RH12ONS

ISO Dashcam for G30/G31

Hi all,

First post!

My 2018 G31 gets delivered tomorrow and I have been looking at new dashcam options, does anyone have any experience of the ISO dashcam on Amazon

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/IRO-Dashcam-BMW-(G30-G31/dp/B07FBGDQRM/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=GaLBE&pf_rd_p=a71261a5-450a-406b-a560-7052648aeb75&pf_rd_r=022ETK8FM2RY16T40PWB&pd_rd_r=c241c2fa-7a77-4a46-b826-a2a692ea31c5&pd_rd_wg=0mjU5&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

It looks great as it is totally hidden which is the plus for me but their aren't any reviews out there for it and the reviews for the app are awful!

Has anyone got this at all?

Rich

3 hours ago, RH12ONS said:

Hi all,

First post!

My 2018 G31 gets delivered tomorrow and I have been looking at new dashcam options, does anyone have any experience of the ISO dashcam on Amazon

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/IRO-Dashcam-BMW-(G30-G31/dp/B07FBGDQRM/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=GaLBE&pf_rd_p=a71261a5-450a-406b-a560-7052648aeb75&pf_rd_r=022ETK8FM2RY16T40PWB&pd_rd_r=c241c2fa-7a77-4a46-b826-a2a692ea31c5&pd_rd_wg=0mjU5&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

It looks great as it is totally hidden which is the plus for me but their aren't any reviews out there for it and the reviews for the app are awful!

Has anyone got this at all?

Rich

I can’t answer your question as I’ve not used one of these. I have the Nextbase 522 dash cam hardwired and from the driver’s seat it is totally hidden by the mirror. Good quality and a renowned brand. ISO - not so much. 

I have an Anker Roav dashcam which is also hidden by the mirror from drivers POV - at least it's a brand I trust. I think due to Brexit and/or some other supply issues they are not available domestically at the moment.

Personally I'd focus less on one specifically for your car and look more broadly at reputable, proven products which have a wider audience therefore more user feedback

As above really, never heard of them and lack of reviews would put me off. I also like them to be covert so put them behind the mirror on the passenger side. 

I've had dashcams in my cars for the last 10 years or so and tried various makes. Currently we have Viofo A119's (mines the V3, the kids and Mrs the older ones) all hardwired and they've been faultless. 

I suppose if you want the one in your link you can test it and return it if not happy with Amazon.

Tanks for the feedback, I had hoped someone had tried it, I had a Garmin in my previous car but will be transferring it to the wife's car and was looking for something unobtrusive, I like the look of the Viofo's so will do further research on them. I would generally go for the trusted brands but this looked interesting.

If you just want to know about how good is the dashcam and don't want any comment on the price, then I can tell you that all the dashcam brands from Amazon are all okay. Almost all of them use same/similar hardware + software solutions from Taiwan companies (if remember correctly, three of them supply solutions to 80% of dashcam including those famous brand in UK). Many of my friends in China installed them in their not only BMW (almost all series), but also other brands of cars. No issue at all and fit around the rear view mirror perfectly. Majority of them have lasted two to three years before any issue appears. 

Now, back to my initial comment about it's expensive. I've attached a screenshot of the price in China. Majority of them are retailed at between 299 RMB to 599 RMB (RMB is Chinese currency and the exchange rate at the moment is about 1GBP = 8.8RMB) and the 499/599 RMB one nowadays comes with 4K resolution, GPS, wifi, 4G Mobile connectivity for wifi hotspot and remote monitoring or even 360 degree surround recording (use three or four camera in one unit). Some latest one even have some ADAS functions built in. The one in your link is at about 300-400RMB range which is about 30-40GBP. Therefore, I think the price is so expensive and the trader must have more than 100% profit margin.  

Finally, about the quality. You may say that for £149 and only last two to three years, the made in China quality is so poor. I totally agree. If I pay £149 for a dashcam, I would expect it to last more than 10 years. However, considering the retail price of this (trade price is even lower) in the country where they are made, £30 dashcam lasts for 2-3 years, I think it's reasonable. In fact, my current two dashcams, when I bought, were about £100 in total and one of them are 10 years old and the other is 8 years old. They have written through their third SD card (Flash memory has limit on the amount data that can be written) and still going.

Capture.PNG

Edited by q96169we

The quality of camera's image and build @ 8 and 10 years old is shocking in comparison to todays offerings, I'd certainly not entertain one...

My first one was a Roadhawk which I still have, the quality is v poor in comparison but each to their own I guess.

So would you recommend this one from amazon then ;)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YoBuyBuy-Digital-Recorder-Detection-Avtoregistrator/dp/B09HKYQFLP/ref=sr_1_119?dchild=1&keywords=dashcam&qid=1633618680&sr=8-119

Edited by bmwf113.0d

1 hour ago, bmwf113.0d said:

The quality of camera's image and build @ 8 and 10 years old is shocking in comparison to todays offerings, I'd certainly not entertain one...

Tried to search some of my previous post about winter tyre. The video in those posts were from the 10 years old dashcam. See what you think about the quality. The resolution should be 1080p and the dashcam was about £30 when I bought it (exchange rate at that time is about 1:10).

1 hour ago, bmwf113.0d said:

So would you recommend this one from amazon then ;)?

Personally, I won't buy it as I want a dashcam to be kind of install then forget device. It will work and the video quality should be similar to the video in those posts as mentioned above. But don't expect it to last for the entire duration of the 4 years PCP deal of the car. However, if one just need it for the last year or half of the PCP and don't bother to remove it when return or sell the car, then it won't let you down. To be honest, if you have some basic PCB soldering skill and enjoying doing some handy work, get one and when it goes wrong, it's either the outer shell cracked or some parts on the PCB need, what I describ as, top-up soldering to make the circuit board contact more secure. No further part will go wrong. Basically, the image sensor is likely from sony and the main chip is likely to be our Cortex-M3 based chip implemented by Taiwan companies and manufactured by TSMC. The reason it's so cheap compared to, let's say, NextBase is that the key components might be recycled parts. Someone buys a £250 nextbase dashcam (also made in China) in UK and may recycle it 5 years later due to same issue as above. The recycled dashcam is then dumped back to China where the key components are re-used to produce something new such as the  £8.99 dashcam in your link. In China, these kind of dashcams are usually gifted if you buy something else (e.g a pressure washer for car).

I currently have this one ( https://youtu.be/a6jDYKtXoiw ) travelling at the sea toward me to replace my 10 years old dashcam. Although the 10 years old dashcam is still going, it's a bit too big for my Z4 so want to replace it. Compared to the spec in the video, mine has 128GB internal memory, 4G mobile connectivity in addition. The price quoted in the video is $139 whereas the price in China is 659 RMB (about £75, most expensive I've bought so far) after all discounts being applied. Looking at the address printed on the bag of wire in this video, I even know where that is. I had stayed in that city for 15+ years. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by q96169we

Another vote for the Nextbase 522 from me, I have the rear windscreen camera too. 
I mounted the front camera just on my side of the rear view mirror, non obtrusive,  I have the screen saver set to GPS speed which is handyto glance at. 

I have a Viofo on its way to me with rear camera and Bluetooth button. 4K with buffered parking mode.  They had a discount on their website due to a Chinese holiday so I just went for it, I just hope its not too bulky.