Sign in to follow this  
roundy

Disc and pad replacement disaster!!

4 minutes ago, marko530d said:

Glad its not sorted I take it you never got the 2 part discs like the genuine bmw items ?

Should have gone to specsavers mate :lol: they are defo two piece discs.  You can see the rivets around the central bell housing.

3 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Should have gone to specsavers mate :lol: they are defo two piece discs.  You can see the rivets around the central bell housing.

Ah yes :lol: ... 

So they fitted the wrong size pads?  That shows either willful neglect or utter incompetence doesnt it...   who doesnt compare old and new parts first? also can a 330mm pad even fit properly into a 348 carrier?  Wouldnt it be obvious its the wrong part - genuine question as ive never managed to do that myself.

I do agree everyone makes mistake but holy hell a garage is supposed to be competent and carry out work with due care. Its not really comparable to DIY.

Glad its sorted anyway.

Edited by bmwmike

I bought brembo discs and pads from gsf. they sat on my floor for 2-3 months before I fitted them. Imagine going for a refund or replacement after that amount of time. Wtf can't they get the fitment right based on your reg like the main dealer?

10 hours ago, bmwmike said:

also can a 330mm pad even fit properly into a 348 carrier? 

I was thinking that over myself. What we are saying is the caliper cradle from a 348mm disc will accept pads (which we know are shallower) from a 330mm disc.

You would think that they deliberately would not fit for this exact reason. Should be a square peg round hole scenario. But apparently not.

But without digging into realoem etc are the calipers/ carriers actually different? In my experience different cars with different discs use same calipers etc.

Does anyone have a pad of each to put side by side?

52 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I was thinking that over myself. What we are saying is the caliper cradle from a 348mm disc will accept pads (which we know are shallower) from a 330mm disc.

You would think that they deliberately would not fit for this exact reason. Should be a square peg round hole scenario. But apparently not.

Yeah length wise they must presumably fit in terms of stretching across the sliders/holder but not deep enough to sweep the disc. Surely B2J it would look wrong though and anyone who has done brakes before would look at it and think hmmm that doesnt look right!

I actually paid the garage to fit the correct pads yesterday as i needed the car back so im down £80 and looks like it i'll of ended up paying for 2x sets of pads aswell.

ECP are refusing to refund me for the original pads due not being in the original box and that they have been fitted, the garage said it's down to them to sort out.  

10 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Yeah length wise they must presumably fit in terms of stretching across the sliders/holder but not deep enough to sweep the disc. Surely B2J it would look wrong though and anyone who has done brakes before would look at it and think hmmm that doesnt look right!

Yeah, even when it's pointed out them when they came to recover us on the evening. I said look at the disc... the pads are not making contact all the way along and the response was the thing is mate your last discs were drilled and grooved so these need time to bed in and won't be as good so nothing surprises me now. 

46 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

But without digging into realoem etc are the calipers/ carriers actually different? In my experience different cars with different discs use same calipers etc.

Does anyone have a pad of each to put side by side?

I wish i'd taken a picture now the mechanic showed me when i took him the new ones, needless to say, it's massively obvious size-wise.  This is to be expected though when it's been rushed! 

11 hours ago, bmwPower said:

I bought brembo discs and pads from gsf. they sat on my floor for 2-3 months before I fitted them. Imagine going for a refund or replacement after that amount of time. Wtf can't they get the fitment right based on your reg like the main dealer?

ECP were very firm on the fact they had been fitted so the is no way they are having them back, even as a good will gesture because they had provided the wrong disc and pads and advised me wrong. 

It could have gotten worse aswell, the garage correcting the work rang my local ECP branch and to confirm all the parts were correct and it's only then EPC said oh you shouldn't have those pads, they were then even advising them to remove the current disc as i should of had handed discs that were 34mm thick!! 

They both as bad as each other in this instance but it's costing me money in between aswell to get things done. 

2 hours ago, roundy said:

It could have gotten worse aswell, the garage correcting the work rang my local ECP branch and to confirm all the parts were correct and it's only then EPC said oh you shouldn't have those pads, they were then even advising them to remove the current disc as i should of had handed discs that were 34mm thick!! 

More like you should name and shame your local branch of ECP as there is no such things as 34mm thick discs on the F10 range.

3 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

But without digging into realoem etc are the calipers/ carriers actually different?

Yeah they are. The smaller diameter discs have different carriers and calipers and the 30x348 discs have different calipers and cradles from the 36x348 discs.

In other words plenty of ways to get the wrong combination of parts.....

The original garage has now refused to give me 4 tyres and refurb all 4 wheels as promised and continue to say this is all ECP fault as the wrong parts were supplied. I had to push for the original £80 fitment to be refunded, which they have done. 

They will only respond to me now if I reply to their solicitors! 

35 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

More like you should name and shame your local branch of ECP as there is no such things as 34mm thick discs on the F10 range.

Yeah they are. The smaller diameter discs have different carriers and calipers and the 30x348 discs have different calipers and cradles from the 36x348 discs.

In other words plenty of ways to get the wrong combination of parts.....

The first garage I took my car to on Friday told me immediately the discs were wrong when the discs were compared, we couldn't swap them the same day due to stock supply. So ECP replaced them next day and discounted them further for the inconvenience.  At this point, the very first garage had no availability for fitment on Saturday and i tried my luck at the other garage. 

Little did i know the pads were wrong, would be fitted anyway and the calipers left in right mess alone with an unsafe caliper clip being put back on.  

It sounds as though you’ve given them too much of a hard time TBH. I’d have thought that completing the job properly and refurbishing the scuffed alloy was fair bearing in mind that they’ve already swallowed the costs from you supplying them the wrong parts. 4 tyres and 4 refurbs for free is asking a lot IMHO. It’s easy to say they should have compared the pads but from their side they did as you asked and fitted the parts you supplied.

Not sniping, just my 2p. I’d probably be as miffed as you are, just a question of shaking hands on it maybe.

Edited by Boba

13 minutes ago, Boba said:

It sounds as though you’ve given them too much of a hard time TBH. I’d have thought that completing the job properly and refurbishing the scuffed alloy was fair bearing in mind that they’ve already swallowed the costs from you supplying them the wrong parts. 4 tyres and 4 refurbs for free is asking a lot IMHO. It’s easy to say they should have compared the pads but from their side they did as you asked and fitted the parts you supplied.

Not sniping, just my 2p. I’d probably be as miffed as you are, just a question of shaking hands on it maybe.

I know you are not sniping Boba and putting your point across, but i'll have to disagree. 

I don't agree i've given them a hard time at all nor have i supplied the wrong parts, ECP supplied the wrong parts after checking with them several times they would be correct and checking previous orders/invoices and measurements 348 disc / 348 pads / none high speed brake system.

At the end of the day the car was given to me in an unsafe condition and could have been fatal, even if they had the right pads first time round they still continued to refit an unsafe caliper clip which caused damage. 

I wouldn't be shaking hands on it unfortunately or using the business again, i asked for them to meet me halfway or work with me and they don't want to know. 

Sometimes it is just not worth the effort. Running about, telephone calls, fuel costs, headache etc. I recently put a price on my time and a price on my effort. Learn from mistakes, never put 100% trust in anyone to do a job properly and don't expect anything for nothing. Even professionals make mistakes, inspect their work if possible before leaving. I would personally purchase 2 new springs, get the correct set of pads, take it to a different garage and get them to replace them while you wait in a viewing area if possible. I wouldn't bother with the alloy refurb if it's not visible from the outside face. Then put it all behind you and move on.

Edited by San75

2 hours ago, San75 said:

Sometimes it is just not worth the effort. Running about, telephone calls, fuel costs, headache etc. I recently put a price on my time and a price on my effort. Learn from mistakes, never put 100% trust in anyone to do a job properly and don't expect anything for nothing. Even professionals make mistakes, inspect their work if possible before leaving. I would personally purchase 2 new springs, get the correct set of pads, take it to a different garage and get them to replace them while you wait in a viewing area if possible. I wouldn't bother with the alloy refurb if it's not visible from the outside face. Then put it all behind you and move on.

I completely agree on putting behind me, it's very unlucky what's happened and it won't ever happen again. 

Regarding not having the wheel refurbed though, i wouldn't say that's very sound advice given the are chunks missing from the back of the alloy and it would need rebalancing.

2 minutes ago, marko530d said:

Are the tyres damaged?

I needed 2 rear as they were low and the fronts were worn on the one side, I spoke with the owner and he agreed for the inconvenience caused and him admitting to giving me a car back that was unsafe, with no brakes and had the calipers in a terrible state.  I know it changes things once he knew incorrect parts had been fitted and didn't want to know. 

If i hadn't contacted the garage left dealing with it and paid i wouldn't have my car back now.