Sign in to follow this  
Craig David

Is 30 miles twice a week ok for a diesel 530?

I bought my 530d when I had to do a regular 230 mile round trip, almost all on motorway for work, every week or two. I don't need to do that now.

I do far fewer miles now. I do a 30 mile (each way, so twice) trip, again almost always all on dual carriageway, about once a week.

Do you think that will be enough to keep it healthy? I am aware modern diesels need longer journeys to keep them running ok otherwise various systems may get clogged up.

The rest of my use is a fair number of short journeys and a handful of much longer ones. I do try and use a little motorbike for the short journeys but due to the pressures of life that very rarely happens if I'm honest. 

The 30 mile each way trip should be enough to ensure the DPF can regen when it needs to so if you're doing that once a week I'd say that'd be enough to keep things healthy. If the rest of your journeys are short a 530d might be a little way outside its comfort zone, especially if it doesn't get the chance to fully warm up but as long as it gets a 30 mile dual carriageway run every week I'd say it'll be happy enough.

I wouldn't worry. I cannot remember any reports of F10/11 dpf problems which could have been an issue with the previous generation. Did BMW change the way it generates to stop them getting clogged up. 

Calculating it out I'd suggest you try and do a 'burn run' at least once a month.

30 miles at 'instantaneous' 70mph is just under 30 mins. Reality says you're unlikely to sustain over 50mph for too long in any one chunk once everything is fully up to temperature.

Assuming you had commanded a forced regen using 'computer means', you might just sneak something in as soon as the required parameters are met, but again unlikely.

I'm in a similar situation as my daily run to work is all of 15mins engine running time. In summer temperatures the warm up is obviously faster, but still by the time I'm parking up, the needle's only been straight up for 5 mins tops.

To reduce chances of problems, once a month I go for an autobahn blast for around 80-100km out at speeds up to around 200kmh (conditions permitting), then back in at 90kmh on the cruise. I'm hoping this means the exhaust system is at higher temperatures and pressures for a suitable period, but then maintains sufficient temperature during the run in for a commanded regen via Carly. The run also giving both batteries a decent charge and reducing water buildup in the oil.

Get yourself bimmertool to keep a eye on things.

Just noticed gear changes not as smooth and holding gears longer on my n57 was thinking gearbox issue pluged in obd and sure enough had already requested a regeneration.

Took it up motorway and it cleared all super smooth again.

Screenshot-20210910-193555-bimmer-tool.j

It automatically stopped at 17% so a requested a regeneration got it down to 2% cars been round doors for months had one 40 mile run to caravan. 

Tbh just going for a motorway runs is pointless unless you know it needs a regeneration or is definitely going to do a regeneration you could just be wasting your time and fuel.

Bimmertool is fantastic for short run diesel owner's.

Edited by marko530d

22 hours ago, marko530d said:

Get yourself bimmertool to keep a eye on things.

Just noticed gear changes not as smooth and holding gears longer on my n57 was thinking gearbox issue pluged in obd and sure enough had already requested a regeneration.

Took it up motorway and it cleared all super smooth again.

Screenshot-20210910-193555-bimmer-tool.j

It automatically stopped at 17% so a requested a regeneration got it down to 2% cars been round doors for months had one 40 mile run to caravan. 

Tbh just going for a motorway runs is pointless unless you know it needs a regeneration or is definitely going to do a regeneration you could just be wasting your time and fuel.

Bimmertool is fantastic for short run diesel owner's.

How do you know when its due for a regen? the soot % is close to 100?

57 minutes ago, DR-JEKL said:

How do you know when its due for a regen? the soot % is close to 100?

Yeah will start at 100% 

I wouldn't worry too much about the DPF clogging up until you notice an error code after a diagnostic scan. From my experience owning an E60 530d for over 10 years, if only one DPF related error code is present then you can request a regen and take it for a long drive. If 2 errors codes are present then it gets a bit tricky. You may have to get some to sit in your car and clear the errors until regen starts and the backpressure starts to drop. If the exhaust temperature hits over 400 degrees it's a good sign that the regen will complete successfully. If the backpressure is too high or regen starts and stops after a minute or so then you have to inject some cleaner directly into the DPF and take it for a drive. I did not take my car on a motorway for over 3 years due to suspension issues that were resulting in DPF warnings every 3-4 months. Having said that my first DPF issue was at approx 85k. I finally got rid of the car in part-ex last month due to failed steering rack, at 158k still with the original DPF. Hope this helps.