Sign in to follow this  
Numero9

Which is the right battery?

Got a 2008, E61, LCI, 535d, on realOEM there are a list of options. The car each morning has the error which resets the clocks and from what I've read is signs the battery is on it's way out. The last owners did take good care of the car but how do I know which is right AH for the car?

Also am I right in thinking if I swap like for like in AH it is a case of just registering the battery but if I change the AH then I have to register and code it?

I recall when I was buying it that I checked the issue and it was either resolved or was fixed in the LCI.

Terminals properly connected, issue has only appeared over the last 2 days. Battery hasn't been touched in the last 6 months at least, hence the thinking it's on its way out

I would recommend getting either Carly or ISTA (or some other code reader) as they can tell you if the battery is healthy. You're wasting £100+ buying a new one if it's another issue like the IBS. These cars come with 90ah from the factory, I put 110 in mine and had to code it to match.

20 hours ago, edd_jedi said:

I would recommend getting either Carly or ISTA (or some other code reader) as they can tell you if the battery is healthy. You're wasting £100+ buying a new one if it's another issue like the IBS. These cars come with 90ah from the factory, I put 110 in mine and had to code it to match.

I have ISTA, whats the route to test the battery? I can check this tonight

Whats the IBS issue, is it common?

Was there a reason you put 110ah in?

19 hours ago, Clavurion said:

The recall includes LCI models too. 

What do I need to check to see if it has already been done? It was something I wasn't worried about as I thought it was sorted but now I am doubting myself.

1 hour ago, Numero9 said:

In service options it's under body > voltage, there you can check battery health such as charge history etc. It will tell you if the battery is healthy or needs replacing.

I put 110ah in mine as I regularly go a week or longer without driving it, so I thought it should help avoid going flat for longer.

The IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) can cause battery drain if faulty, it's easy to check and a cheap fix, have a read of this:

7 hours ago, Numero9 said:

Yeah, with a straight six diesel lump you want the most power you can get.

110ah 100% or a AGM battery.

You really need to get the diagnostics on it, driving it won't fully charge the battery (especially if the IBS is faulty or the battery is toast) and the recall is for a potential fire hazard, nothing to do with battery operation.

1 hour ago, edd_jedi said:

the recall is for a potential fire hazard, nothing to do with battery operation.

Not sure what you mean by this. If that battery cable connector is corroded there is additional resistance on the cable coming from alternator and starter motor to battery. In some cases it can even be partially shorted to body draining the battery. 

Yes, but that's worst case scenario. For the vast majority of cars like mine, even at 15 years old they spent 10 minutes looking at it and said it was fine. The likelihood of this being the cause of the problem is miniscule, it's far more likely to be the battery itself or the IBS. And without using ISTA it's pure guess work.

Edited by edd_jedi

On 10/5/2021 at 2:59 PM, Numero9 said:

Got a 2008, E61, LCI, 535d, on realOEM there are a list of options. The car each morning has the error which resets the clocks and from what I've read is signs the battery is on it's way out. The last owners did take good care of the car but how do I know which is right AH for the car?

Also am I right in thinking if I swap like for like in AH it is a case of just registering the battery but if I change the AH then I have to register and code it?

I had this problem, turns out the dealer I bought it from had just chucked in a new el cheepo battery & not coded or registered it.

Yes if you swap like for like you can just register not code, if you go for a bigger ah than the car is coded for then yes you need to code as well.

Check what your car is programmed for using ISTA+ impa, Carly ect.

Also your voltage regulator could be going bad (to add to the fun).