paulhunter-e28

What fuel should we buy for the e28 now?

its confusing this new e10 fuel 95   and  e5 97 ron

is e10 okay for an e28? will it damage engine

Esso e5 is 99  octane

what a delima?

advise much appreciated

I put a 5 pound amount of bp e10 95 octane in the e28

it started as ever mixed in with with good old stuff, 5 mins later - shes not happy, engine is running a bit rougth - engine then a bit shaky on the mounts, then engine dies, doesnt want to idel

i start the car back up no no no massive backfire.

so it was the last thing i did then i guess, put in 5 pounds of the new fuel. e10

so i drained it out with good advise from john on the jumper wire

Edited by paulhunter-e28
spelling

so then i go out with jerry can to buy premium e5 from esso but 99 octane?

Rocket Fuel and got a fast idel

in it went.

running and better - but its not right - im not changing anything mechanically

then i noticed a lot of white smoke out exhaust

this new e10 fuel attract moisture like a sponge from tank to injector

petrol is now plant based, so far my e28 doesnt like the new fuel. 

it has ruled out my early worries, a fail mechanically air flow meter - dizzy, no its the new fuel. changing parts is not going to improve anything. will just add to the problem and complicate.

this is very disappointing  this new e10 fuel is going to kill a mans practical classic

very depressing .

Edited by paulhunter-e28
spelling

Took the Diamantschwartz Eta to Munich with the BMW Car Club back in 2013.  No the return trip we ducked off the autobahn for fuel and filled up with 100 octane (5 star in old money).  The Eta ran so smoothly on the fuel it was originally designed for...

Modern fuel is more money for less bang.

Best regards,

Mick

Was your idel a tad high lol in 2013 we wernt buying what we get at pump now tho. i think this high octane plant based fuel.. is going to kill my cars internals.

my e28 is very unhappy so far with what i have put in, and its not like her. shes behaving like there is a vacuum leak , unstable and backfiring. its out of chracter all i did was put in the e10. 

Edited by paulhunter-e28
spelling

Idle was smooth, power delivery was smooth, car wanted to pull more, tank of fuel lasted longer and carried me further a true night and day experience compared to super unleaded.

The engine performed normally it just ran a lot better.

I would use it all the time if it were available locally...

Best regards,

Mick

I started the car again today still with esso e5 99 octane. To my surprise started up just fine and ran pretty much same as before perhaps with a bit more punch? Last night there was a lot of white smoke today none? maybe whatever e10 remained in system has been dilluted evaporated ive no idea but she lives - very bad night last night.

Not dead yet....

Never buy e10 for the e28! i dont think id even put it in the lawnmower. I shall just use it as a degreaser.

DSC-0518.jpg

Edited by paulhunter-e28
spelling

I noticed when I pulled my fuel hose going to inlet manifold to drain out e10 one hose has a nasty crack not good but not leaking

DSC-0540.jpg

Its a new market upgrading tanks hoses pipes etc e5 will prob be obsolite in 5 years

E5 will go out like 4 star 

Edited by paulhunter-e28
spelling

Using new fuel esso e5 99 octane, i had to adjust my ignition timing not precise like just where she seemed happy. and idel about right good revs.

turning distributor, i got a nice electric shock doing so, but thats quite nice in a funny way -   oh well the coil is good.

good old gal lives.

car connects me to the good old days before all this #$&^

its 1987 in this car. all i have to give me a yes!

its Esso e5 99 octane all the way for me. being so close to mot. Devastation at team bmw last night. backfires etc i know her ways.

Countess Dracula - keep feeding me new parts. but not that e10 crap. poison

old girl sounds her age. 4 cylinder overhead rockers 8 valve and a timing chain - minor oil leak from front timing chain case - but runs. oil pressure light flickers at low revs when warmed up. not a new car, engine block im using is from an 86 5i8i m10 engine low 60k miles when my big ends went coming up to 200k - timed up to cylinder head - without broken studs from ebay? no machine work. just new gaskets.

its amazing really shes still around and alive - an e28 without a 6 cylinder oh its just a 518 then rubbish, still alive and so close now.

Mum tells me to get rid of that $%&^^K car.cant do it.

Edited by paulhunter-e28
spelling

my dads car used to do the school run. has to be saved.

really did not like e10 really was terriable couldnt idel without dying start back up with throttle, nothing then a massive backfire

i know the car. it was my mate who said did you put e10 in.

yes.

Edited by paulhunter-e28

Too much scaremongering here.

If your care is not running well on e10 it is because there is a problem not with the fuel but with the engine or fuel system that needs addressing that the new fuel has shown up.

E10 is not dangerous for bmw engines m10, m20 or m30, m40, m50, m60. Other manufacturers are affect due to the materials used in the engine and fueling system. Bmw seemed to have not cut corners and designed everything for longevity I.e water resistant.

What is dangerous is people trying to strip ethical out of petrol (fire hazzard, spilage...) 

I am fueling my m30 with e10 and the car behaves very well.

When I had an eta it made no difference of it was run on 95ron or 99ron fuels. I used to monitor fuel economy closely and could not spot a difference. 

If you leave e10 sitting in your tank for months then water ingress will do it thing over a period of years. So use it, you car is not meant to be for long petrol storage. 

If you spot a problem with the new fuel address the short coming in the car and don't blame the fuel. Old hoses need to be changed eventually. Fuel injectors need cleaning eventually.....

Scaremongering nd worrying obscures the facts. It does not that help that car mags are full of the same misformed nonsense. They should no better.

Edited by bm0p700f

On 14/10/2021 at 08:57, bm0p700f said:

Bmw seemed to have not cut corners and designed everything for longevity I.e water resistant.

When I had an eta it made no difference of it was run on 95ron or 99ron fuels

Old hoses need to be changed eventually. Fuel injectors need cleaning eventually.

This, and most European manufacturers made their systems E10 compatible a long time ago: It has been mainstream on the continent for decades.

Ditto my 520i and every other petrol vehicle I've owned- It's only high-performance engines that it really benefits. 

Could not stress that last point highly enough. Our E28's are properly old cars now, and regular inspection of rubber fuel system components is vital. Don't let yours get on the evening news for all the wrong reasons!

I hope this puts the issue to bed: 

245151964_10159633897979798_227504671405

| have with research and advise from forum found my e28 518i should run just fine on e10 fuel

The experience i had last week of putting 5 pounds worth in to try the new fuel, was very dissapointing - cut out at idel. Backfired on start up. drained and replaced with e5 in - and lots of white smoke. next day ran fine.

down to the fact im not using the car on a daily basis. 

car been grounded since 2011 from regular service.

The e10 therefore, just absorbed all moisture built up in system and the result was as i found,

in daily operation i dont think it will be a problem. so e5 for now untill cars back in action.

Edited by paulhunter-e28

From personal experience, you need fuel hoses suitable for ethanol. When they first put ethanol in petrol, the older hoses would deteriorate very fast. It is not suitable for cars not being used. I have found that it destroys fuel pumps. Because it absorbs moisture it corrodes the metal of the tank and fuel pump parts. I fitted a couple of pumps to a car not being used. It became normal to try to start the car and it would not, problem no fuel delivery. Some fuel pumps are not rated for ethanol.

With leaded petrol I left an Alfa Romeo Alfetta outside in a car park for a year and with the battery charged it fired up first time. If there was ethanol then it is possible that there would have been notcar there a year later.