dsgrnmcm

Possible 2017 540i Touring, 106k too high a milage....

A 540i sold in the US will have much more frequent oil changes specified. Exactly the same engine.

In the UK it's all about the first owner (either private or lease company) having the lowest possible cost of ownership and therefore monthly payments

All the problems are stored up for the second or third owner down the line.

10 hours ago, pt530i said:

In the UK it's all about the first owner (either private or lease company) having the lowest possible cost of ownership and therefore monthly payments

All the problems are stored up for the second or third owner down the line.

I don’t disagree with the cost of ownership point.

However I think the views on oil service interval are pretty unsupported especially on high milers which will likely run with very little condensation. If you glance through the F series forum you’ll see very few oil-related engine problems and I’d risk a guess that most people don’t go for 10k changes. But it’s all down to the individual of course - I’m a low miler so 2 years is well under 10k for me anyway. ;) I stick with my view that on a 100k car it’s not principally the engine you need to consider.

Edited by Boba

Americans are neurotic about oil changes but even they are coming around to fully synthetic oil..  Fully synthetic is man made oil for lubrication,  it does not carry additional compounds that are the cause of sludging..  Its a similar in idea to efuels,  what Porsche was talking about   

Frequent oil changes were one way of inspecting a car , getting it up on a ramp etc.. Its understandable that going two years without a cursory inspection is a cause of concern

But we now have sensors that keep track of most things - like low tyre pressure etc 

7 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

Americans are neurotic about oil changes but even they are coming around to fully synthetic oil..  Fully synthetic is man made oil for lubrication,  it does not carry additional compounds that are the cause of sludging..  Its a similar in idea to efuels,  what Porsche was talking about   

Frequent oil changes were one way of inspecting a car , getting it up on a ramp etc.. Its understandable that going two years without a cursory inspection is a cause of concern

But we now have sensors that keep track of most things - like low tyre pressure etc 

Unfortunately most fully synthetic oils are not 100 man made like you say,most oils are made using sludging and i read a lot about it. 

I this country we dont see many oil related issues with engines because we live in quite a soft climate,so no extreme temperature changes,like -20C degrees starts where oil is thick and you want it to be as fresh as possible.

Anyway,i think that oil change needs to be done at 6-7k if car is in town traffic most of time and 10k miles if it more motorway driving. New engines run hot and that degrades oil faster,plus start stop system is not helping too,but everyone has right to do as they want. 

14 hours ago, Boba said:

IIf you glance through the F series forum you’ll see very few oil-related engine problem

There are loads of instances of timing chain problems so I'm not sure that's true

It's not a BMW problem either, other makes, notably VAG, have also had lots of problems with timing chains

Personally I'd say intermediate oil changes are a good investment if you want to keep an engine sweet over the long term

Well each to their own view of course.  The timing chain issue was a design and manufacturing tolerancing failure, not up to the job, nothing to do with oil changes and long since fixed. (Not that BMW are likely to own up to that). As I said earlier point me to the other widespread engine problems with cars which have stuck to only BMW’s service recommendations. Now look instead at the running gear problems on high milers however many oil changes the engine has had.

Edited by Boba

I would check what the AUC warranty covers at that mileage, there maybe exceptions, also if you plan to keep the car purchasing the extended warranty will be more costly due to mileage. Personally, I would not consider it due to high mileage.

R