hitt

Reverse Gong Coding

E60 520i 2004 - CCC

Is anybody able to advise how to disable the gong/chime sound when putting the car into reverse?
I'm not referring to the PDC sound. This is specifically the BMW gong/warning sound that chimes when I place the car into reverse and then continues to chime every couple of seconds whilst the car remains in reverse. I have an aftermarket PDC, so I don't think that it is any form of PDC fault and I don't get any warning messages.
Really annoying!

I know that is is coded for some specific countries such as Japan, but I'd like to disable it.

Holding my hands up . . I mistakenly coded in the reverse gong a while ago when I was coding something else, but just can't find how to turn it off. 

I've tried a few settings within the CCC:
- Ensuring that JAPAN is coded as not active
- BA_LAENDER_VARIANTE is coded to Europe
- Looked for references to ACOUSTIC/AKUSTIK

Any other potential pointers? I'm assuming that it is either going to need coding in the CCC or KOMBI. Couldn't find anything related in KOMBI.
Is is possibly another control unit I need to be looking at?

Worst case I hunt down the gong speaker and disconnect it. But I'd rather not do that, as the gong is useful for other warnings.

Many thanks

Thanks. I've tried that setting and it is disabled. I've also tried to code it enabled, then recode it disabled to see if that would make it stick.

There are also a couple of settings referring to JPGONG. Tried changing those too to see if that made any difference. No luck! 

Screenshot of BimmerTech ProTool attached.Screenshot_20210915-235442.thumb.png.841db9482865fdf69314391589771e6e.png

Might be worth checking the PDC module.

There is an  option to set "Tone Generator via entertainment or via buzzer" - TONGEBER

On my E61 LCI PDC sounds come from entertainment system I guess it's the same on a 2004 car.

Thanks @know-dice. I don't have an OEM PDC module. The car had an aftermarket PDC when I bought it, which doesn't link into any of the ECUs. The sounder for the PDC is also independent. It also doesn't use the CANBUS for the reverse signal. It takes the signal from the reverse light via a relay. So I'm pretty sure that the PDC itself is not the issue, as it's fairly isolated from the rest of the systems.

I just did factory recode of both the CCC and KOMBI using the Vehicle Order based on the VIN.

Definitely reset everything, as I had to recode my Aux afterwards, but this annoying gong just keeps going when in reverse!

I even tried using my spare key to unlock and start the car to see if that made any difference, as the CCC has a separate set up depending on the key I use (e.g. the set of saved radio stations changes based on which key I use). Still no joy.

Any chance that it could be a different control unit?

Otherwise, I may just have to go around and factory reset each control unit to see which one could possibly be causing this, but I can't imagine that it is any of the others.

Thanks 

Finally managed to get this sorted. It appears that there are a number of replicated settings within the CCC. There is another REVERSE_GONG setting hidden away in the midst of settings for the installed audio system (i.e. Stereo, HiFi . . ) This was still set to enabled, and even resisted changing back to the default after the CCC was factory reset back to the original Vehicle Order. 

Just glad that this is finally sorted out. Thanks @know-dice. Appreciate the effort in trying to help me resolve this.

What I didn't initially appreciate was that the reverse Gong was not the same sound as the physical warning gong. The reverse gong plays through all the car speakers, rather than the physical gong, which plays through a dedicated speaker.

When hunting through the code of various control units, but especially the CCC, I found a lot of duplication and the need to code things in more than one place to get it to work as expected. This was a similar example where there were two separate entries for Reverse _Gong, one showing as disabled and the other still enabled.

This could just be the fact that I am using the BimmerGeeks ProTool rather than NCS Expert. I find it so much quicker to code via my phone rather than using a PC and navigating NCS Expert, which I still have to use Google to help me with at times.

Getting to the second Reverse_Gong was a convoluted process, so I need to hunt down where I found that setting again to help anybody else like me who (rather stupidly) enables the reverse gong and can't work out how to turn it off.

Edited by hitt
Typos

It's always worth documenting these things as much as possible for future reference...

Can you detail which modules in which you had to change these settings?

12 hours ago, hitt said:

What I didn't initially appreciate was that the reverse Gong was not the same sound as the physical warning gong. The reverse gong plays through all the car speakers, rather than the physical gong, which plays through a dedicated speaker.

AFAIK there is no separate physical Gong on E6x. All the sounds are produced by audio system.

On 17/09/2021 at 13:35, know-dice said:

It's always worth documenting these things as much as possible for future reference...

Can you detail which modules in which you had to change these settings?

I've attached a video which shows the module I had to update to disable the reverse gong. It was part of the CCC, but I had to access it via the MOST BUS control module, which still seems to form part of the overall CCC coding.

This was coded using the BMW ProTool. They have structured the modules logically, so this may not map directly to other coding tools. Just find this one easier, as it seems like I can code everything that I can in NCS Expert, but using my phone and with a very simple interface.