Sign in to follow this  
hailstone

Replacement tyre advice

Hello Everyone, 

I am new to the forum and looking for some advice please. I am sure this question has been asked many times over the years, so I hope you don't think me lazy in asking for your current views and assistance! 

I drive a 2018 530d xDrive M-Sport Touring, with 20" wheels.

The original tyres are due for replacement and are: 

245/45/20 (Front)

275/30/20 (Rear)

Pirelli P-Zero Run Flat. 

The combination of M-Sport, 20" wheels and Run Flat tyres means that the cabin noise is horrendous, and the ride is extremely firm. 

I would like to explore alternatives that reduce the noise and makes the ride more supple. 

Has anybody here been in the same boat as me, and what would you recommend? 

Thank you!

Edited by hailstone

57 minutes ago, hailstone said:

Hello Everyone, 

I am new to the forum and looking for some advice please. I am sure this question has been asked many times over the years, so I hope you don't think me lazy in asking for your current views and assistance! 

I drive a 2018 530d xDrive M-Sport Touring, with 20" wheels.

The original tyres are due for replacement and are: 

245/45/20 (Front)

275/30/20 (Rear)

Pirelli P-Zero Run Flat. 

The combination of M-Sport, 20" wheels and Run Flat tyres means that the cabin noise is horrendous, and the ride is extremely firm. 

I would like to explore alternatives that reduce the noise and makes the ride more supple. 

Has anybody here been in the same boat as me, and what would you recommend? 

Thank you!

A common fix is to change to non-RFT tyres of the same size. Reducing wheel size is another option but from others' experiences the RFT to non-RFT swap on the same wheel is a good option.

The above is the answer really, going to non-RFT and/or a smaller wheel will reduce noise and harshness. If you're attached to the look of your current wheels, go to non-RFT, it will definitely be an improvement (for reference, my F10 was smoother and quieter on 19" with non-RFT than on 18" with RFT). Otherwise, the smaller the rim, the quieter and smoother it will be.

Hi all,

I hope someone could help and sorry hailstone to add my question to your discussion but didn’t want to create another topic as my question is little bit similar to yours, so….

I drive a 2017 520d M-Sport Touring, with 20" wheels (rear wheel drive only) and currently have tyres:

- front 235/35/20

- rear 275/30/20

I'm aware that the front should be 245/35/20 but when I bought the car that tyres was fitted in the car.

“Winter is coming” and where I leave it going to be challenging to drive so decided to search for second hand winter tyres and really struggling to find same brand for all four wheels…

manage to find:

1 . Continental Wintercontact :

TS 850P 275/30/20 with 5,5 & 7mm tread DOT 2019

- TS 830P 245/30/20 with 7mm tread DOT 2019

or

2. Pirelli Sottozero II:

- W270S 275/35/20 with 5mm tread DOT 2017

- W240S 245/40/20 with 5mm tread DOT 2016

which of those would you recommend?

Alternatively I could find two different brand for front and back - would you recommend this solution?

Many thanks in advance!

Bart

1 hour ago, s1wek said:

Hi all,

I hope someone could help and sorry hailstone to add my question to your discussion but didn’t want to create another topic as my question is little bit similar to yours, so….

I drive a 2017 520d M-Sport Touring, with 20" wheels (rear wheel drive only) and currently have tyres:

- front 235/35/20

- rear 275/30/20

I'm aware that the front should be 245/35/20 but when I bought the car that tyres was fitted in the car.

“Winter is coming” and where I leave it going to be challenging to drive so decided to search for second hand winter tyres and really struggling to find same brand for all four wheels…

manage to find:

1 . Continental Wintercontact :

TS 850P 275/30/20 with 5,5 & 7mm tread DOT 2019

- TS 830P 245/30/20 with 7mm tread DOT 2019

or

2. Pirelli Sottozero II:

- W270S 275/35/20 with 5mm tread DOT 2017

- W240S 245/40/20 with 5mm tread DOT 2016

which of those would you recommend?

Alternatively I could find two different brand for front and back - would you recommend this solution?

Many thanks in advance!

Bart

Search for a 2nd set of wheels - 19" with a square setup for your car and winter tyres - 245/40R19 - 8jx19 ET:30 offset. 

Matthew thanks for the message however didn’t want to spend a £1,000 for the wheels and tyres, I’m trying to cut the costs…. Max spend for wheels and tyres £800

On 10/1/2021 at 12:22 PM, s1wek said:

Matthew thanks for the message however didn’t want to spend a £1,000 for the wheels and tyres, I’m trying to cut the costs…. Max spend for wheels and tyres £800

If you don't have m sport brake (blue one),  try 17 inch wheel on ebay. £300 for the alloy and 500 for the tyres. In total, £800. This is what I did last year. Or, go for 18 inch, maybe £100-£200 more.

I have a similar dilemma, just acquired a G31 with 275/35/19 on rear and 245/40/19 on front. I have always had a set of winter wheels to change over to and I ran my E39 touring on all four of same size. I am looking to buy a full set with winter wheels all same size either 17 or 18"  to keep costs down. Has anyone any experience of those sizes on X drive?

2 minutes ago, Mr H said:

18" (square) are fine on my G31 540i X-Drive ..............

Fine on my 530DX too. I’m on 19” staggered just now but I’ll be putting the 18” winters on about the end of the month.

18 hours ago, FIBAMAN said:

I have a similar dilemma, just acquired a G31 with 275/35/19 on rear and 245/40/19 on front. I have always had a set of winter wheels to change over to and I ran my E39 touring on all four of same size. I am looking to buy a full set with winter wheels all same size either 17 or 18"  to keep costs down. Has anyone any experience of those sizes on X drive?

For x-drive, as long as it's one of the sizes shown on the tyre pressure plate at driver door frame and go with tyres that have 'star' mark, it should be fine. Otherwise, dealer may use the tyre as an excuse to decline drivetrain warranty claim. Some other forums mentioned that the non-star marked tyre may damage x-drive transfer box, which I don't know how true it is. I have friends with x-drive and have been running on non-star marked PS4s for several years and no issue so far. 

About the price and rim size, if you don't have blue m sport brake, 17-inch usually is the cheapest. However, go for 18-inch will only add £100-£200 more but it looks much better than 17-inch. With blue m sport brake, 17 can be put on but the gap is way too small between the rim drum and the caliper in the front so 18+ inch is recommended for car with m sport brake. I have 17inch as it's the cheapest option at the time I bought them.

Edited by q96169we

Another point I noticed in the hand book was a statement which said  "do not use steel wheels", I cant see any reason for this but as this is my first G31  I may not know it as well as my previous E39, which I ran with steel winter wheels for years without issue. 

I have a set of BMW black 664 19 inch staggered winter wheels shod with Pirelli Sottozero 3's sitting in my garage. Only used 1 winter as unused over the last Covid winter. Sold the G31 in Jan and thought I would put new 45 and 50 profile tyres to fit my new car, but its proving difficult to find a new matching set,  so if anyone is interested, feel free to message me.

On 05/10/2021 at 11:44, FIBAMAN said:

Another point I noticed in the hand book was a statement which said  "do not use steel wheels", I cant see any reason for this but as this is my first G31  I may not know it as well as my previous E39, which I ran with steel winter wheels for years without issue. 

I think this is because these cars use an aluminium center hub on the brake disc rather than it all being cast iron like on the E39. Using a steel wheel might cause galvanic corrosion or deformation (because steel is much harder than aluminium). Just my guess though, I'm not an engineer.

On 07/10/2021 at 09:43, Carlton said:

I think this is because these cars use an aluminium center hub on the brake disc rather than it all being cast iron like on the E39. Using a steel wheel might cause galvanic corrosion or deformation (because steel is much harder than aluminium). Just my guess though, I'm not an engineer.

Good logical answer Carlton, thanks, corrosion protection is my business so I would agree your answer explains it.