PJAY

Puffing black smoke

I've noticed over the last 3 or 4 weeks, that there's  black smoke from the exhaust in certain conditions.  It appears only   ( and even then, not very time )  when  accelerating AFTER a brief lift of the pedal. 

It's not speed related,  as i've witnessed this at low and high speeds.  Its also nothing to do with hard acceleration, because i tested this.  I have to be driving, speed doesnt matter, and just have to back off the throttle and then throttle back on.  This is when the smoke appears for about 3 seconds.   Its not engine probs.  Only done 3,000 , or turbo, also rebuilt 3,000 miles ago.

Of course, it will be going to my local  grease chimp, who i have spoken to.  Until he does the tests, his first guess was some filter or other, i forget which one, and possibly  an injector problem.   He also asked if i use a cleaner when filling up, which in fact i do.  He said sometimes they can cause more problems than they solve.  I wouldnt know.

Does anyone else have any other options that it might be. ?  I have no dash warning lights

I asked him if it was ok to drive the car like this and he said it'll be ok till the 28th Sep, when the car goes in

Is it a solid black smoke cloud that appears? If so, it sounds like its over fuelling and is burning it off. Has your MPG dropped, does the engine feel different (more or less responsive?) Have you used different additives or fuel station to normal?

16 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

Is it a solid black smoke cloud that appears? If so, it sounds like its over fuelling and is burning it off. Has your MPG dropped, does the engine feel different (more or less responsive?) Have you used different additives or fuel station to normal?

Its quite solid,  i reckon.  Not noticed MPG dropping, engine doesnt feel different.  Drives as good as ever and i have not mixed cleaners.  I only used the one make of cleaner.     As for diesel,  i use whatever station i need to at the time

On 9/3/2021 at 10:21 PM, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Blocked / stuck EGR or the dpf blocking

+1 and also check your air filter. I had a similar issue on my 2004 530d M57, and my air intake and filter were in a poor state.

The air filter was changed when the new engine was fitted about 3000 miles ago.

On 06/09/2021 at 13:23, PJAY said:

The air filter was changed when the new engine was fitted about 3000 miles ago.

We're going to need a lot more information before we can begin to diagnose the problem:

How 'new' is the new engine - brand new or rebuilt, rebuilt top end, bottom end or both, same for turbo?

Do you have DPF & EGR still in place or removed?

Any mods - remaps or anything else?

Is this the 520D in your details?

What year & mileage?

Complete engine ( less ancillaries )  was an exchange unit from Iver Searle,   sourced and fitted by Indy BMW garage. Timing gears were upgraded by Iver Searle from the manky metal original gears.   Turbo rebuilt.  Both Engine and Turbo have now done just over 3000 miles.  Everything else has done 150,000.

DPF / EGR intact.  Previous owner remapped.  No other mods.  Its the 520D in details, and its 2008 LCI

Edited by PJAY

The turbo on my wife's 120d started passing oil from the seals and that resulted in dripping oil into the exhaust. When it was doing a DPF regen if you put your foot down you'd get a plume of black/blue smoke now and then.

Unbeknown to me it was regenning far more frequently than it should have done (because the pressure differential must have told it to) and eventually it indicated that there was an issue. On closer inspection we found the oil from the turbo.

Turbo rebuilt, DPF washed and 12k miles later it's quite happy although it does use a small amount of oil. Total mileage is now 115k.

I've now discovered another problem.  Could be related to the smoke, but i;m no mechanic so i dont know.

The new problem is now the kickdown in Auto seems to not be working on hills.  I was driving around Somerset yesterday and got onto an incline that had an overtaking lane for those driving up the incline.

There was a lorry i thought i'd get past, so throttled up and pulled out and nothing happened. Foot flat to floor and it just stayed at the speed i was doing before i accelerated.  I had to pull back in and let the other divers get past me.

Funnily, when i tried again,  although it did the no kickdown again on an incline, when i backed off the throttle a bit,  it started to accelerate.  But not for long, because i had backed off,  it started to slow, obviously.  Weird

Quite right

It was booked in a week ago for the 28th Sep. for problem No.1    I'll speak to them about the kickdown issue

13 hours ago, PJAY said:

I've now discovered another problem.  Could be related to the smoke, but i;m no mechanic so i dont know.

The new problem is now the kickdown in Auto seems to not be working on hills.  I was driving around Somerset yesterday and got onto an incline that had an overtaking lane for those driving up the incline.

There was a lorry i thought i'd get past, so throttled up and pulled out and nothing happened. Foot flat to floor and it just stayed at the speed i was doing before i accelerated.  I had to pull back in and let the other divers get past me.

Funnily, when i tried again,  although it did the no kickdown again on an incline, when i backed off the throttle a bit,  it started to accelerate.  But not for long, because i had backed off,  it started to slow, obviously.  Weird

Lack of kickdown I can't explain, but the lack of any acceleration at all I have on my 525d occasionally. I believe this is due to the electronic actuator not moving to position. My car has been remapped and DPF deleted however the actual DPF is only partially removed (long story) and it's thought that the car senses an overboost scenario and won't engage the actuator. Once you let off and reapply throttle, in most cases it recovers and accelerates.

No codes are thrown for this and when I get around to gutting the DPF fully I'll know if that solves it.

I suspect you've got oil in your DPF (possibly from a leaking turbo) and it's blocking, causing the same problem.

Now been to my garage and because the engine icon appeared in yellow a few days ago, they threw the diagnostic tool on and found 6  or 7 faults including ECU.  They said take the car home and they will check with 3 companies who test ECU's and see who's still trading.  They need to send it off so need the car for a week or 10 days.

Oh, yeah, they said if it's a duff ECU, dont expect it to be cheap.

Deep joy

On 9/28/2021 at 9:02 AM, PJAY said:

Now been to my garage and because the engine icon appeared in yellow a few days ago, they threw the diagnostic tool on and found 6  or 7 faults including ECU.  They said take the car home and they will check with 3 companies who test ECU's and see who's still trading.  They need to send it off so need the car for a week or 10 days.

Oh, yeah, they said if it's a duff ECU, dont expect it to be cheap.

Deep joy

They are just trying to scare you. If ecu is bad then it can be cloned,then another one from a breaker flashed with your software. Block with E-prom chip usually can be cloned. Need to find a remap company that do it as their equipment is capable of doing it. 

Yes, it's possible they're trying a scare tactic, so now it's booked in with another garage. 

With the garage that did the first check, i saw all the faults on the machine pop up as i stood next to the bloke.  There were about 7 or 8 codes. He said it's unlikely that all those codes would throw up at the same time so possibly an ECU failing.  Hence the ECU sending off for testing.

We'll see what the next garage says.   They cant book me in till the 14th Oct

I ever saw which codes, just that i was close enough to see several pop up,  but not close enough to read what they were

On 10/1/2021 at 2:47 PM, PJAY said:

I ever saw which codes, just that i was close enough to see several pop up,  but not close enough to read what they were

Hi. My advice would be to go somewhere where garage would print out a copy of codes that are present and then pop them here and possibly we can help out then.

Update on this...  car was booked in this morning, and i left it with them.  Mech called me  90 mins later, and although he didnt tell me about the codes  ( i think the ECU throwing up those codes before, was a red herring ), he did say it was just an Intercooler pipe.  BMW part only,  + labour comes to just under £400.    He did do a diagnostic check,  but they were false readings, presumably thrown up because of the IC pipe.

I was expecting the worst, but if this is all it is, i'm happy with their prognosis, and the price.

Sorted.  The part arrived today, and they got stuck in , and i picked up the car at 4.30pm.   The codes, which he gave me on a sheet, were all side effects of the IC pipe.

Car is now back as it was, no smoke, no random acceleration problems.   The diagnostics check, the IC pipe and the labour  totalled £ 399.91 all in.  I'm happy that it wasnt something more serious/expensive

Here's the codes that the faulty IC pipe threw up

codes.jpg