Jump to content
max535

Rear swing arm bushes

Recommended Posts

I'm looking replacing these myself and want to make the job as easy as possible but I don't have a press or vice to help me. I was looking at what options are out there and one of them is the Meyle HD kit with the pre-compressed bushes and press tool, but it looks like it doesn't come with a threaded bar so you can wind them on and off by hand with a ratchet, I've dropped a message to the seller but has anyone bought this and how did you get on with it?

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163203903541?epid=16035048817&hash=item25ffb5f035:g:IuUAAOSwA7dbeWjB

 

The other option I was planning to get is a clever looking tool that not only compresses the bushes for you but also comes with the press tool and threaded bar which is great but recently the postage from Poland has gone through the roof at almost £500 so I'll give that a miss...

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283380298610?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dee236d2fd7f147c987557ca626449f90%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D163203903541%26itm%3D283380298610%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A37436b1e-1878-11ec-8bce-4e30e16b3017|parentrq%3Af8c8cc9317b0a7b27ccac75afffa7af2|iid%3A1

 

Any other options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen the Meyle video on this, seems you do need a press or at least that's the intention, but they do have holes on both parts of the tool so i wonder if you could use a threaded bar with it to do the job.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did this job a year or so ago. I found a couple of jubilee clips did the compression bit OK. 

 

I do have a 20 tonne press though. However, I have found that a bush removal tool that is exactly the right size is generally easier to use than my press. So changing the rose bushes with the correct tool was easier than these with a press.

 

When I did mine I found the centre of the bush had corroded to the bolt. The bolt span with the sleeve stuck on in the middle so the bolt couldn't be removed. I have an air chisel and even that couldn't push the bolt through. I had to cut the bolt with an angle grinder. I don't think this is a common problem but something to be aware of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think i read about you using the jubilee clips before, that could work, i dont suppose you know of a bush removal tool that will work on the E60 without spending stupid money?

 

I have done the rose bushes with the ASTA tool which i still have, any chance you know if that will work on the swing arm?

 

Thanks for the note on the bolts getting stuck in the bush, i'll have to make sure they are all turning free before i take any of the arms out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if the ASTA tool will fit - I have one but I don't think it was the right size.

 

I've eyed up a few general purpose BMW bush kits in the past. If you get the bushes first you'll know if the kit covers the size you need.

 

Thinking about the job some more I think the new bushes went in pretty nicely after the arms were cleaned up. The old bushes took some getting out because of all the white alloy corrosion. I pushed the middles through with my press, used a hacksaw from the inside to cut a slot (not all the way through to ensure I didn't damage the arm) then peened in the edges of the old bushes with a small cold chisel before I could push them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just found the notes I made.

 

One bush is 52mm OD when inserted – but seem to typically be listed as 56mm OD.

Search for Lemforder 3493301 about £12.64 a side.

 

The bolts need to be tightened with the wheels on the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't want to be using a hacksaw to remove the outer shell but worst case i have a big boy one i can use, definitely dont want to be drilling them out or burning them out for that matter and yes i generally find its much easier to press new bushes in than out.

 

I just had a look at the ASTA tool and one of the parts is 51mm OD measured with my caliper, so decided to stick my head under the car and try to measure the bush, not easy with the car at ride height but i seem to be getting the same reading of 51mm. Hmmmmm... might have to jack the car up tomorrow and have a closer look but its possible it might just work.

 

Thanks for the part number those are cheaper than i expected, theres an ebay seller that has them listed for £9.95 and they are even cheaper if you buy 2 or more and its free postage :) 

 

Potentially if the ASTA tool works i could pick up some jubilee clips, the bushes and get the entire thing done for less than £50 with hopefully minimal messing about which would be an absolute result!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I’m following this. 
move just discovered I have what I think is a snapped bolt (pic attached)

 

has any one got experience with this. 
how big a pain is this job going to be?  
 

also would the OP consider selling the kit bought to do the job when finished?

D2C9AFA1-38D3-4465-9A2F-BD2ACA8F9A37.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on the inner swingarm bushes.

Impossible to press out, backed up by a m8 who is a BMW specialist and owns his own garage with a 30T press, the reason is the arms are hollow and the bush expands into the hole over time.

To remove he pushes out the rubber part on the press and then cold chisels the sleeve along the slit.

 

My take on this on my drive, I drill out the bush with a hole saw then cold chisel the sleeve.

 

Once out I wire brush drill bit and clean the hole, heat the arm to slightly expand it and give it a quick wipe with fitting paste or grease.

After that I press in with the threaded bar bearing press kit I own using the Meyle adapters

 

If this all seems a bit much and you don't fancy throwing BMW a grand for 2 new arms I offer an exchange service, I ship out 2 used arms with new Meyle HD bushes pressed in for £170

You return your arms and I refund £50 (it costs a tenner to courier them back)

 

Only issue is my E61 arms are already out and I'm waiting for a mate to drop off some E60 arms as that set was bought outright as he didn't want to mess me about and wasn't sure when he could get them fitted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

My take on the inner swingarm bushes.

Impossible to press out, backed up by a m8 who is a BMW specialist and owns his own garage with a 30T press, the reason is the arms are hollow and the bush expands into the hole over time.

To remove he pushes out the rubber part on the press and then cold chisels the sleeve along the slit.

 

My take on this on my drive, I drill out the bush with a hole saw then cold chisel the sleeve.

 

Once out I wire brush drill bit and clean the hole, heat the arm to slightly expand it and give it a quick wipe with fitting paste or grease.

After that I press in with the threaded bar bearing press kit I own using the Meyle adapters

 

If this all seems a bit much and you don't fancy throwing BMW a grand for 2 new arms I offer an exchange service, I ship out 2 used arms with new Meyle HD bushes pressed in for £170

You return your arms and I refund £50 (it costs a tenner to courier them back)

 

Only issue is my E61 arms are already out and I'm waiting for a mate to drop off some E60 arms as that set was bought outright as he didn't want to mess me about and wasn't sure when he could get them fitted.

 

Right ok yeah id rather not deal with any of that and the exchange sounds like a great idea, tbh i dont need to do this urgently. The plan was to get my other car on the road, as soon as thats got an MOT i was going to attack the remaining suspension bushes on the E60, hopefully thats only a few weeks away so how about I drop you a message when I've got the other parts and im ready to do an exchange? :) 

Edited by max535

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, max535 said:

 

Right ok yeah id rather not deal with any of that and the exchange sounds like a great idea, tbh i dont need to do this urgently. The plan was to get my other car on the road, as soon as thats got an MOT i was going to attack the remaining suspension bushes on the E60, hopefully thats only a few weeks away so how about I drop you a message when I've got the other parts and im ready to do an exchange? :) 

Yes m8, message me when you're about ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently part-ex my E60 and have the tool, rose bushes and the link (sorry forgot what's it called) available. Looking for £50 for the lot.

20210922_211558.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2021 at 08:45, JasonH said:

Many thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2021 at 09:03, GoNz0 said:

My take on the inner swingarm bushes.

Impossible to press out, backed up by a m8 who is a BMW specialist and owns his own garage with a 30T press, the reason is the arms are hollow and the bush expands into the hole over time.

To remove he pushes out the rubber part on the press and then cold chisels the sleeve along the slit.

 

My take on this on my drive, I drill out the bush with a hole saw then cold chisel the sleeve.

 

Once out I wire brush drill bit and clean the hole, heat the arm to slightly expand it and give it a quick wipe with fitting paste or grease.

After that I press in with the threaded bar bearing press kit I own using the Meyle adapters

 

If this all seems a bit much and you don't fancy throwing BMW a grand for 2 new arms I offer an exchange service, I ship out 2 used arms with new Meyle HD bushes pressed in for £170

You return your arms and I refund £50 (it costs a tenner to courier them back)

 

Only issue is my E61 arms are already out and I'm waiting for a mate to drop off some E60 arms as that set was bought outright as he didn't want to mess me about and wasn't sure when he could get them fitted.

Brilliant. I’m up for this for my e61. 
just had to put a new tire on because it’s wearing the inside away. 
so sooner rather than later suits me. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EnvyCustomPaint said:

Brilliant. I’m up for this for my e61. 
just had to put a new tire on because it’s wearing the inside away. 
so sooner rather than later suits me. :)

 

You do understand the swing arm bushes and the rose bushes are two different things right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, max535 said:

 

You do understand the swing arm bushes and the rose bushes are two different things right?

Thanks max535. 
I do but… Actually I did miss read GoNz0’s post, Sorry.

I did assume the rose bushes were part of the swing arm and included in the description. (Sorry I’ve not been getting enough sleep lately)

thank you for pointing that out. 

however surly if the rose bush is “dead” the swing arm bushes will be worn. Is there much impact if the swing arm bushes are worn? (My car has 165k on the clock)

if I need to dismantle the swing arm to replace the rose bushes I may as well take two more bolts out and replace the swing arms with refreshed parts whilst I’m at it.

or is that over kill and can the swing arm bushes be tested?

I’m interested to here your thoughts and opinions.

many thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rose bushes fail pretty often.

 

On the rear suspension there's the swing arm bushes and two other arms with ball joints and bushes - so there's a lot going on.

 

In general everything but the rose bush lasts a good while but should be checked every year or two.

 

I only did my swing arm bushes because the camber adjuster bolt was seized into the bush. And actually the main reason my camber was out was because of the failed rose joint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EnvyCustomPaint said:

Thanks max535. 
I do but… Actually I did miss read GoNz0’s post, Sorry.

I did assume the rose bushes were part of the swing arm and included in the description. (Sorry I’ve not been getting enough sleep lately)

thank you for pointing that out. 

however surly if the rose bush is “dead” the swing arm bushes will be worn. Is there much impact if the swing arm bushes are worn? (My car has 165k on the clock)

if I need to dismantle the swing arm to replace the rose bushes I may as well take two more bolts out and replace the swing arms with refreshed parts whilst I’m at it.

or is that over kill and can the swing arm bushes be tested?

I’m interested to here your thoughts and opinions.

many thanks in advance

 

No worries, i would check what the swing arm bushes look like before considering replacing them, mine look all warped and i know i need to replace the upper arms so im thinking to just do all of these bushes at the same time.

 

You can test all bushes for play with a pry bar but how much play is too much... all i know is the back end of the car doesnt feel right so im thinking to just replace anything that doesnt look right. However it is entirely possible the swing arm bushes are ok and its just the upper arms that need replacing so i may just start there first and see how it feels.

 

The swing arm is bolted to the rose bush but you dont need to remove the swing arm completely to replace the rose bush, you can just unbolt it and push it out of the way. The other end of the swing arm is bolted to the subframe and the bolt towards the back of the car adjusts the toe in/out so only disconnect it if you're planning to get an alignment afterwards.

 

For the rose bushes i used this video as a guide to diagnose and replace.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JasonH said:

The rose bushes fail pretty often.

 

On the rear suspension there's the swing arm bushes and two other arms with ball joints and bushes - so there's a lot going on.

 

In general everything but the rose bush lasts a good while but should be checked every year or two.

 

I only did my swing arm bushes because the camber adjuster bolt was seized into the bush. And actually the main reason my camber was out was because of the failed rose joint.

 

I thought that bolt was just toe or is it both camber and toe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max535 I'm pretty sure it's the camber. When the rose bushes were replaced and the arm bushes done I adjusted the camber to the minimum of the allowed factory range. The tyres are wearing really evenly now. If you look down the side of the car you can see some negative camber but not loads. 

 

It's easy to set the camber yourself. You need to do a bit of maths but on my 17" rims I think I needed the top rim edge to be something like 11mm in from a vertical line to the bottom rim edge. You do it with a spirit level and a ruler! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×