Sign in to follow this  
bmw ug

Wheel upgrade harsh ride

Hi I’ve finally upgraded my F10 520d  SE wheels.

Managed to pick up a set of used wheels BMW styling 609 staggered setup, the run flat tyres need replacement as they are down to 4mm or less. 

fronts 225 45 18 Bridgestone

rears 275 40 18 Bridgestone

Im not sure if it’s just the old tyres or the new profile but the car feels terrible to drive now. Tramlines front and rear! I have to really hold on to the steering wheel now when cruising about. 

Road holding has drastically improved when cornering harder. Feels like I’ve fitted stiff coilovers. Not really the the ride I want from my SE tho. 

Drove great on the 17” wheels with run flats. 

Any ideas, really love the look and don’t want to go back to 17”. 

180D6136-992B-4F48-9518-C956549C4D57.jpeg

Edited by bmw ug
New photo

I find run flats 'go off' below 4mm and the pliancy of the ride disappears. Another of the (many) reasons I binned them for conventional rubber. 

You're also on a lower profile, but new rubber will certainly make a difference, but certainly not to the level of comfort you had on the 17's. Car looks nicer on the new rims though.

17" rfts will be slightly more squidgy than 18" rfts due to the extra sidewall height.  I've run mine on 17", 18" and 19" rfts.  The 17" gave the softest ride but the impression it was on stilts when cornering.  The 19" makes the car handle like its on rails in the bends at the trade off of being less forgiving (harsher) on poor road surfaces.

As others have said, even premium tyres when worn can make the car feel quite squirmy especially on poor road surfaces.  My E60 with its rfts used to tramline if the pressures were incorrect but not enough for the TPWS to trigger a fault.  Worth checking the pressures and the condition of the used wheels, are they perfectly round and true?  Always a risk that buying used wheels have been damaged.

Thanks everyone, the rims seem straight pretty immaculate apparently they have been in storage for 5 years! Time for some new rubber then.

Now I need to decide if I’m keeping the run flats.