Sign in to follow this  
Ocallen

Alternative seats for an e39.

My car has standard leather SE seats fitted with manual controls and no heating elements.

I’ve sourced some e39 leather Sports seats with manual controls and no heating elements but they’re heavy old things. 

When I had my e36 Touring I discovered that standard Z4 seats fitted with no modifications and using the same bolt fittings. They were considerably lighter than anything fitted as OE and were comfortable in daily use.

Does anyone know of another BMW seat that fits the e39? Does the e39 share the fitting with another model? Is the seat fitting in the e39 the same as the e36 or e46 ? 

Hi,

The most common choice and the one that most E39 owners want and go for is the E38 Sport Contours. The main reasons are the adjustability and the lumbar support as well as it all being electrically powered. The headrest is a more comfortable shape too and of course that in most cases it's a physical plug n play swap over. I think there's a difference between pre and face lift models and the plug pin arrangement is slightly different but easily resolved and quite a few topics about it. 

A set of fantastic condition, black E38 Sport Contours came up so I purchased right away as I wanted to see if they're better/good for my lower back pain. Soon after fitting, Covid began to arrive and I've only driven the car perhaps 200 miles since so I don't know if they're going to suit me longer term. If not, I'll sell them on and try other seats. I had the Z3 seats on my shortlist too, I can't quite remember if there's more involved to make them fit and connect up though. I may go with an aftermarket seat too and I have one more project type possibility that I could go for depending on how much it'll cost to do as I'm thinking !

I think a few people have managed to squeeze in E60 Sport seats into an E39, but I vaguely recall there at least some work needed to get them to fit/work properly. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Something I’m considering is a style matching the Scheel seats fitted in some BMWs in the 70s, particularly the CSL. It’s a car that when finished, if that day ever comes, that many aspects of it will remind me of my motoring past, particularly BMW in the 70s.

Audi recaros are also an option but require subframes etc to fit but there similar to

the seats Found in the alpina b10 that has factory recaros 

M5 seats are also a nice upgrade but pricy these days 

The subframes are a grey area for me. As I’ve mentioned z4 seats slotted straight into an e36 but what subframe fitting is the same as the e39? Probably the e38 is but there’s no lightweight/sports seat there. Another close model in design period is the e46 but is there a similar fitment?

16 minutes ago, Ocallen said:

The subframes are a grey area for me. As I’ve mentioned z4 seats slotted straight into an e36 but what subframe fitting is the same as the e39? Probably the e38 is but there’s no lightweight/sports seat there. Another close model in design period is the e46 but is there a similar fitment?

I highly doubt that E46 seats are much lighter than E39.

Nothing bolts up to the e39 other than e38 seats unfortunately but stuff can be modded to fit like any other car setup, recaros from Audi or another make would go nice in a e39  

On 9/9/2021 at 9:10 PM, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

The most common choice and the one that most E39 owners want and go for is the E38 Sport Contours. The main reasons are the adjustability and the lumbar support as well as it all being electrically powered. The headrest is a more comfortable shape too and of course that in most cases it's a physical plug n play swap over. I think there's a difference between pre and face lift models and the plug pin arrangement is slightly different but easily resolved and quite a few topics about it. 

A set of fantastic condition, black E38 Sport Contours came up so I purchased right away as I wanted to see if they're better/good for my lower back pain. Soon after fitting, Covid began to arrive and I've only driven the car perhaps 200 miles since so I don't know if they're going to suit me longer term. If not, I'll sell them on and try other seats. I had the Z3 seats on my shortlist too, I can't quite remember if there's more involved to make them fit and connect up though. I may go with an aftermarket seat too and I have one more project type possibility that I could go for depending on how much it'll cost to do as I'm thinking !

I think a few people have managed to squeeze in E60 Sport seats into an E39, but I vaguely recall there at least some work needed to get them to fit/work properly. 

Cheers, Dennis!

I am after a set of black E38 sport contours so if you sell please let me know :)