Jump to content
mystic_525_tds

E61 LEVEL CONTROL FAILURE (TEMPREMENTAL) + FAULT CODES

Recommended Posts

Last weekend my car rear suspension was sitting low and i got a 'level control system failure' message on the display, it was still there on Monday morning and then next thing i knew it was gone, it has not returned since, i have done 2 x 440 mile trips and i have been using it to commute to work and it still fine and the rear suspension is normal and still no fault on the display. There was a new compressor and relay fitted 2 years ago. The spare wheel well is completely dry too. What could be causing it to fail and then start working again? 4 Fault codes below related to the electronic height control.

Many thanks.

 

Adr-38 - EHC - 5F99 A1 / 5F9A A1 / 5F98 A1 / 5F97 A1

 

the first pic the back end is low, second pic its back to normal. 

 

 

20210911_212414.jpg

20210913_135032.jpg

Edited by mystic_525_tds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be that you have a leak somewhere in the system, this is causing the compressor to overwork & ware out prematurely.

I believe the system is timed on how long it takes to inflate, timed out will trigger fault codes & stop it fully inflating.

It could be cheep airbags were fitted or the old one's are still there, if new one's were fitted did they trim the airlines or fit new one's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/09/2021 at 15:41, dirtydirtydiesel said:

It could be that you have a leak somewhere in the system, this is causing the compressor to overwork & ware out prematurely.

I believe the system is timed on how long it takes to inflate, timed out will trigger fault codes & stop it fully inflating.

It could be cheep airbags were fitted or the old one's are still there, if new one's were fitted did they trim the airlines or fit new one's.

 

Hi thanks for your reply. From what i know by the previous owner only the compressor and replay were replaced. With it working as normal at the moment suggests all the main components are ok. Its just a mystery what causes it to fail and then work again. 

 

1 hour ago, EnvyCustomPaint said:

Mines been doing that for 8 years!

(sorry that’s no help just saying)

 

Thanks for your reply, it is still helpful info as it might be something that happens from time to time but it seems nothing serious is at failing. When it happens do you you have any tricks to get it working again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No tricks sorry. 
it appears sometimes every few weeks. 
sometimes don’t see it for a few months. 
just start it up in the morning and it’s gone.

I put it down to electrical gremlins in the car. Maybe the same reason why a car that was built in the 2nd millennium is unable to hold on to a radio station.

or a dvd drive that fails if you have a hot summer!

let’s not mention the tailgate wiring loom!

:-( 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mystic_525_tds said:

 

Hi thanks for your reply. From what i know by the previous owner only the compressor and replay were replaced. With it working as normal at the moment suggests all the main components are ok. Its just a mystery what causes it to fail and then work again. 

 

 

 

As I said in my last post on this, your compressor is probably timing out.

 

First things first, the compressor fails ( needs replacing for two reasons.

1. The air intake pipe has rupture so that the compressor is drawing unfiltered air.

 

2. The airbags are worn, causing air leaks which in turn causes your compressor to overwork & fail.

 

Replacing the compressor without finding out what caused it to fail is foolhardy.

 

The air intake pipe rupturing is very common after 10 year's / 100k

Also the airbags past 100k are on borrowed time.

BMW devotees will replace them at 80k for safe measure (they are a consumable item) just like coil springs that fail.

 

Mine was at 137k & 13 year's old when I bought her & she was leaking then.

 

It was one of my first jobs.

 

Just use Arnott or or airbags, stay away from Areosus or the cheep Chinese offerings on eBay.

 

Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

 

& As I said before, don't forget to trim the airlines when fitting the new airbags.

 

Hope this helps :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/09/2021 at 14:35, mystic_525_tds said:

Last weekend my car rear suspension was sitting low and i got a 'level control system failure' message on the display, it was still there on Monday morning and then next thing i knew it was gone, it has not returned since, i have done 2 x 440 mile trips and i have been using it to commute to work and it still fine and the rear suspension is normal and still no fault on the display. There was a new compressor and relay fitted 2 years ago. The spare wheel well is completely dry too. What could be causing it to fail and then start working again? 4 Fault codes below related to the electronic height control.

Many thanks.

 

Adr-38 - EHC - 5F99 A1 / 5F9A A1 / 5F98 A1 / 5F97 A1

 

the first pic the back end is low, second pic its back to normal. 

 

 

20210911_212414.jpg

20210913_135032.jpg

Check the green relay under the spare wheel I had similar problem couple years ago changed and been perfect since cheap easy fix think it was only about £20 bmw dealer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2021 at 22:24, EnvyCustomPaint said:

No tricks sorry. 
it appears sometimes every few weeks. 
sometimes don’t see it for a few months. 
just start it up in the morning and it’s gone.

I put it down to electrical gremlins in the car. Maybe the same reason why a car that was built in the 2nd millennium is unable to hold on to a radio station.

or a dvd drive that fails if you have a hot summer!

let’s not mention the tailgate wiring loom!

:-( 
 

 

Thanks for your reply. At least it proves all the major components are working. I will just have to see if it returns but i will know not to panic if it does. CHEERS ;)

 

On 18/09/2021 at 23:33, dirtydirtydiesel said:

As I said in my last post on this, your compressor is probably timing out.

 

First things first, the compressor fails ( needs replacing for two reasons.

1. The air intake pipe has rupture so that the compressor is drawing unfiltered air.

 

2. The airbags are worn, causing air leaks which in turn causes your compressor to overwork & fail.

 

Replacing the compressor without finding out what caused it to fail is foolhardy.

 

The air intake pipe rupturing is very common after 10 year's / 100k

Also the airbags past 100k are on borrowed time.

BMW devotees will replace them at 80k for safe measure (they are a consumable item) just like coil springs that fail.

 

Mine was at 137k & 13 year's old when I bought her & she was leaking then.

 

It was one of my first jobs.

 

Just use Arnott or or airbags, stay away from Areosus or the cheep Chinese offerings on eBay.

 

Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

 

& As I said before, don't forget to trim the airlines when fitting the new airbags.

 

Hope this helps :)

 

Thanks for your reply and i will take on board your suggestions. I dont want to sound unappreciative of your advice but i dont intend to rush into replacing parts that could be fine. The compressor and relay was replaced 2 years ago. The fact its working again suggests all the major components are fine. Envycustompaint has been experiencing this for many years and puts it down to electrical gremlins. If my problem persists i may need to investigate further but it may well be a one off or it might happen very rarely that its not a big worry. I like some proof before i go spending money on parts and at the moment i have no reason to replace the compressor, airsprings or pipework. I think its worth having a look at the air intake pipe to make sure its not deteriorating. Thanks ;)

 

On 19/09/2021 at 06:24, It’s a Cob said:

Check the green relay under the spare wheel I had similar problem couple years ago changed and been perfect since cheap easy fix think it was only about £20 bmw dealer 

 

Hi thanks for your reply. Was your issue temperamental too? I had it out and took the cover off the relay and it looks fine. If you found it fixed your temperamental problem i may replace is as its a cheap enough part and easy to do. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mystic_525_tds said:

Hi thanks for your reply. Was your issue temperamental too? I had it out and took the cover off the relay and it looks fine. If you found it fixed your temperamental problem i may replace is as its a cheap enough part and easy to do. ;)

Hi yeah sometimes was fine sometimes it wouldn’t even pump up just constant compressor running used to all sorts of strange things but a tap on the relay and everything used to jump into life so I changed it and been fine since might not be that but for what it cost worth looking at 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2021 at 11:36 AM, mystic_525_tds said:

 

 

 

 

Thanks for your reply and i will take on board your suggestions. I dont want to sound unappreciative of your advice but i dont intend to rush into replacing parts that could be fine. The compressor and relay was replaced 2 years ago. The fact its working again suggests all the major components are fine. Envycustompaint has been experiencing this for many years and puts it down to electrical gremlins. If my problem persists i may need to investigate further but it may well be a one off or it might happen very rarely that its not a big worry. I like some proof before i go spending money on parts and at the moment i have no reason to replace the compressor, airsprings or pipework. I think its worth having a look at the air intake pipe to make sure its not deteriorating. Thanks ;)

 

 

 

No worries, 

 

I'm not suggesting to start throwing new parts at it without testing.

 

As I said mine came to me with the message on the dash & the pump timing out.

The air intake pipe was ruptured (first job)

Then the pump failed big time.

While inspecting the system the airbags were found to be leaking.

Also the pump dirveter block can fail.

 

I wouldn't advise just leaving it till it happens again (it's nasty to drive with the rear on the bump stops)

& it'll damage to the level sensors.

 

But it's up to you.

 

The chances are the pump & relay were cheep replacement one's off eBay (unless you have a receipt telling you different)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I’ve jinxed it. 
had a level control problem all week. 
(compressor runs but no lift)

came back from school run sagging. 
just popped out and it’s back up! 
 I should investigate but I keep forgetting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2021 at 12:06, It’s a Cob said:

Hi yeah sometimes was fine sometimes it wouldn’t even pump up just constant compressor running used to all sorts of strange things but a tap on the relay and everything used to jump into life so I changed it and been fine since might not be that but for what it cost worth looking at 

 

Ok mate thanks for the reply nothing else seems to be faulty so it may well be the issue for me too.

 

On 21/09/2021 at 19:11, dirtydirtydiesel said:

No worries, 

 

I'm not suggesting to start throwing new parts at it without testing.

 

As I said mine came to me with the message on the dash & the pump timing out.

The air intake pipe was ruptured (first job)

Then the pump failed big time.

While inspecting the system the airbags were found to be leaking.

Also the pump dirveter block can fail.

 

I wouldn't advise just leaving it till it happens again (it's nasty to drive with the rear on the bump stops)

& it'll damage to the level sensors.

 

But it's up to you.

 

The chances are the pump & relay were cheep replacement one's off eBay (unless you have a receipt telling you different)

 

At the moment nothing is failing so its not easy to find the problem. It has happened once and i think i shall wait and see if it happens again as it may be an isolated incident. The car does not sag or have anything to suggest anything is leaking. The relay invoice was by a bmw indie and the part number is 613683700 which seems to be the genuine relay. The previous owner supplied the compressor so i dont know if it was a cheap one of not. 

 

56 minutes ago, EnvyCustomPaint said:

Well I’ve jinxed it. 
had a level control problem all week. 
(compressor runs but no lift)

came back from school run sagging. 
just popped out and it’s back up! 
 I should investigate but I keep forgetting.

 

Hi mate the user 'its a cob' said he replaced the relay and it fixed his temperamental issue. He said tapping the relay made it jump into life again so he replaced it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×