d_a_n1979

My 'new to me' 2011 F01 730D

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Haha I'm the technician and I'd literally just undone it from the cable tie, but dropped a ratchet... Was only hanging for 30secs max ;)

Thanks re the car. I'm really happy with buying it, just need to get it to my standards now... 

Still naughty! Where do you find a workshop like that to work on your car? I want one. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

40 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Still naughty! Where do you find a workshop like that to work on your car? I want one. 

Meh, it's not like it was left dangling there. The lines more than tough enough to cope with that for a short period...

It's my pals. He's a respected Motorsport mechanic, he's handy to have as a good pal

Glorious sunshine but cool today; so a great day to give the car a decent wash before it goes into the bodyshop on Monday...

Cleaned inside and out; tyres treated and that'll do it for now.

wash1.jpg

wash2.jpg

wash3.jpg

wash4.jpg

Just now, Splondike said:

Looks a lovely place to be that Dan 8)

It's very comfy pal; a really well laid out cabin ;) 

Well to update; it's in the bodyshop currently:

Whats-App-Image-2021-10-22-at-13-16-44.j

Front bumper off yesterday; will pop back Monday to remove the headlights so I can swap out all the bulbs (might as well take advantage seeing as it's a bumper off jobby anyway)!

Rear bumper is too damaged to be repaired; my pals very fickle with stuff like this, so I've ordered a replacement which should land with the shop next week...

Winter Style 234s dropped off to be refurbed (standard silver) and the Nexen Winguard Sport 2 winter tyres fitted/balanced etc and will fit them when I get the land barge back ;) 

Land barge is still in my pals body shop; collected the winter alloys & tyres today, finished in standard BMW silver :)

winteralloys-tyres.jpg

Will get them fitted as soon as I've got the car back; I've got the Mteconline 82mm stud conversion kit to fit also and may look to add 12mm spacers too

Busy morning!

20" Style 253 alloys off & 18" Style 234 alloys & winter tyres on, stud conversion fitted (going to run 12mm spacers, which I'll fit next week)

All brake calipers and brake disc hats wire brushed and cleaned with brake cleaner; looks much better behind the alloys now, will get them painted in the very near future

Washed and towel dried and now its lashing it down :lol:  It needed it though as it was filthy after the bodyshop visit!

Gone from:

wash2.jpg

To:

winterson.jpg

Great thread and good to see another car getting the attention it deserves.  I think I prefer the look on the 18s. Must be a difference in ride quality ?

14 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Great thread and good to see another car getting the attention it deserves.  I think I prefer the look on the 18s. Must be a difference in ride quality ?

So do I!

Haven't driven it yet; but off out this afternoon; so will report back.

I've no doubt it'll be a comfier ride :) 

Another day, another few £hundred spent... :lol: 

Both front thrust arms had failed; causing clunking when on rough surfaces, more so at lower speeds... NS one wasn't too bad; OS one was loose as it could be and they're less than 6months old too. Undoing someone else's poor / cheap work as per the norm :rolleyes: 

Both arms replaced with Moog arms!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TTfynzgyg4r3UFQR6

work1.jpg

work2.jpg

work3.jpg

work4.jpg

work5.jpg

work6.jpg

MOT on Thursday!

On 10/4/2021 at 2:03 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Never had any issues with Lunex bulbs; run them in all my cars that have had xenons and never had a bulb fail on me thankfully :) 

Re oil; this is the first change I'm doing and I've read numerous posts from folk that said their N57 ran quieter & smoother on the 5W40, so decided to go with that.

As I do so few miles; fuel & oil consumption isn't a worry for me. But will see how it goes and if after winter I think it could be doing better; I'll stick 5W30 in

I've gone with TripleQX for now

Dan,

I meant to reply to this when you posted it.

I run my M57 on 5W40 & have had no consumption issues, I've done 20k on it & the old girl is now on 157k.

Now she leaks a tiny bit & of course there is a small amount in the boost pipe's but both these things are quite normal.

Although I do wish to cure the leak's (one day, maybe :rolleyes:)

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel

3 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Dan,

I meant to reply to this when you posted it.

I run my M57 on 5W40 & have had no consumption issues, I've done 20k on it & the old girl is now on 157k.

Now she leaks a tiny bit & of course there is a small amount in the boost pipe's but both these things are quite normal.

Although I do wish to cure the leak's (one day, maybe :rolleyes:)

When you've done that, let BMW know and they'll offer you a Knighthood probably :mrgreen:

Also with the mileage that your new motor is on I would highly recommend getting the gearbox serviced (it's only just over the recommended mileage by ZF)

I have had mine done twice & it's all the better for it, just make sure it's a full fluid exchange & not a partial drop & refill.

6 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Also with the mileage that your new motor is on I would highly recommend getting the gearbox serviced (it's only just over the recommended mileage by ZF)

I have had mine done twice & it's all the better for it, just make sure it's a full fluid exchange & not a partial drop & refill.

Fully agree; I'll be getting it done just before or after Christmas hopefully; if not it'll be early New Year

Struggling for time currently TBH

Lovely looking car, i do like the idea of a 7 series also.  Did you have a 5 series before?  If so be good to get your thoughts on the main differences.

Im on the hunt for a nice 730d similar age.

6 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Lovely looking car, i do like the idea of a 7 series also.  Did you have a 5 series before?  If so be good to get your thoughts on the main differences.

Im on the hunt for a nice 730d similar age.

I had an 02 Jap import 530i Sport touring pal; the new owners on here also :) 

The cars are chalk n cheese

The Touring was the E39 I've wanted since buying my first back in 2014 and I loved every minute of it; but it was the right time to sell and I knew I wanted to get back into another 7'er; but it had to be an F01 and ideally the 750i, but the V8 engine horror stories put me off, so I went for the 730D

I knew I wanted an SE and not a Sport; I'd test driven a few local ones and felt the SE was perfect for my needs; the Sport, lovely, but overall too firm and the SE Luxury I landed was spot on as it has a superb spec too

The car is huge, wider & longer than the E39, but you soon get used to it and I can still fit it down our long but narrow driveway, thankfully

The build is way above the E39; ok they're a 9 year age difference and the 7s are always very well put together; but the F01s better than a previous E65 730D Sport and that was a great place to sit. Materials are nicer; build better, tech miles better etc

And the 7s still an easy car to work on and parts are around the same prices as I was paying for the E39, so that's very good going IMO

13 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I had an 02 Jap import 530i Sport touring pal; the new owners on here also :) 

The cars are chalk n cheese

The Touring was the E39 I've wanted since buying my first back in 2014 and I loved every minute of it; but it was the right time to sell and I knew I wanted to get back into another 7'er; but it had to be an F01 and ideally the 750i, but the V8 engine horror stories put me off, so I went for the 730D

I knew I wanted an SE and not a Sport; I'd test driven a few local ones and felt the SE was perfect for my needs; the Sport, lovely, but overall too firm and the SE Luxury I landed was spot on as it has a superb spec too

The car is huge, wider & longer than the E39, but you soon get used to it and I can still fit it down our long but narrow driveway, thankfully

The build is way above the E39; ok they're a 9 year age difference and the 7s are always very well put together; but the F01s better than a previous E65 730D Sport and that was a great place to sit. Materials are nicer; build better, tech miles better etc

And the 7s still an easy car to work on and parts are around the same prices as I was paying for the E39, so that's very good going IMO

Thanks for that, good to hear.

im the same I’m getting old think I prefer all that an SE delivers with regards to comfort over the sportiness of the sport trim.

The hunt will continue for one..

19 hours ago, mpgscott said:

Thanks for that, good to hear.

im the same I’m getting old think I prefer all that an SE delivers with regards to comfort over the sportiness of the sport trim.

The hunt will continue for one..

I agree; I wanted a 7 for its ultimate waft bus ride and with it on the 18s now (albeit winters so softer compounds anyway); it makes me realise that going for the SE Luxury that I did was absolutely the right move, as was getting rid of the 20s!

However, it handles superbly on its suspension and takes corners/roundabouts very well indeed for a land-barge! :mrgreen:

12 hours ago, Mani59 said:

It's coming along lovely Dan! 

Cheers Mani

That's it done for this year I think

I'll get it booked in early Spring for an autobox service and for the rest of the bodywork and then I'll look to get it detailed, properly!