RS_E60

E60 530D LCI Rear Diff / Subframe Damaged

Hi All,

Driving down the road the other day and all of a sudden, a loud bang from the back and the rear wheels have jammed / locked up. 

Anyways got the car home thinking the diff is at fault which it seems to be.. Whatever happened caused the diff to tilt to the left and it's ripped a rear diff mounting from the subframe and no doubt probably damaged the drive shaft on each side also.. So looking at getting the rear re-built. 

I've seen a rear axle complete off a 2009 525D LCI - but the diff ratio according to real OEM is 2.64 for the 525D as opposed to the 2.65 for the 530D. I'm guessing that'll be fine as that's next to no difference? My car has the SAT transmission so not sure if that makes a difference?

The joys :huh:

Edited by RS_E60
grammar etc.

530d diffs were 2.47 pre LCI, both manual or automatic. These also used the big Type 215 diff and the 525d has the smaller Type 188 diff with some cars having a 215 but a different one.

You also have 94 or 86 mm prop flanges where it bolts to the diff and from memory the 525d and 530d props are marginally different in length.

In short; get the correct bits! pre LCI 530d stuff isn't hard to find and it's cheap enough now. I've never heard of a diff going bang - extraordinary. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

530d diffs were 2.47 pre LCI, both manual or automatic. These also used the big Type 215 diff and the 525d has the smaller Type 188 diff with some cars having a 215 but a different one.

You also have 94 or 86 mm prop flanges where it bolts to the diff and from memory the 525d and 530d props are marginally different in length.

In short; get the correct bits! pre LCI 530d stuff isn't hard to find and it's cheap enough now. I've never heard of a diff going bang - extraordinary. 

Hi mate, 

Was referring to LCI parts bud. 

I've managed to find someone breaking an LCI 530D E61 (2009) with the complete rear axle just down the road. Diff and driveshafts etc included and its a 2.65, I'm guessing the diff will be the same, with the main difference difference being swapping the shocks bit over from the airbags. 

Just siezed and went bang - but guessing the drive shafts now being at different angles could also be a cause of the locking up with the diff subframe mounting failing.