Jump to content
d_a_n1979

My 'new to me' 2011 F01 730D

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:


Haha I'm the technician and I'd literally just undone it from the cable tie, but dropped a ratchet... Was only hanging for 30secs max ;)

 

Thanks re the car. I'm really happy with buying it, just need to get it to my standards now... 

 

Still naughty! Where do you find a workshop like that to work on your car? I want one. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

Still naughty! Where do you find a workshop like that to work on your car? I want one. 

 

Meh, it's not like it was left dangling there. The lines more than tough enough to cope with that for a short period...

 

It's my pals. He's a respected Motorsport mechanic, he's handy to have as a good pal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glorious sunshine but cool today; so a great day to give the car a decent wash before it goes into the bodyshop on Monday...

 

Cleaned inside and out; tyres treated and that'll do it for now.

 

wash1.jpg

wash2.jpg

wash3.jpg

wash4.jpg
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Splondike said:

Looks a lovely place to be that Dan 8)

 

 

It's very comfy pal; a really well laid out cabin ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well to update; it's in the bodyshop currently:

 

Whats-App-Image-2021-10-22-at-13-16-44.j

 

Front bumper off yesterday; will pop back Monday to remove the headlights so I can swap out all the bulbs (might as well take advantage seeing as it's a bumper off jobby anyway)!

 

Rear bumper is too damaged to be repaired; my pals very fickle with stuff like this, so I've ordered a replacement which should land with the shop next week...

 

Winter Style 234s dropped off to be refurbed (standard silver) and the Nexen Winguard Sport 2 winter tyres fitted/balanced etc and will fit them when I get the land barge back ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Land barge is still in my pals body shop; collected the winter alloys & tyres today, finished in standard BMW silver :)

 

winteralloys-tyres.jpg

 

Will get them fitted as soon as I've got the car back; I've got the Mteconline 82mm stud conversion kit to fit also and may look to add 12mm spacers too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Busy morning!

 

20" Style 253 alloys off & 18" Style 234 alloys & winter tyres on, stud conversion fitted (going to run 12mm spacers, which I'll fit next week)

 

All brake calipers and brake disc hats wire brushed and cleaned with brake cleaner; looks much better behind the alloys now, will get them painted in the very near future

 

Washed and towel dried and now its lashing it down :lol:  It needed it though as it was filthy after the bodyshop visit!

 

Gone from:

 

wash2.jpg

 

To:

 

winterson.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thread and good to see another car getting the attention it deserves.  I think I prefer the look on the 18s. Must be a difference in ride quality ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Great thread and good to see another car getting the attention it deserves.  I think I prefer the look on the 18s. Must be a difference in ride quality ?

 

So do I!

 

Haven't driven it yet; but off out this afternoon; so will report back.

 

I've no doubt it'll be a comfier ride :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another day, another few £hundred spent... :lol: 

 

Both front thrust arms had failed; causing clunking when on rough surfaces, more so at lower speeds... NS one wasn't too bad; OS one was loose as it could be and they're less than 6months old too. Undoing someone else's poor / cheap work as per the norm :rolleyes: 

 

Both arms replaced with Moog arms!

 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TTfynzgyg4r3UFQR6

 

work1.jpg

work2.jpg

work3.jpg

work4.jpg

work5.jpg

work6.jpg

 

MOT on Thursday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2021 at 2:03 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

 

Never had any issues with Lunex bulbs; run them in all my cars that have had xenons and never had a bulb fail on me thankfully :) 

 

Re oil; this is the first change I'm doing and I've read numerous posts from folk that said their N57 ran quieter & smoother on the 5W40, so decided to go with that.

 

As I do so few miles; fuel & oil consumption isn't a worry for me. But will see how it goes and if after winter I think it could be doing better; I'll stick 5W30 in

 

I've gone with TripleQX for now

Dan,

I meant to reply to this when you posted it.

I run my M57 on 5W40 & have had no consumption issues, I've done 20k on it & the old girl is now on 157k.

Now she leaks a tiny bit & of course there is a small amount in the boost pipe's but both these things are quite normal.

Although I do wish to cure the leak's (one day, maybe :rolleyes:)

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Dan,

I meant to reply to this when you posted it.

I run my M57 on 5W40 & have had no consumption issues, I've done 20k on it & the old girl is now on 157k.

Now she leaks a tiny bit & of course there is a small amount in the boost pipe's but both these things are quite normal.

Although I do wish to cure the leak's (one day, maybe :rolleyes:)

 

When you've done that, let BMW know and they'll offer you a Knighthood probably :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also with the mileage that your new motor is on I would highly recommend getting the gearbox serviced (it's only just over the recommended mileage by ZF)

I have had mine done twice & it's all the better for it, just make sure it's a full fluid exchange & not a partial drop & refill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Also with the mileage that your new motor is on I would highly recommend getting the gearbox serviced (it's only just over the recommended mileage by ZF)

I have had mine done twice & it's all the better for it, just make sure it's a full fluid exchange & not a partial drop & refill.

 

Fully agree; I'll be getting it done just before or after Christmas hopefully; if not it'll be early New Year

 

Struggling for time currently TBH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely looking car, i do like the idea of a 7 series also.  Did you have a 5 series before?  If so be good to get your thoughts on the main differences.

 

Im on the hunt for a nice 730d similar age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Lovely looking car, i do like the idea of a 7 series also.  Did you have a 5 series before?  If so be good to get your thoughts on the main differences.

 

Im on the hunt for a nice 730d similar age.

 

I had an 02 Jap import 530i Sport touring pal; the new owners on here also :) 

 

The cars are chalk n cheese

 

The Touring was the E39 I've wanted since buying my first back in 2014 and I loved every minute of it; but it was the right time to sell and I knew I wanted to get back into another 7'er; but it had to be an F01 and ideally the 750i, but the V8 engine horror stories put me off, so I went for the 730D

 

I knew I wanted an SE and not a Sport; I'd test driven a few local ones and felt the SE was perfect for my needs; the Sport, lovely, but overall too firm and the SE Luxury I landed was spot on as it has a superb spec too

 

The car is huge, wider & longer than the E39, but you soon get used to it and I can still fit it down our long but narrow driveway, thankfully

 

The build is way above the E39; ok they're a 9 year age difference and the 7s are always very well put together; but the F01s better than a previous E65 730D Sport and that was a great place to sit. Materials are nicer; build better, tech miles better etc

 

And the 7s still an easy car to work on and parts are around the same prices as I was paying for the E39, so that's very good going IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

I had an 02 Jap import 530i Sport touring pal; the new owners on here also :) 

 

The cars are chalk n cheese

 

The Touring was the E39 I've wanted since buying my first back in 2014 and I loved every minute of it; but it was the right time to sell and I knew I wanted to get back into another 7'er; but it had to be an F01 and ideally the 750i, but the V8 engine horror stories put me off, so I went for the 730D

 

I knew I wanted an SE and not a Sport; I'd test driven a few local ones and felt the SE was perfect for my needs; the Sport, lovely, but overall too firm and the SE Luxury I landed was spot on as it has a superb spec too

 

The car is huge, wider & longer than the E39, but you soon get used to it and I can still fit it down our long but narrow driveway, thankfully

 

The build is way above the E39; ok they're a 9 year age difference and the 7s are always very well put together; but the F01s better than a previous E65 730D Sport and that was a great place to sit. Materials are nicer; build better, tech miles better etc

 

And the 7s still an easy car to work on and parts are around the same prices as I was paying for the E39, so that's very good going IMO

Thanks for that, good to hear.

 

im the same I’m getting old think I prefer all that an SE delivers with regards to comfort over the sportiness of the sport trim.

 

The hunt will continue for one..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Thanks for that, good to hear.

 

im the same I’m getting old think I prefer all that an SE delivers with regards to comfort over the sportiness of the sport trim.

 

The hunt will continue for one..

 

I agree; I wanted a 7 for its ultimate waft bus ride and with it on the 18s now (albeit winters so softer compounds anyway); it makes me realise that going for the SE Luxury that I did was absolutely the right move, as was getting rid of the 20s!

 

However, it handles superbly on its suspension and takes corners/roundabouts very well indeed for a land-barge! :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mani59 said:

It's coming along lovely Dan! 

 

Cheers Mani

 

That's it done for this year I think

 

I'll get it booked in early Spring for an autobox service and for the rest of the bodywork and then I'll look to get it detailed, properly! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×