oldjohnny

BMW parts not the dearest.

I always smarted at the cost of large and small items at BMW but Mercedes have just taken the cake.  Her indoors drives an old but reliable and mint 2004 C class estate and the drivers side wing mirror glass is foggy on the upper half.  It's a heated, self dimming jobbie so rang Mercedes for the cost of a replacement glass only.  Holy Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey!!  £320.00 plus vat.  I didn't quite catch the guys name but I think it was Dick Turpin.    There are replacement types on ebay but although they are adequate for heated set ups, none of them will fit due to the dimming element on our one. Can't even put a  'stick on'  in its place as the thicker rubber surround won't allow it.   Hens teeth search on ebay for a used one but will keep checking.

Dunno about that.  Called a dealer early this week for a replacement drivers door card for the F10.  £1068, phuq me !!!

I only ever really bothered checking main dealer prices for bits for my E28 and E24. Unlike some manufacturers, BM are very good at spares backup for their classics, and in some cases there just is no other option!

But, on the Contrary, Mercedes are now the only brand I've ever owned and worked on where I'd always consult a main dealer first for parts.

Back in March I had to replace a pair of front springs on my similarly old but trusty E-class Estate. I bought euro car parts items, which worked out at about 50 pounds each on one of their plethora of discount codes. 

Turned out that Mercedes items would have been just 13 pounds a piece, more expensive. Totally worth it- had I known I would have definitely have chosen those!

Dave.

Just like you I have experienced cheaper parts from main dealers over the years which was why I checked with MB Belfast first, but with a resulting mild heart attack in this instance.  The prices on ebay etc reflect, (no pun intended) that these mirrors are still in high demand despite their age.