mpgscott

New squeak any thoughts

Got this squeak just started anyone any ideas what it might be?

Was reading it could be rear ball joint saw this but looks dodgy, top video shows potential solution bottom shows what mines doing at the moment.

Edited by mpgscott

Think I will swap the ball joints, I’ve got a kidder do this might be the cause.  Will get it all aligned after swapping 

Yes, item 2 that carries item 5 is commonly known as the 'Rose' joint or some refer to it as the 'rear lower ball joint'. I had the same issue on the E39, when they start to squeak it makes the rear end sound like an old bed. To further confirm, you may also notice movement in that joint if you jack the wheel off the ground and push with your foot on the low part off the rim, the bottom of the wheel may move in/out 20mm or so. Will likely effect the rear tracking stability which may cause uneven rear tyre wear and contribute to the rear axle scating or breaking away when going around a roundabout. Was particularly noticeable when the road surface was bumpy or wet (as you'd expect traction to break more readily anyway). The bush in a tube (item 2) can be a beitch to remove, even with a puller tool (which is essential).

Edited by DarkHorse

1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

Yes, item 2 that carries item 5 is commonly known as the 'Rose' joint or some refer to it as the 'rear lower ball joint'. I had the same issue on the E39, when they start to squeak it makes the rear end sound like an old bed. To further confirm, you may also notice movement in that joint if you jack the wheel off the ground and push with your foot on the low part off the rim, the bottom of the wheel may move in/out 20mm or so. Will likely effect the rear tracking stability which may cause uneven rear tyre wear and contribute to the rear axle scating or breaking away when going around a roundabout. Was particularly noticeable when the road surface was bumpy or wet (as you'd expect traction to break more readily anyway). The bush in a tube (item 2) can be a beitch to remove, even with a puller tool (which is essential).

Many thanks, i am getting a vibration around 55mph through to about 70 hoping this is causing it.  Also on getting the car in the air one of the driveshafts has failed plus my other bearings are not looking too hot..

Here we go again more expense thats why we love them... 

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-01 at 17.50.12 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-01 at 17.50.49.jpeg

1 hour ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

This is the old low mileage car that's sat around for lengths of time scenario :rolleyes:

Mines done 156k but looks much younger than yours underneath ;)

Ha ha, I think it’s Scottish salty roads to be honest..

On 9/2/2021 at 9:31 AM, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Yeah but not being used is a classic premature rubber pat failure issue.

I can’t complain for the age and mileage, poor car has covered more miles in last five months that it has in last five years.

Still 16yrs and coming up for 120k it’s pretty good.