Nick E

Sudden overheat

So, apparently the radiator fan blades had snapped off and punctured the radiator.

God knows how that happened. I don't remember driving over anything, and I don't remember hearing any noises.

So, I'm looking at a new fan, new radiator and possible viscous coupling before they can even pressurize the engine up.

EML light on also saying coilpack 3 is out.

1 hour ago, Nick E said:

So, apparently the radiator fan blades had snapped off and punctured the radiator.

God knows how that happened. I don't remember driving over anything, and I don't remember hearing any noises.

So, I'm looking at a new fan, new radiator and possible viscous coupling before they can even pressurize the engine up.

EML light on also saying coilpack 3 is out.

Viscous fan failure; happens with age

Replace the viscous fan (Behr only IMO) and go for either a Nissens or Behr rad

Fan blade: https://www.c3bmw.co.uk/fan-blade-e36-e39-z3-e46-e38-x5/p/606

Viscous fan: https://www.c3bmw.co.uk/viscous-coupling-m52-m54/p/661

Rad: https://www.c3bmw.co.uk/radiator-e39/p/2325

I'd also replace the belts at the same time (peace of mind and they're not expensive)

23 minutes ago, Nick E said:

Keep saying to myself the same shitstorm could have happened even if this was a Ford Focus..

Yup; just age and wear& tear pal; it happens

You'll soon have it sorted :) 

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yup; just age and wear& tear pal; it happens

You'll soon have it sorted :) 

Just hope the engine isn't toast.. I effectively drove 8 miles with no coolant in it.

Usually when viscous clutch gets permanently locked fan blades do snap because of spinning too fast. And be careful with replacement fan, I know few cases where aftermarket fan snaps again after year, and not because of seized viscous clutch. Better to get OEM or well known manufacturers part.

3 hours ago, Nick E said:

Just hope the engine isn't toast.. I effectively drove 8 miles with no coolant in it.

No oil would be much worse than no coolant, if you stopped as soon as the gauge went to high then it should be fine. Good luck mate and keep us posted!

2 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Usually when viscous clutch gets permanently locked fan blades do snap because of spinning too fast. And be careful with replacement fan, I know few cases where aftermarket fan snaps again after year, and not because of seized viscous clutch. Better to get OEM or well known manufacturers part.

Yup, that's why I've linked to Behr, they're OEM 

On 10/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, Nick E said:

if I've had the viscous done before in my ownership

New radiator, fan, viscous coupling, coolant top up and check. Belts and hoses were fine. Seems to be holding up temp wise, and is driving fine, so I guess I dodged the head gasket bullet.

I'm £500 lighter though..  My sump gasket has a leak. Its also leaking oil up behind the ac compressor. My power steering has a leak, as does the a.c. That will have to bloody wait. Next step is to fix the hedgehog, the exterior painting I wanted to do before it broke down, and the underneath pre winter rust proofing.

What a difference to the mighty Nissan Micra I've been driving round in for the last  10 days. I've spent £25 on that in the last year.

Edited by Nick E

Yebbut - Nissan Micras don't come with a fantastic silky , willing straight -6 in a biddable chassis that is a joy whether you are pottering about shopping, commuting or ...just out for a drive (which could be 6 or 600 miles, and you'd still enjoy.)

<insert thumbs-up gif for your efforts, here />

Edited by Huff

5 hours ago, Huff said:

Yebbut - Nissan Micras don't come with a fantastic silky , willing straight -6 in a biddable chassis that is a joy whether you are pottering about shopping, commuting or ...just out for a drive (which could be 6 or 600 miles, and you'd still enjoy.)

<insert thumbs-up gif for your efforts, here />

But they're a lot better in the snow, and for not giving a damm motoring, they're awesome!

hi, sorry to hear that your clutch fan blades has done this to the car! i can't imagine the clutch for the fan being the cause for your problem because it would be result if water pump pulley being also affected. probably the fan blades being too old and cracked. you should check this parts often! if you are on the market for clutch for your viscous fan do try and buy sachs ( effectivelly zf) as it is the only one of similar quality to bmw behr. it is behr what bmw used as an oem at the time, but aftermarket behr are not good choice people comment!

sachs clutch is hard to find in the uk, fortunatelly autodoc source them and their price for the unit is second to none when on sale which happens at least once a week. thanks

7 hours ago, rabotnika said:

hi, sorry to hear that your clutch fan blades has done this to the car! i can't imagine the clutch for the fan being the cause for your problem because it would be result if water pump pulley being also affected. probably the fan blades being too old and cracked. you should check this parts often! if you are on the market for clutch for your viscous fan do try and buy sachs ( effectivelly zf) as it is the only one of similar quality to bmw behr. it is behr what bmw used as an oem at the time, but aftermarket behr are not good choice people comment!

Seized thermal coupler clutch is most common reason for snapping fan blades. Simply fan is spinning with speed of engine all time, and that's too much stress for fan blades. Obviously age and heat doesn't help plastic and it's getting more brittle over years.

i stand corrected the fluid inside the clutch is there for this puropse yes, to prevent 1:1 with the engine speed. thanks Ray112!

anyone interested i have good condition genuine clutch for the fan for anyone interested. :)

3 hours ago, rabotnika said:

i stand corrected the fluid inside the clutch is there for this puropse yes, to prevent 1:1 with the engine speed. thanks Ray112!

anyone interested i have good condition genuine clutch for the fan for anyone interested. :)

Kind of liquid/gel what I have heard. Never took one apart so won't comment about what's exactly inside.  About failures, there are two failures possible, one when thermal coupler won't lock up, which can cause overheating problems. And other when thermal coupler has mechanically jammed and is spinning all time with equal to engine speed. 

I've also seen cars where the fan shroud was out of place because someone had replaced the radiator and failed to transfer the rubber mounts it sits on. It'll go back together and look ok-ish without them but the fan clearance is reduced by about 3cm, enough that (especially with worn engine mounts) the fan can eventually make contact.

#5 in the picture. They tend to catch on something and drop off when the radiator is pulled up, easy to miss and lose if you aren't familiar with these cars. There's one on each side.

image.png.39367f7b986eac7f60f0768bf6810a12.png