e34m525i

Lcm coding advice

My lcm 4b packed in (xenon issued car with self levelling lights) 

anyway got a replacement lcm out of one of my other cars as I had a spare 3 and the car I question didn’t have the light sensor so whilst the 4 defo has the option for that I decided to use that, 

however the new lcm I’m using is for manual level aim, as I understand it manual lcm have extra components within the lcm for the roller wheel on the dash to function where as the self level has it’s own control system

anyway I’ve put the lcm in and coded it up in nts and it’s working great no faults and operating well, apart from the self level headlights, I’ve been into pa soft after using nts to see if the coding had ticked the xenon light option and it all looks ok, however the lights don’t seem to be auto adjusting, so just wondered if there was a way to code this function back in or will I need an auto level labelled lcm? 

I read that it can be coded to a manual but manual can’t be coded to an auto one if that’s correct id just like to know what program and option I need to enable to get it tip top!

NCS expert will do it. In fact today I just coded my E38 xenon retrofit (without auto leveling) to work with the LCM4 firing up the xenon's correctly with the manual thumb wheel adjustment. These are options that were not on BMW's standard configuration so you have to step carefully.

Edited by osc

That’s the thing I’m attempting a man lcm into an auto lwr levelling car, it’s coded in nts well no errors, and works as it should But I’m pretty certain at present the lcm isn’t acting on the self levelling set up, so just wondered if there were anyways after coding to further get this going or if the man lcm cannot get coded to work the auto lwr, I’ve read you can go man ecu on auto but never auto on man as the lcm

doesn't have the components to drive the wheel to adjust the lights on manual cars as only lcm man have that

but usually the man part gets disabled and the lcm just goes through the auto separate lwr module, but in my case it looks like it hadn’t so just need to know how to code that last bit in!

If you code the LCM to the ZCS of the car then it will use the correct setting. This is much better than ticking options in isolation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’ve done the nts coding and when checked in pa soft all the correct coding is there, I thought when coding the lcm even tho it was issued for man could be used for auto lwr as the car has a separate lwr module for the self levelling.

LCM4 is the same hardware for manual or auto. The configuration takes care of it.

I don’t believe the lcm4 auto will control a manual car from other discussions I’ve read as it doesn’t have the extra gear inside to operate the wheel on the dash for the levelling however I could be wrong!

its coded up fine, used expert 4.0.1 profile no issues no errors, did the vin and millage first as usual in bmw scanner etc 

it’s just the lights when I push down on the car the lights are not moving or levelling as they should, but the coding looks fine, the old lcm despite it lighting up lights with ignition off didn’t have this issue 

On my lcm4 I there is one pin which goes to the level sensor on autoleveling lights and the adjustmwnt wheel on the other which is the issue in the electronics.

Auto cant be coded to manuel either. Ive tried.

Do note there are lots of lcm4 part numbers with different electronics. So there might be the 1 module where just coding auto or manual does work.

If you buy a new LCM from BMW dealer there is currently available only one model with same part number for with or without xenons. I haven't investigated the changes in previous LCM4 versions but on LCM3 there are physical differences on the board regarding leveling system.

I don’t believe the lcm4 auto will control a manual car from other discussions I’ve read as it doesn’t have the extra gear inside to operate the wheel on the dash for the levelling however I could be wrong!

its coded up fine, used expert 4.0.1 profile no issues no errors, did the vin and millage first as usual in bmw scanner etc 

it’s just the lights when I push down on the car the lights are not moving or levelling as they should, but the coding looks fine, the old lcm despite it lighting up lights with ignition off didn’t have this issue 
I have LCM4 with xenon's and a manual thumb wheel working on mine. It requires non standard coding.

2 hours ago, osc said:

I have LCM4 with xenon's and a manual thumb wheel working on mine. It requires non standard coding.

Is there need to change any wiring pin assignment?

What parameters need manual changing after normal coding according to ZCS?

39 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Is there need to change any wiring pin assignment?

What parameters need manual changing after normal coding according to ZCS?

It's in an e38 and no extra wiring was required. Add Xenon to FA in hex, then save to IKE and EWS. Code LCM with new FA. Then there is a group of parameters called "potentiometer" in the englsh translation. I played around with the settings here to make the thumbwheel work.

43 minutes ago, osc said:

It's in an e38 and no extra wiring was required. Add Xenon to FA in hex, then save to IKE and EWS. Code LCM with new FA. Then there is a group of parameters called "potentiometer" in the englsh translation. I played around with the settings here to make the thumbwheel work.

So you retrofitted xenon headlights and kept the manual leveling?

So you retrofitted xenon headlights and kept the manual leveling?
Correct, I didn't get a chance to install the self leveling equipment yet.

6 minutes ago, osc said:

Correct, I didn't get a chance to install the self leveling equipment yet.

OK. So this makes the coding part mixed and that's why you needed manual parameter changes. So you would only need both level sensors and wiring to LCM, no need for separate LWR module with LCM4.

Correct on the LCM3 the spec is for manual/auto etc but on LCM4 I keep saying it's all in the software configuration on these modules. I also added autolights from E39, as e38 never had this option.

Edited by osc

10 hours ago, Johan said:

On my lcm4 I there is one pin which goes to the level sensor on autoleveling lights and the adjustmwnt wheel on the other which is the issue in the electronics.

Auto cant be coded to manuel either. Ive tried.

Do note there are lots of lcm4 part numbers with different electronics. So there might be the 1 module where just coding auto or manual does work.

On every LCM model the signal from adjustment potentiometer is connected to LCM connector X10117, pin 34 (not used to anything else). So there should be no discrepancy regardless what aim system you have.

I fitted factory zenons to my car that originally had halogens.  I think i have lcm3 (sept 2002).  All i had to do was code out cold bulb check.  Potentiometer still works and as i have a touring with sls no need to fit the separate headlight levelling system.  I checked the legality on the govt. Website.