TS1997

Windshield wipers issue

Those codes are "wipers blocked or reset contactor failure (49)"

"interrupt line" (possibly "line of interruption" or "cutout line") relay 1

and the same for relay 2

Something must be not 100% fine with the linkage, or the motor. As you suspected the stalk seems fine and so does the relay, that gets overloaded due to binding linkage or the motor doesn't cut out when end travel is reached. (due to the faulty reset contact)

I'd remove the cowl's rain tray and thoroughly inspect the motor and linkage if you haven't done so yet. Also the wiring on the back of the relay could have been affected by overload, maybe not a huge meltdown but enough to be making things intermitent?

On a certain car I worked on, there was a minuscule leak from the cowl into the underdash area and it created soem issue I can't recall now but along the lines of this issue (apparent easy fault to diagnose and rectify, that ends up being quite the headache)

1 hour ago, jicaino said:

Those codes are "wipers blocked or reset contactor failure (49)"

"interrupt line" (possibly "line of interruption" or "cutout line") relay 1

and the same for relay 2

Something must be not 100% fine with the linkage, or the motor. As you suspected the stalk seems fine and so does the relay, that gets overloaded due to binding linkage or the motor doesn't cut out when end travel is reached. (due to the faulty reset contact)

I'd remove the cowl's rain tray and thoroughly inspect the motor and linkage if you haven't done so yet. Also the wiring on the back of the relay could have been affected by overload, maybe not a huge meltdown but enough to be making things intermitent?

On a certain car I worked on, there was a minuscule leak from the cowl into the underdash area and it created soem issue I can't recall now but along the lines of this issue (apparent easy fault to diagnose and rectify, that ends up being quite the headache)

I never got time to inspect the motor or linkage again but will do that when I got time. I did inspect the wiring on the backside of the relay though and everything looked fine there. I'll go over the cowl and verify if there are any cracks etc again once I check the motor and linkage

The code is for the return signal and both of the relays (or the combined tall relay if the car has that). The return signal is just a switch that is triggered when the motor reaches the park position, which the control module sees so it knows when to actually disengage the relay to turn off the motor (so the wipers finish their stroke if you turn them off mid-stroke) It also monitors the motor voltage drop via this line so it knows if the motor is drawing too much current.

Problem is that any faults here can be triggered by electrical faults anywhere in the system: wiring, motor, relays, grounds etc. Even just testing the system without the relay installed may have triggered it. Since you've reset the codes, see if they recur and go from there.