E39mad

Time to move the 328i on?

The E36 convertible went through it's MOT this week with only 350 miles added overall and now sits around 86500 miles.

A new house being built in our garden and Mrs Mad is still off work with long covid so doesn't drive it. It's a garage queen which is only used between May and October. 

We have owned the car since 2013 and spent a lot of time and money getting it to the excellent condition for it's age that it is now. 

Prices have risen especially for a 328i with genuine factory manual Sport like this one. 

Wrong time of year probably but considering our options. 

E36 at Birtles Hall.jpg

Always a dilemma. Few questions spring to mind which are what replaces it (if anything)? are you bored of it? do you need the money?

Finding another would be tricky but of course you don’t have to keep them forever. 

If it’s not costing much to keep I’d be inclined to keep it for those sunny days 

I’m a big fan of top down motoring. 

Thanks Duncan. It's not costing much to keep - insurance is £140 a year, tax is £150pa and MOT including servicing averages out at about £200pa. It probably gains that much in value each year. 

We don't really need the money. I don't think we'd replace at present. The Fiesta only did 1500 miles last year and the 520d is due to do about 3000. We need to keep the Fiesta for our son and daughter to drive (son is already learning). 

Maybe until we are in the new house and we know whether Mrs Mad will be rid of this long covid and back in work (currently no commuting into Manchester) will we take stock. I think one car that could replace the 520d and 328i would be the most sensible thing but who wants to sensible when you are only here once!! 

Edited by E39mad

I'd put it up for around £8000 Rich.

It had a new quality roof last year at over £1000, not that the old one leaked but the stitching on the outside was starting to go and the back window had a small crack in it. Also wanted a blue roof over a black one B)

The genuine Alpina alloys with excellent Goodyear tyres are worth a £1000.

It's not showroom but it is one of the best E36's out there according to Darren Paul (BMW independent in Bredbury).

I think I've decided to keep it for the time being and take stock of the fleet once the house build is done and we know more about my wife's condition.

In the meantime I've seen that E36 M3 verts with similar miles and condition are now north of £16000. In a coupe an M3 is understandable but not necessary in a vert imho where there is a little more flex and speed isn't everything in top down driving. You get enough sensation with a sonorous 2.8 straight six.

Good decision Rupert. 

a good friend of mine has had his 328i sport coupe 18 years now. Still moves it and it’s probably worth what he paid!

totally agree on the m3 point. An m3 convertible makes no sense. They’re only fun when thrashing them and I wouldn’t feel happy doing that without a roof so like you a 328/330i seems The logical choice.