mystic_525_tds

E61 REAR SUSPENSION FAILURE  CAN I RAISE IT WITH INPA?

Hey guys i have an ongoing temperamental issue with the level control failure, it comes and goes. The previous owner changed the compressor and relay 2 years ago. I am going to replace the relay first to see on the off chance if it helps. Anyway i dont want my rear suspension sitting low, can i use inpa and my diagnostic cable to raise it manually as a temporary measure? If so please can you tell me how its done. cheers guys.

20211006_091720.jpg

Yes you can but as in my reply to your previous posts on this subject.

You have a leak (but according to you you don't just electrical gremlins :blink:)

Get the codes read if you don't just want to throw parts at it.

8 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Yes you can but as in my reply to your previous posts on this subject.

You have a leak (but according to you you don't just electrical gremlins :blink:)

Get the codes read if you don't just want to throw parts at it.

Hi mate thanks for your reply. The codes are - 5F99 5F9A 5F98 5F97. I got the car a few weeks ago. Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to this level control system and im not claiming to be sure about anything. I dont want people to think i know more than them. I will happy replace anything that is definitely faulty and hopefully with some reasonable logic behind it too.

Please can you instruct me how to raise it with Inpa. I have searched thoroughly and read many posts in various places but not 1 tells me how to do this. Its highly important i get the rear raised as a temp fix.

I will happily replace anything that definitely needs replacing. I just want to be sure im doing the right thing. There are many posts where people replace various parts and dont fix the issue,  i want to avoid that if i can. So can you say for certainly that my airbags need replacing? Everything was fine for a few weeks after the first incident. I left the car unused for a couple of days and the suspension was fine, no sagging that i noticed. 

Nobody can be sure what the first incident was, it was there for a couple of days and then was working again. It could have been a one off. There are electrical parts to consider too, fuses, ecu, relay, wiring. It may well have been an electrical gremlin. Now its returned so i can now rule that theory out. 

I tested the wiring at the relay, the thick blue and red wire is live, the other wires are not. I also bridged the thick blue/red and black/yellow terminals but it did not make the compressor work.  I will check  air intake hose on Friday as i have a busy week. I have also read people get issues with ride height sensors too.

Thanks again 

I'm by no means an expert,  but I've had a fair bit of experience with mine.

I don't personally know how you can alter the rear ride height in impa but I know it can be done.

BUT you have an issue with a leak (why it's on it's arse) & your compressor isn't working/being triggered.

Altering the ride height with impa or ista will only work if the system is working.

Where abouts are you?

You need to get someone to read the codes that can tell you what they mean.

GoNz0 is my go to, the man is a BMW guru :)

28 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

I'm by no means an expert,  but I've had a fair bit of experience with mine.

I don't personally know how you can alter the rear ride height in impa but I know it can be done.

BUT you have an issue with a leak (why it's on it's arse) & your compressor isn't working/being triggered.

Altering the ride height with impa or ista will only work if the system is working.

Where abouts are you?

You need to get someone to read the codes that can tell you what they mean.

GoNz0 is my go to, the man is a BMW guru :)

Many thanks for your reply. I initially thought that some rear end sagging was normal and the compressor would compensate this, are you saying there should be no air leakage? I am in Glasgow.

I replaced the relay and checked the fuses again and as i thought the relay made no difference.

Tomorrow i will test test the compressor on the car, i will give the terminals a live and earth and see if it kicks in, i will also check the air intake pipe. I have seen some people raise the car using a tyre valve on the outlet pipe, i might try this too.

the codes dont really point to anything specific. I just found the codes on a bmw codes database so they may not be precise.

5F99    EHC: Control-time fault, lifting, rear right

5F9A    EHC: Control time fault, lifting

5F97    EHC: Compressor relay

5F98    EHC: Control-time fault, lifting, rear left

Edited by mystic_525_tds

So you have two leaking airbags,

SF98 & SF99 & this has caused the compressor too prematurely give up.

The time fault is the clue, it's taking too long to inflate the bags due to a worn compressor.

Yes the system is always active, my cuts in once a day but only for seconds.

13 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

So you have two leaking airbags,

SF98 & SF99 & this has caused the compressor too prematurely give up.

The time fault is the clue, it's taking too long to inflate the bags due to a worn compressor.

Yes the system is always active, my cuts in once a day but only for seconds.

Many thanks for your reply so should good airbags not sag at all even over a few weeks?

I have no power going to the solenoid valves nor to the compressor, what could cause this is the white ecu box a possible culprit?

I spent hours under the car yesterday and i finally got the suspension raised. My findings are -

1 - the intake pipe is ok a bit soft but i will replace it soon, its not the cause of this problem.

2 - there is no power going to the live terminals on the solenoid valves or the compressor.

3 - the compressor and solenoids work fine one i fed them with a direct live and earth and this raised the car.

4 - its not the relay as it been replaced again.

5 - i raised the rear suspension on both sides and it still looks fine today after 15 hours.

6 - the protective under tray is cracked in many places, needs replacing.

Capture.JPG

20211009_152253.jpg

20211009_152620.jpg

20211009_153022.jpg

Yes your air suspension will drop slightly over time but if by much you have a leak.

It sounds like transport mode has been triggered, this happened on mine when I was working on it.

I don't know why or how but GoNz0 put it right for me (I'm a bit behind with the computer's)

1 hour ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Yes your air suspension will drop slightly over time but if by much you have a leak.

It sounds like transport mode has been triggered, this happened on mine when I was working on it.

I don't know why or how but GoNz0 put it right for me (I'm a bit behind with the computer's)

If that is the case it will say so on ISTA, I can help if you're near Derby?

19 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

As a rough guide what drop is considered too much? I want to monitor if the air bags need replacing now or not .;)

I have not heard about transport mode. After a quick search im downloading Insta+. ;)

18 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Hi mate im in Glasgow im afraid. I have decided to download Insta+ so ill download it tonight. I take it you can only check this using software.? Thanks  ;)

On 10/10/2021 at 20:38, GoNz0 said:

Hi mate i did a lot of research regarding transport mode and i have also installed Ista+. I managed to get it to communicate with my car, for basic practice i did the error code scan and then i erased the codes, i will monitor them going forward. 

I found the 'transport mode' section where it gives you the option to delete transport mode. I did not do anything other than navigate to this section. How do i check if my car is in transport mode or not? many thanks. ;)

3 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Yup that was me, GoNz0 said transport mode & by golly he was right :)

I had no idea this even existed. I have installed Ista+ and got it working, i just need some further guidance on how to check if transport mode is on or not. ;)

ISTA would say it's in transport mode usually when it runs diagnostics, you can try and delete it but it may not let you if i isn't already in it.

On 12/10/2021 at 06:48, aa86 said:

You can raise and lower the air suspension in inpa. You can also set and remove transport mode. I done this a few months ago.

Thanks for your reply. I had read that too but i asked in several places and searched extensively but i found no guide on how to do this, only people mentioning it can be done. I have installed ISTA+ now so it looks more user friendly.

On 12/10/2021 at 17:12, GoNz0 said:

ISTA would say it's in transport mode usually when it runs diagnostics, you can try and delete it but it may not let you if i isn't already in it.

Hi mate thanks for your reply. I did not see anything mentioning the transport mode. I tried deleting it anyway but i double clicked on the button, i have no idea if i did the right thing, the task was now in the active operations list, i dont know what that means, i tried to close it and i had to close the operation first. I cant find any guides on Ista+ and transport mode. ;)

The air suspension seems to be working fine now and i dont know what the root cause was. 

One train of thought is that when i used Ista+, i did a scan and deleted all fault codes, whether than helped who knows. Maybe myself and Inpa did something to cause this problem.

Another train of thought is all my checking, plugging things in and unplugging things may have fixed a loose terminal or something ie the control unit. 

The only thing i replaced was the relay and it was not that. 

2 days ago i moved both L and R level sensors at the rear, they both started the compressor and valves so this proved everything was fine, when i put the car on the ground it came on again and raised it a little and settled at the right height. 

I took a pic of my drivers air bag, it looks ok compared to some pics i have seen, the other side looks the same, i dont know if this is an oem part or not but i dont see any bad wear to speak of.

20211012_191212.jpg

20211012_191219.jpg

20211012_191227.jpg

3 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

That bags going to blow soon m8

Hi mate why do you say that, is that small split a bad sign, i thought maybe it was a moulding line from when is was manufactured and moulded. Is there any way to tell if these are the original oem ones? 

16 hours ago, mystic_525_tds said:

Hi mate why do you say that, is that small split a bad sign, i thought maybe it was a moulding line from when is was manufactured and moulded. Is there any way to tell if these are the original oem ones? 

That split was never there m8, it will be down to the cords and one pothole from failing. Really really easy to swap as well.

On 14/10/2021 at 21:11, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Yeah that bag is done, that split shouldn't be there.

When they are removed on one end you will see the BMW sticker if oe.

Mine were at 138k & 13 year's old.

Thanks for your reply and the information. Am i right in thinking Arnott dont make the air bags for the Msport model? ;)

On 15/10/2021 at 10:11, GoNz0 said:

That split was never there m8, it will be down to the cords and one pothole from failing. Really really easy to swap as well.

Many thanks for your reply i have looked at a couple of video's and it does look easy enough for me. What brand do you recommend for the msport model? ;)

27 minutes ago, mystic_525_tds said:

Many thanks for your reply i have looked at a couple of video's and it does look easy enough for me. What brand do you recommend for the msport model? ;)

BMW supply you with Bilstein B3 bags, I'd suggest one of those if you can afford them, failing that Dunlop. Don't buy the £50 specials, one unfolded on a lads car and nearly blew out.