Calypso-E34

Does the cost of road tax influence your buying decision?

I've been looking around at some used cars, as I may change the F10 520d I only recently purchased.  Looking around at the few cars I would even consider in the up to £18k bracket, one of the things I'm seeing is that cars registered after April 1st 2017, with an original list price of over £40k (any BMW 5 Series, Volvo S/V 90, E Class Benz, Audi A6 etc) is costing a fair wedge to tax.  So a 66 plate 520d for example will cost you £30 per year, but a 2017 car will cost you the thick end of £500!

Call me a penny pincher, but that influences my choices.  The high rate is payable for 5 years after the first year, so for two 2017 registered cars, where one is registered in March, and the other in April, if I buy the later car now, for 2 years I will pay the higher rate - so an extra £900 odd quid in total.

Harsh, when you are buying a car which was originally over £40k on an £18k budget.

Edited by Calypso-E34

5 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

Road tax pales into insignificance when compared to depreciation of an £18k car purchase. 

Very true!

On cars pre-2001, not quite. Post-2001, probably. Saying that though, I bought a 2004 760Li (6.0 litre V12) last year and that's only like £30.00 per month tax. If I bought a post 2006 model, I think the car tax will increase close to £500 per year. Would that have stopped me? Probably not, but then I guess it depends on which car it is. If it's fairly a rare car, I wouldn't mind paying for it. If it's a common car like a 520d or VAG 1.9TDi, then I would not do it. 

no, as road tax has not been a thing since 1934....

vehicle tax no, most of my vehicles are pre 2001 so 280 odd, just a bonus that my 2003 daily diesel vw is less.

13 minutes ago, welshpug said:

no, as road tax has not been a thing since 1934.....

Yeah - I think most people got the gist without the pedantics.....

Lets face it, in a few years time if not already now, anything decent used (around your budget Mark), will have been over £40k new.

I would just pay the higher road tax bill as monthly instalments as the money is better in my account offsetting the interest on my mortgage than allegedly paying to fix the potholes in the road.