Phil_530d

Tyre Pressure Monitor Sensitivity

My 2011 F10 has the tyre pressure monitor, not the 'full fat' TPMS that detects specific pressure in each tyre.

At what degree of pressure loss should I expect the monitor to trigger a warning? I checked this morning and one corner had dipped from 32psi / 2.2 bar to 25psi / 1.7 bar (~22% pressure loss) without triggering a warning. Is this normal?

Are you still on rfts @Phil_530d?

Had you pressure checked them with a gauge before driving off? 

The system you have uses the wheel sensors to compare the rotating speed of each wheel. The tyre with the puncture will have a smaller rolling radius thus rotate faster. system will only work once the car starts to move so if a tyre went flat over night the system would only warn you once you start moving. 

I’ve never had it on the F10 but the warning system would trigger on my E60 at 0.4 bar loss which is much more sensitive than what you described. I would expect it to have warned you earlier than it did tho.  But there are a few variables that affect the system. 

If they’re RoFs I suppose the trigger point will depend on how much the tyre deforms with loss of pressure, so how stiff the sidewalls are. Probably varies a bit with size and make.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Are you still on rfts @Phil_530d?

Had you pressure checked them with a gauge before driving off? 

The system you have uses the wheel sensors to compare the rotating speed of each wheel. The tyre with the puncture will have a smaller rolling radius thus rotate faster. system will only work once the car starts to move so if a tyre went flat over night the system would only warn you once you start moving. 

I’ve never had it on the F10 but the warning system would trigger on my E60 at 0.4 bar loss which is much more sensitive than what you described. I would expect it to have warned you earlier than it did tho.  But there are a few variables that affect the system. 

Yep, on run flats hence why I'd like to understand if the system is working as intended. Presures last checked and system initialised about two weeks ago.

I had a puncture a few years ago and it triggered then but that literally had 0 psi in it when I checked. Looks like the pressure loss wasn't enough to alter the rotating speed of that tyre.

Yeah not enough pressure loss to affect the rolling radius with your particular tyre set up as Boba says. If they are extra heavy load rating tyres the system will not be as sharp off the mark detecting the pressure loss. 

I had a screw recently in my Rear Offside Goodyear Excellence RFT, it pinged a message on Idrive when driving and when I checked it was down at 22PSI from 39PSI, so nearly half.. I did drive a fee miles with it like that so maybe it was a bit higher at the time..

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk