Coaster

any firmware update at service?

Since my latest service at c.30k miles the car feels different to drive; possibly gearbox map, possibly engine map or both.  Has anyone else experienced this or is anyone aware of main dealers routinely flashing cars with new maps, possibly in response to dieselgate?  My 530d is now so eager to get into 8th gear and very reluctant to change down thereafter!  I may be imagining it but it feels as though it has been fettled and not in a good way!

29 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Since my latest service at c.30k miles the car feels different to drive; possibly gearbox map, possibly engine map or both.  Has anyone else experienced this or is anyone aware of main dealers routinely flashing cars with new maps, possibly in response to dieselgate?  My 530d is now so eager to get into 8th gear and very reluctant to change down thereafter!  I may be imagining it but it feels as though it has been fettled and not in a good way!

No, BMW will not update the software unless there is an underlying issue needing resolution and they are prompted to do so.

You can tell the iStep level (Software Integration Level) by extracting your driver profile to a USB stick and opening the resulting file on a PC and reading off the iStep number. Post the iStep number here if you want any detail on the age of the Integration level.

If you service the car when CBS reminds you to do so (around 18k mile), then I think the new oil will make the engine run smoother than the old oil and response better than the old oil. If you change the oil around half of that mileage, there is still some differences but less noticeable. Also, dealer may reset some engine or gearbox driving style learning value, which will also make some differences. But, as Matthew said, dealer will not update the software unless there is an issue (either reported by you or found by bmw), in which case bmw calls it technical enhancement and the dealer will tell you when you drop off the car and sign the paperwork. If the issue is a major issue (dangerous to drive or break the law), then it is a recall and BMW will send you a letter, or at least the dealer should tell you.

7 hours ago, Coaster said:

Funny you say this, I got my 530dx serviced last month, and it’s definitely changed driving style, over the 45k I’ve put on it since new.

I noticed it most in eco pro mode, especially when using cruise control, before if cruise was at 70mpg and I approached a hill, the system would almost instantly add power and I’d maybe only drop down to 68-69mph before speeding back up to 70.

Now it happily lets me drop to 64-66mph before increasing power again, it seems more economically minded than before.

I posted the same question on the G30 FB group and was also told if was my imagination . 

Edited by Jonny2400

27 minutes ago, Jonny2400 said:

Funny you say this, I got my 530dx serviced last month, and it’s definitely changed driving style, over the 45k I’ve put on it since new.

I noticed it most in eco pro mode, especially when using cruise control, before if cruise was at 70mpg and I approached a hill, the system would almost instantly add power and I’d maybe only drop down to 68-69mph before speeding back up to 70.

Now it happily lets me drop to 64-66mph before increasing power again, it seems more economically minded than before.

I posted the same question on the G30 FB group and was also told if was my imagination . 

Mine  (also 530dx) has always had a large hysteresis on cruise in eco pro so what you’re seeing sounds just the same. I never use it - it just annoys the drivers behind who think you’re slowing down and speeding up again.

Edited by Boba

yes, agree with this ref. cruise in eco pro.

I also agree with what

q96169we

says ref. throttle map reset. Had this on an old E46 M3.  I must have a heavy right foot but the standard throttle map is very lazy.

Edited by Coaster

I have the same problem in eco pro whilst on cruise, often slows down by as much as 3-4 mph which isn’t great when you are trying to pass a car, with another car on your back bumper

On 14/09/2021 at 21:58, Jonny2400 said:

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago on a 600 mile round trip.

I couldn't fathom the reason for it, anything it saves in the drop it loses it again catching up, really annoying tbf. 

13 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

anything it saves in the drop it loses it again catching up, really annoying tbf. 

I think the rationale is that even on a more or less flat road there are minor undulations and rather than use fuel on the ups it just waits to see if the speed will come back on the downs without adding power. I think it works, just makes it pretty unusable except on empty roads.

yes, this is my main reason for avoiding ECO pro which is disappointing because it seems to be the only way to access coasting other than manually selecting Neutral.  Am I right in think there is no coasting in Comfort Mode?

The alternative (which I usually use) is to use the Limit in ECO PRO and just keep your foot firmly on the throttle. It still coasts at the limit and as far as I can see only drops maybe 1-2mph at most below the set limit at an incline before it drops a gear. The disadvantage is that it doesn’t prevent overspeeding on downhills but the corresponding advantage is that it doesn’t wear the rear brakes out on minor overspeeding either.

9 hours ago, Coaster said:

yes, this is my main reason for avoiding ECO pro which is disappointing because it seems to be the only way to access coasting other than manually selecting Neutral.  Am I right in think there is no coasting in Comfort Mode?

Yes, I'm pretty certain there's no coasting in comfort. 

I hear your points, but I always use eco pro, first thing I do when I get in the car, 99% of my driving is in eco pro and since last service two months ago,  it definitely drives differently, than it did for the last 3 years and 45,000 miles since I’ve owned it.

Its  not like, I only had a few weeks before or used eco pro occasionally, I know how it drove and it’s definitely changed.

Edited by Jonny2400

You can xHP flash the gearbox:

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

It changes the shift points to your own tastes. I have got it on my tuned 335i, that’s on their stage 3 gearbox map & is great fun in sport mode makes the G31 540i feel really slow!

They also cover the other end of the spectrum with eco maps. They have their sets of specially designed preset maps or you can set all your own shift points if you’d rather.

Without re-reading their website I’m 99% sure you change all three maps (that you change in the car - Sports, Comfort & Eco) on the G cars when you put their flash on. So with my 335i for instance even though I’m on their top sports map, with the car in the normal D mode it’s perfectly normal to drive, just putting it into Sport mode utterly transforms the tuned car into a snarling animal! 

I think they said the dealership can’t detect their gear box tunes as far a warranty work goes (I should still have the email from them if anyone wanted to know exactly). Generally insurance companies don’t mind as your not changing the cars power output, you just should to tell them to be safe. 

With the current fuel shortages I have been using the standard Eco mode much more, I find pulling out of junctions annoying with it with the way it makes the throttle response so much slower…