Sign in to follow this  
roundy

Disc and pad replacement disaster!!

Hi all,

I had the front disc and pads replaced over the weekend and it's been a complete disaster, a weekend away trip was scrapped because of it - other than the car being returned to me in safe/working condition and any damages repaired, WHAT else would you be asking for as in compensation? 

I'll leave these pictures here what a complete JOKE!!  I'm not going to name and shame them as they have a very good rep in the west midlands but this could have been fatal as we were almost on the motorway  - 

other things to mention which is a disgrace!!

• They blamed a bent driver's caliper clip on the previous garage who looked at it - COMPLETE LIES as the previous garage didn't even touch the driver's side at all.
  • When they came out to rescue us they said the brakes are soft due to being a new disc/pad, not bedded in and previous discs that were on were a higher grade so you can't expect the same -  I HAVE NO WORDS utter b0llocks!
  • The guy who worked on the car said I've done brakes for years, I think I know what I'm doing, from the pictures you can see how the calipers have been left/handled, he also never noticed where the pads are not touching the disc - A true pro!

So the car is with another garage at the moment having all the calipers stripped to see what they have done,  the owner of the current garage has even admitted to me he wouldn't of refit the caliper clip so I'm just gobsmacked, to say the least..........Weekend holiday wrecked, stress caused, and a car that doesn't brake properly damaged alloy and battered calipers! 

As it stands they are paying for 4 wheels to be refurbed by another company but i had to push for that, i don't think I'm being unreasonable but it's not enough!! 

IMG_20210911_191517 (1).jpg

IMG_20210911_191527.jpg

IMG_20210911_225525 (1).jpg

IMG_20210911_225531.jpg

IMG_20210911_225602.jpg

When they had recovered us and put the clip back in place so we could make it home we offered this for the problems they caused.....

"We will refund you the money you paid to have the disc/pads fitted but you will need to buy the clip and pay for the labour for fitment!!!"

33 minutes ago, McBeemer said:

Name and shame. Only way they will learn that shoddy workmanship = lost revenue. 

Depending on forum policy i agree. That is appalling and no doubt a safety issue.

The spring clips are meant to be replaced if changing pads on a car more than 4 years old.  

I’ve never changed the spring clip when I’ve done pads and discs and have never had an issue.

Saying that I’ve got a spare set of spring clips to go on (as they were cheap as chips from Autodo) when I strip the brakes off to do the bearings. 

From the pictures it looks like the spring clip has sprung out after presumably being re-fitted. If it was removed by an ape using an air hammer then it probably will have been bent out of shape.  They prize out easily with a screwdriver or pry bar, but it is essential that they clip fully back into place. They might look to be correctly in place but if the centre clip isn’t in and that’s the tricky one, then after a few miles of pressing the pedal and the caliper moving/slightly then that might just be enough for it to pop out. 

I can’t tell from the pics what you mean by pads not touching the discs.  With the spring clip in place the caliper may be more likely to move around and therefore affect the position of pads relative to the disc. 

How many miles did you do before this occured? as it looks like the inner half never touched the pads like you said. But yes as above that spring clip needs to be seated in properly otherwise it will pop out and cause the damage. interested to hear what the damage report is

I can’t tell from the pics what you mean by pads not touching the discs. - I meant in the last picture you can see where the Brembo coating is still present and on the disc,  that would of been removed after a few miles IF all of the pad was making contact on both sides. 

To confirm both sides of the car are like this. 

How many miles did you do before this occurred? - For the clip to pop about only about 5 miles, I'd say if it wasn't for me turning the music down and having the window open it would have been even longer to notice.

I've been assured both calipers have been stripped down and checked over for any faults plus 2 new clips ordered for both sides, even the owner agreed he wouldn't of refit the clip the state it was in, says a lot doesn't it. 

I don't think the lad working on it should be allowed near a car personally, in the words of the AA who checked if over "I think they need to find another profession, this is a right mess. If we carried work like this and gave it back to the customer we would be fired".

I thought I'd heard a lot of bullsh1t bingo in my time but the lies/fobbing off these lot come out with I'm gobsmacked!

A person with some experience can remove that spring in 20 seconds and put it back just as quick. If you don't want to name and shame please post their road name or postcode instead. This way at least we can avoid that location altogether. I never trust anyone to work on my cars that's why I do everything myself unless it requires a lift. I recommend taking a quick video of the car and the area they are going to work on before handing the car over in case of disputes.

Edited by San75

It's a shame it has to come down to that though isn't it, and yes you are right I did the very same thing with BMW paint shop and it really helped me out in that instance. I did a Carly scan of the car for errors prior to taking the car to them and thank god I did, they returned the car to me with 2 of the 360 cams not working and tried to charge me £500 labor to put it right. Soon as that printout was presented to them showing no issues with the cameras they didn't argue it anymore and handed me the keys back. 

Before any naming and shaming goes on, the garage that the car was at getting the brakes fitted should be given the opportunity to right any wrongs.  Have you given them that opportunity?  I appreciate you may not want them too, but they do have the right to sort it first.  I've been in similar circumstances where someone has clearly messed up, but you must give them the opportunity to fix it first.

I see the picture now, I was on my phone when I last posted.  The caliper has clearly moved slightly because the clip has popped out so is not pressing squarely on the outboard pad which is why you've still got some coating on the smaller diameter parts of the disc.  

21 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Before any naming and shaming goes on, the garage that the car was at getting the brakes fitted should be given the opportunity to right any wrongs.  Have you given them that opportunity?  I appreciate you may not want them too, but they do have the right to sort it first.  I've been in similar circumstances where someone has clearly messed up, but you must give them the opportunity to fix it first.

Andrew, I think there is no harm naming the garage in this instance irrelevant of whether they have had the opportunity to fix it yet, and I don't think it has any bearing on the good standing of this forum. They obviously have low standards allowing shoddy safety work to leave the garage and, if my car happened to be booked in with them, I'd like to know about this terrible service beforehand so I could cancel and rebook elsewhere. 

Mistakes do happen though and we have one side of the story, I can see why the OP is upset and perhaps the garage PR skills aren't up too much but if a genuine error the garage should have chance to make redress.

I'm afraid i've heard utter BS from AA men too - condemned the gear box of our 330d despite it driving fine entailing it being relayed 270 miles and a hire car all for a detached intake hose spotted immediately when the relay driver and I opened the bonnet - took longer to get the screw driver than fix the problem.

Also told the head gasket had gone when the 530d dumped its coolant when a hose popped off, i was told he'd done a sniffer test on the coolant? What f**king coolant its over the M25...

Speaking to a garage about the above and told it wold need a timing belt... its a chain, i know that.

So my point is people like to see the worst and point the finger lets hold off on the crucifixion!

The plot thickens.............

Yes, I've given them the opportunity to put what's wrong, and as it stands they are willing to also refurb all 4 alloys and also fit 4 new tyres so they know how unhappy I am!!  All I requested was the garage nearby work on the car on not them due to how the calipers were left.

This is turning into a nightmare, so it turns out ECP really hasn't helped this whole issue either, i feel like pulling my hair out.

The garage called me to say both calipers have been stripped, system bled and so on, all put back together, repainted calipers and the is still a problem, then goes on to tell me that the Pagid pads provided are for a 330 disc not a 348 like mine, so ECP have provided wrong pads but the original fitter has still fitted them :( 

So now i need to get the right pads to him and hope this corrects everything, this is the 2nd incident that ECP has given me 2 incorrect items, the first was ATE discs that were too thick and now this! 

So ECP have sold me pads that would have never fit my car in the first place and by bad luck / the mechanic fitting them and not checking means they have ended up on the car, I just hope refitting the 348 ones resolves all issues as i'm without a car at the moment. 

The garage called me to say both calipers have been stripped, system bled and so on, all put back together, repainted calipers and the is still a problem, then goes on to tell me that the Pagid pads provided are for a 330 disc not a 348 like mine, so ECP have provided wrong pads but the original fitter has still fitted them :( 

So I rest my case about the original fitter and the garage he or she works for. Comparing new parts against those removed from the car to ensure likeness is a fundamental practice that should be adhered to.

So now i need to get the right pads to him and hope this corrects everything, this is the 2nd incident that ECP has given me 2 incorrect items, the first was ATE discs that were too thick and now this! 

Did you order these parts from ECP online? ECP doesn't have access to your car's specific fitment as BMW would have so it is up to you to check that the "fitment" is correct for your car (fitment in quotes as there is a tab on the ecp parts catalogue giving the specifics of the part you're buying) 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

The garage owner did say to me yesterday we are never fitting parts that the customer supplies ever again.

I get this and understand BUT, i would have done the same the as them though and given and give my reg and seen the options available to me, in fact, I rang the order through and they advised me of stock and what would fit my car. They even went off my previous orders and i asked several times these are definitely correct as you have sent me pads before that were too large etc.

Screenshot-20210915-101704-Car-Parts-UK.

You will always get this when ordering online always best to get measurements yourself then ask ecp. 

My indy refuses to use ECP parts on higher end stuff - he does for my Mom's Toyota etc, but for mine he only uses genuine OEM.

ECP have many tales of woe in terms of parts supplied and quality. Personally I've used them for years for basics such as batteries and consumables and never had an issue but agree with others here - the fitter should have checked the supplied parts and not just assumed they were correct and installed them. 

Well, the correct pads are with the garage at the moment, fingers are crossed all is good again once the correct pads are fitted. 

Tricky situation, I feel a lot of sympathy for everyone involved. It's a right pain.

This happens to garages EVERYDAY when they source parts themselves. That's why, as you have mentioned, you have to compare parts regardless of where or who they are coming from. Even the main dealer makes mistakes.

They sound like a good outfit though that are doing their best.

Mistakes made on both sides and you are doing quite well to be refunded for the labour to fit the supplied pads and discs, four alloy refurbs and now four tyres IMHO.

Make sure the paint on your calipers doesn't hinder the movement of the necessary parts.  If the caliper is prevented from moving it may cause enough stress for the spring clip to pop out.

3 hours ago, bmwPower said:

Tricky situation, I feel a lot of sympathy for everyone involved. It's a right pain.

This happens to garages EVERYDAY when they source parts themselves. That's why, as you have mentioned, you have to compare parts regardless of where or who they are coming from. Even the main dealer makes mistakes.

They sound like a good outfit though that are doing their best.

Wholeheartedly agree with all your points and couldn't have put it better myself.

Hands up on here who's never made a mistake working on their cars?  I know I've made a right few clangers on the F10, I have had bruises to prove it!

On 15/09/2021 at 19:02, 535i Andrew said:

Mistakes made on both sides and you are doing quite well to be refunded for the labour to fit the supplied pads and discs, four alloy refurbs and now four tyres IMHO.

Definitely @535i Andrew alot of places would tell you to sod off as you supplied incorrect parts and blame that as the fault.

Glad its sorted did you get the 2 part discs like the genuine bmw items ?

Edited by marko530d

17 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Hands up on here who's never made a mistake working on their cars?  I know I've made a right few clangers on the F10, I have had bruises to prove it!

Bought incorrect discs before for our old mk6 golf but never fitted as checked with old ones funnily enough they were from ECP :lol: