileage cars. When buying car that is over 10 years old i would look at it condition rather than mileage to be honest,but in your case this mileage means it will be needing dew things in near future.

These lci 535d's need there injectors to work properly or you will get melted piston which is engine replacement/rebuild. There is example on here somewhere.

Next thing is timing chain. M57n2 engine unlike its older brother with iron block cant do without chain replacement and will be a ticking bomb so at 240k it would be wise to cosider sorting it out. I think it can be done for 700 pounds including parts.

I would go and have a look at it,check service paperwork,chat to owner,just see that car,feel how it drives etc.

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard of the M57n2 needed chain to be replaced. Thanks for the bad news. 

7 hours ago, iReaper1157 said:

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard of the M57n2 needed chain to be replaced. Thanks for the bad news. 

You might be lucky and it will last forever. I personally saw 3 e60's 30d with snapped timing chains and all were lci and with m57n2 sadly. 

If the car is in good condition and you really like it,then why not invest and do the job? 

1 hour ago, Yuri84 said:

You might be lucky and it will last forever. I personally saw 3 e60's 30d with snapped timing chains and all were lci and with m57n2 sadly. 

If the car is in good condition and you really like it,then why not invest and do the job? 

Mine is an LCI on an 08 so I’d guess it’s a n2. It’s definitely a job I’d pay for. Can’t see the car going anywhere now really. 

2 hours ago, iReaper1157 said:

Mine is an LCI on an 08 so I’d guess it’s a n2. It’s definitely a job I’d pay for. Can’t see the car going anywhere now really. 

N2 engine is in the cars from 2006 i think. 

35d has some poke,so chains are under a lot of strain. If it would be my car i would do it. 

10 hours ago, Yuri84 said:

N2 engine is in the cars from 2006 i think. 

35d has some poke,so chains are under a lot of strain. If it would be my car i would do it. 

Mine is 30d but mapped. 

240k for a purchase is too much unless you have documented history, if not be prepared to change a lot of thing.