d_a_n1979

My 'new to me' 2011 F01 730D

So just before I sold my Jap import E39 touring to Matt; I'd been looking at a number of F01 730Ds (didn't want to entertain the V8 750i with its well known engine issues) and a number of F11 530D tourings

I went to see a local touring and a local F01 730D and for me, the overall build quality of the 730D was so much better; that swung the decision for me easy enough. So it was then to lookout for the right spec of F01 that I wanted

I watched quite a few; a lot very overpriced, more so for their mileage and the ones that I was really interested in were all way down South and the trek was putting me off slightly...

Until this F01 730 SE Luxury was listed on AT in Wolverhampton...! An hour on the the train away ;)

So a few emails sent to the seller who owned it; emails replied to and a few phone calls later, a 1st class ticked to Wolverhampton was booked...

The E39 sold on Monday to Matt and going to see the F01 yesterday (Thursday 16th Sept) was full steam ahead... A nice train ride down, 1st class brekkie and coffee galore :D  

Met by the seller; viewed the car, lovely drive, lovely spec and interior, but bodywork issues and odd tyres on the front :rolleyes: let it down. Knew of the bodywork issues, but not detailed as I'd hoped they could have been. The tyres were an oversight and new ones have already been ordered (non-RFTs too)

Overall the car had the spec, history and interior I wanted; so I told the seller there was one price I'd pay and that was it; if it's a no-go then I'll enjoy the hour and 11mins train back home and carry on looking :)

The seller accused me of being a 'brutal barterer' :lol: I'm a Lancashire Lad; want my money in me back pocket  :mrgreen: :lol: 

So price agreed; paperwork done there and then all online and I set off home (to sit on the M6 car park; great fun) :mad:

So cars been thoroughly cleaned inside this morning; leather all cleaned, just waiting for a leather conditioner to arrive via Amazon

I've been to my pals bodyshop to get it booked in to have both front & rear bumpers resprayed; both wing mirror caps resprayed and a few dents sorted and paintwork sorted, if necessary. It goes in on 18th October for a few weeks. The main issues are stone-chips that have lead to lacquer peel and parking dings etc. I'm not after concourse perfection; just after the car looking as best as it can for an 11 year old executive saloon ;)

I've got Kumho front tyres on their way to sit on the OEM 20" alloys; rears are Uniroyal RainSport 3s which will get replaced at some point; but they've decent tread left so will leave them for now.

Have already looked to sort a set of 18" alloys to put winter tyres on, so they'll get swapped over sometime mid-late October and the 20s will either be sold on for different OEM 20" alloys, or I'll get them fully refurbed with all new tyres ready for Spring 2022

Overall it's a lovely car; it was a lovely, smooth and relaxed drive home and the car pulls like a train!

It's done nearly 83k miles

Spec (off memory):

Full pro sat nav and widescreen
DAB, full Bluetooth connectivity and Pro DSP stereo
Full extended Nappa oyster leather
Full memory comfort seats with lumbar support; driver & passenger
Full heated front & rear seats
Rear climate control
Xenons with high beam assist
20" Style 253 alloys
And more...

Pictures from the seller:

730D-1.jpg

730D-10.jpg

730D-11.jpg

730D-12.jpg

730D-13.jpg

730D-14.jpg

730D-15.jpg

730D-2.jpg

730D-3.jpg

730D-4.jpg

730D-5.jpg

730D-6.jpg

730D-7.jpg

730D-8.jpg

730D-9.jpg

I'm not going to upload any further pics until it's had the bodywork done ;) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

Great looking motor that Dan - congratulations.

Is it Imperial Blue or Black?

Whatever it is I like the contract with Oyster/black leather and comfort seats (same as my car!) and I like the wheels too. 

1 hour ago, E39mad said:

Great looking motor that Dan - congratulations.

Is it Imperial Blue or Black?

Whatever it is I like the contract with Oyster/black leather and comfort seats (same as my car!) and I like the wheels too. 

Thank you :) 

It's 'Azurit Metallic' Black; it's blue in some lights, black in others... 

Should be fun polishing the swirls out :lol: 

Yup; agree it'll cause me some stress when it comes to cleaning it...

But not touching the paintwork until my pals done the bodyshop work and then I'll give it a good going over, protect it for winter and then think about getting it sorted by a pro come Spring 2022

Polishing cars to the pro standards is not my forte; would rather pay someone else to do it and do it properly first time around ;) 

13 hours ago, Ray112 said:

How this diesel engine feels power wise compared to petrol m54 in e39? On paper there less than 10bhp difference between them I think.

It's a different world pal; the low down and constant torque really makes a difference... It's very quiet too, very 'waft-bus' like :mrgreen:

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

It's a different world pal; the low down and constant torque really makes a difference... It's very quiet too, very 'waft-bus' like :mrgreen:

BMW 6 cylinder diesels are amazingly quiet, nothing similar to 4 cylinder diesel tractor sound. I would say m57/n57 sounds miles better than all those 3 cylinder petrol sewing machines. 

Congratulations Dan, looks lovely!  Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

Love the comfort seats option! 

And so it begins; the downwards spiral of DIY maintenance :lol: 

- Removed (what a faff) cleaned and replaced both washer bottle pumps on the F01

The damn thing is wedged between the chassis and drivers side wing on the 7'er; no room at all for slab hands like mine! But; wheel off and arch liner peeled back; bolts, clips and wiring undone and with a lot of faff; the bottle comes out

Cleaned, rinsed thoroughly and both windscreen and headlamp pumps replaced and both filters removed and cleaned with bleach

Windscreen washer pump was working, but a blocked filter was causing a dribble on one of the washer sprays; headlamp pump was dead. Replaced with OEM BMW ones via eBay as cheaper than BMW Cotswolds

All working as they should now :mrgreen:

- New front & rear 'summer' tyres ordered via Camskill; I've gone for Kumho PS91s in 245/40 and 275/35 20" flavours; fronts landed today, rears should be with me Thursday & will get them fitted; it's at a local garage I use for MOTs, so they'll sort the tyres and give the car a once over on the ramps for me too.

18" Winter alloys (OEM Style 234) ordered too and they're on their way to me; 'Nexen Winguard 2' winter tyres in 245/50/18 size ordered too via MyTyres (best price) and I'll get them fitted when I can also. Will probably give them a DIY refurb first, if they need it

Edited by d_a_n1979

10 minutes ago, Mani59 said:

Congratulations Dan, looks lovely!  Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

Love the comfort seats option! 

Thanks Mani

It'll be noted on here as per the norm :) Nothing major really bar the bodywork that it's booked in for in 3 weeks time

Yes; the comfort seats are just that, superbly comfy :mrgreen:

Small service stuff ordered; so:

- New Exide AGM battery (the cars still on its original one)!
- 5W40 oil & Mann filter
- Mann air filter
- Mahle carbon pollen filter

I've also ordered Moog front drop links, inner tie rods and track rod ends; as it's BMW, we all know how these likes to seize and the car needs a full tracking & alignment set up anyways; so I'll replace those for peace of mind before it gets its tracking done!

I've also bought Lunex 6000K D1S bulbs and Osram H8 bulbs for when the front bumper comes off and I replace the OS headlight (I'll do a full bulb change for both; may as well as it's a bumper off jobby anyway)!

23 minutes ago, greenelekta said:

Looks very nice Dan, good find!

Thanks pal :) 

It'll be even better once it's had my touch :mrgreen:

Track rod ends is a pointless fight to make loose after they been installed for a while. A lot easier to replace rod ends together with steering knuckles.;)

Hopefully you will have better experience with lunex bulbs than I have. First one gone really dimm after a week. Seller sent replacement bulb free of charge, thought after asking dozens of pictures to be sent over and blaming ballasts, wiring and everything else possible in car. Other bulb or replacement bulb(can't remember) failed after year. So now it's Philips bulbs in my xenon lights.  Have been using Osram in other cars, never had problems either. 

About oil, any specific reason why decided to use 5w40 instead of 5w30? Previous owner used 5w40 in my m57 diesel, since second oil service in my ownership I switched back to 5w30 and oil consumption has reduced.  Of course it's a matter of oil itself as well.

16 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Track rod ends is a pointless fight to make loose after they been installed for a while. A lot easier to replace rod ends together with steering knuckles.;)

Hopefully you will have better experience with lunex bulbs than I have. First one gone really dimm after a week. Seller sent replacement bulb free of charge, thought after asking dozens of pictures to be sent over and blaming ballasts, wiring and everything else possible in car. Other bulb or replacement bulb(can't remember) failed after year. So now it's Philips bulbs in my xenon lights.  Have been using Osram in other cars, never had problems either. 

About oil, any specific reason why decided to use 5w40 instead of 5w30? Previous owner used 5w40 in my m57 diesel, since second oil service in my ownership I switched back to 5w30 and oil consumption has reduced.  Of course it's a matter of oil itself as well.

Never had any issues with Lunex bulbs; run them in all my cars that have had xenons and never had a bulb fail on me thankfully :) 

Re oil; this is the first change I'm doing and I've read numerous posts from folk that said their N57 ran quieter & smoother on the 5W40, so decided to go with that.

As I do so few miles; fuel & oil consumption isn't a worry for me. But will see how it goes and if after winter I think it could be doing better; I'll stick 5W30 in

I've gone with TripleQX for now

On 21/09/2021 at 20:39, d_a_n1979 said:

I've gone for Kumho PS91s in 245/40 and 2875/35 20" flavours;

@d_a_n1979 thank you for sharing all of your knowledge and experience on this forum. Whenever I search for a topic your name always pops up!  I have read so many of your posts/helpful contributions. Congratultions on your new car - I think it looks amazing. Although I really really would like to see some pics with your 2875/35 tyres on the rear - that must be quite a sight. :lol:

9 hours ago, ajl530d said:

@d_a_n1979 thank you for sharing all of your knowledge and experience on this forum. Whenever I search for a topic your name always pops up!  I have read so many of your posts/helpful contributions. Congratultions on your new car - I think it looks amazing. Although I really really would like to see some pics with your 2875/35 tyres on the rear - that must be quite a sight. :lol:

I have issues ok... It's been labelled as #fatfingersyndrome :mrgreen:

Oil & filter change; air filter, inner tie rods/track rod ends, front drop links, rear discs & pads and full tracking & alignment set up done

Car drives straight & true now; no more clunking at the front either ;) Both the inner tie roads/track rod ends and front drop links were all OEM BMW dated 2011! Well past their due date IMO

service1.jpg

service16.jpg

service2.jpg

service3.jpg

service4.jpg

service5.jpg

service7.jpg

Next... Bodyshop on Monday :thumbup: 

On 12/10/2021 at 15:03, d_a_n1979 said:

Oil & filter change; air filter, inner tie rods/track rod ends, front drop links, rear discs & pads and full tracking & alignment set up done

Car drives straight & true now; no more clunking at the front either ;) Both the inner tie roads/track rod ends and front drop links were all OEM BMW dated 2011! Well past their due date IMO

service3.jpg

That caliper hanging by the brake line is just a poor show by the technician!

Nice looking car though and I like the new suspension parts. 

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

That caliper hanging by the brake line is just a poor show by the technician!

Nice looking car though and I like the new suspension parts. 

Haha I'm the technician and I'd literally just undone it from the cable tie, but dropped a ratchet... Was only hanging for 30secs max ;)

Thanks re the car. I'm really happy with buying it, just need to get it to my standards now...