d_a_n1979

F01 730D (same N57 as the 530D etc) - battery recommendation

Looking for recommendations of which battery to go for, for my 2011 730D

It doesn't have start/stop; but think the one fitted is an AGM battery

Do I need an AGM battery; if so, what's a good one to go for that's not going to require me selling my kidneys and if not; which non-AGM battery is a good one to go for (typically I've always stuck with Bosch & Yuasa in my previous E39s etc)

Cheers 

11 minutes ago, marko530d said:

Cheers for that. Just found it. 

But have just seen the Halfords deal, £180 all in, AGM battery fitted and coded and 5 year warranty etc... Mobile fitting too! 

6 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Cheers for that. Just found it. 

But have just seen the Halfords deal, £180 all in, AGM battery fitted and coded and 5 year warranty etc... Mobile fitting too! 

Make sure the Ah rating is the same as the old battery if not this will need to be coded to the car as part of the registration process. Don't consider using a traditional lead acid battery instead of the AGM one to save a few pounds.

Just now, Matthew Ashton said:

Make sure the Ah rating is the same as the old battery if not this will need to be coded to the car as part of the registration process. Don't consider using a traditional lead acid battery instead of the AGM one to save a few pounds.

I'd think the fitters with Halfords will know what needs to be coded to the car; my pal had zero issues with his F31 when it went in for a new battery, all properly coded to the car etc :) 

27 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I'd think the fitters with Halfords will know what needs to be coded to the car; my pal had zero issues with his F31 when it went in for a new battery, all properly coded to the car etc :) 

I wouldn't trust halfrauds with a toaster never mind my bmw.

If your local to Newcastle a can code and register battery.  

45 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I'd think the fitters with Halfords will know what needs to be coded to the car; 

You’re so funny Dan. :lol:

18 minutes ago, marko530d said:

I wouldn't trust halfrauds with a toaster never mind my bmw.

+1

As above if you (as in yourself) fit the correct aH size of battery you just need to register it using Carly/Foxwell scanner etc. 

28 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

You’re so funny Dan. :lol:

+1

As above if you (as in yourself) fit the correct aH size of battery you just need to register it using Carly/Foxwell scanner etc. 

The local mobile fitter that works for Halfords that does the batteries and other stuff is an ex-BMW mechanic that now subs out to Halfords; hence why my pal used him, so only talking about this specific Halfords in Preston ;) But agree, generally wouldn't go near them!

I've just seen that I can code the battery with Carly, but do I need anything else, or do I just take old battery out, put new one in and register it? Is it as simple as that...

Oh, PM sent too Andrew

Edited by d_a_n1979

Ahhh but you see Dan you’re  not dealing with a Halfrauds employee! 

But yeah old battery out, new one in then plug in your diagnostics and register the new battery. It needs registered so the car knows it’s got a new battery which has a very different charge/discharge cycle so will adapt the way it now charges the new battery compared to how it charged your old battery. 

It all means the alternator works more efficiently so you use 10ml less fuel on a trip which means you get 0.000001 mpg more and a micron less of C02 produced keeping Greta and her pals happy.  But you pay £250 instead of £100 for a battery. 

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Ahhh but you see Dan you’re  not dealing with a Halfrauds employee! 

But yeah old battery out, new one in then plug in your diagnostics and register the new battery. It needs registered so the car knows it’s got a new battery which has a very different charge/discharge cycle so will adapt the way it now charges the new battery compared to how it charged your old battery. 

It all means the alternator works more efficiently so you use 10ml less fuel on a trip which means you get 0.000001 mpg more and a micron less of C02 produced keeping Greta and her pals happy.  But you pay £250 instead of £100 for a battery. 

Greta, the little fu*ktrumpet can piss right off... :lol: 

And yeah; if I can code it myself I will do...

Last time I went through this was in the E65, but the Carly wouldn't register the battery on that series :roll: 

I fitted the same battery as @marko530d linked you to above. It's been working fine on my car for over 2 years. I fitted and registered it easily using ISTA. No coding needed as it was the same rating as the old one. 

5 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

I fitted the same battery as @marko530d linked you to above. It's been working fine on my car for over 2 years. I fitted and registered it easily using ISTA. No coding needed as it was the same rating as the old one. 

Yeah I got link off you buddy great battery more powerful too.

No more battery drain issue's :)

Old battery was 10 year's old done well.

21 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Cheers folks. It's the Exide I'll be going for 

Fantastic battery do you have a agm smart charger give mine a full charger before installation buddy.

14 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Ctek MXS5.0 smart charger (AGM)  is to be recommended @d_a_n1979. It's the same as you'd buy from a BMW dealer. 

Already have one pal and it's already been plugged in ;)

1 hour ago, marko530d said:

Fantastic battery do you have a agm smart charger give mine a full charger before installation buddy.

Yup, as above, CTEK. 

I'll have it on charge for a few days before I swap it out.. 

When I do swap the batteries, will I just need to reset the time/date etc or does anything else need to be sorted bar the registration? 

Update... Battery fitted and Carly can't code it to the car... Keeps coming up with an error

Are the 2011 cars capable of taking a 105AH battery; it has it in the list on Carly; goes through the motions but then fails at the last step

I've emailed them to see what they say; but wanted to ask on here too

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Update... Battery fitted and Carly can't code it to the car... Keeps coming up with an error

Are the 2011 cars capable of taking a 105AH battery; it has it in the list on Carly; goes through the motions but then fails at the last step

I've emailed them to see what they say; but wanted to ask on here too

Yes, 2011 can take the 105Ah battery.

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Yes, 2011 can take the 105Ah battery.

Appears Carly can't register it :( Will try another way