dsgrnmcm

Possible 2017 540i Touring, 106k too high a milage....

Morning all,

So I'm looking to return to the fold. I've been running a E86 Z4M (for weekends) and a Mk6.5 GTD (for work) I sold the F11 520d as it was too big for my work car park and London, for me.

I've been looking at A6 BiTdi, or the A7 variant. Then I had a blast in my neighbours 140i and was blown away. My quest for  340i is pretty hard, the I saw the 540i and the 5 series bug is back, and it be back in plymouth. 

I have found a 2017 540i, with the spec I want, Full BWM SH, but it has 106k on the clock. Is this too high for a £24k purchase? 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts 

Edited by dsgrnmcm
Missed date

Its done 25k/yr so you have to assume that's mostly motorway i'd say.

If your miles will be lowish and you keep it a while then it will be average before to long.

I wouldn't rule it out depending on what the history/ condition is like.

Morning all,

That's true Man Math skills!

Yeah, I'll just be driving around town for work, so no long commutes then away on holiday.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

As above, I’d be more interested in the type of miles than the quantity. It’s always hard to prove, but I’d take a car that has done 100k motorway miles over a car with 50k city miles. Motorway mileage is about as easy for the car as it gets. 

Otherwise, dig into service and MOT history and if everything has been done by the book, it should be fine. This history should hopefully show how many miles it has done each year, giving a good indication of use. 

41 minutes ago, RobM said:

As above, I’d be more interested in the type of miles than the quantity. It’s always hard to prove, but I’d take a car that has done 100k motorway miles over a car with 50k city miles. Motorway mileage is about as easy for the car as it gets. 

Otherwise, dig into service and MOT history and if everything has been done by the book, it should be fine. This history should hopefully show how many miles it has done each year, giving a good indication of use. 

Totally agree.

Even if its motorway miles, at 100k plus there are additional service points that need to be done. These aren't necessarily included in the service schedule

like change the auto transmission fluid, plus xdrive transfer box

Long gone are the days that 100k miles is scary, I popped 137k on my F10 in just over 4 years, mostly A roads, and it never once missed a beat, apart from normal servicing that’s all I done, gearbox oil never changed and it still changed as smoothly as my brand new G30. 

21 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

Long gone are the days that 100k miles is scary, I popped 137k on my F10 in just over 4 years, mostly A roads, and it never once missed a beat, apart from normal servicing that’s all I done, gearbox oil never changed and it still changed as smoothly as my brand new G30. 

That’s true in that the drive train can do it easily enough. The running gear, suspension, brakes, bearings, will have accumulated a bit of wear. The bodywork will have accumulated a few stone chips or worse. The upholstery will have 100k of someone’s backside parked on it. So like any car of that mileage you need to get it inspected as best you can and pencil in some spend on those items. It’d be great to get a BMW MOT guy to go over it but assuming you can’t then you need a decent test drive not 10 minutes and over some poor bendy roads and get any faults read afterwards. All the same I don’t think £24k is bad in the current climate assuming no fault in the above. I assume it’s AUC with a year warranty?

Edited by Boba

ZF recommend changing transmission fluid for the 8HP at 150,000 kms. It should be running smoothly, once the oil oxidises it would be difficult to flush

Its a guideline - Of course there are many factors that influence lifetime, so a relatively low powered car driven carefully would last longer 

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/master-content/zf-services-portal/oils-data-sheets/pc-1/lifeguardfluid-8/pds-zf-lifeguardfluid-8-it.pdf

1 hour ago, Boba said:

That’s true in that the drive train can do it easily enough. The running gear, suspension, brakes, bearings, will have accumulated a bit of wear. The bodywork will have accumulated a few stone chips or worse. The upholstery will have 100k of someone’s backside parked on it. So like any car of that mileage you need to get it inspected as best you can and pencil in some spend on those items. It’d be great to get a BMW MOT guy to go over it but assuming you can’t then you need a decent test drive not 10 minutes and over some poor bendy roads and get any faults read afterwards. All the same I don’t think £24k is bad in the current climate assuming no fault in the above. I assume it’s AUC with a year warranty?

262CCE32-8E89-4E8E-A21C-E71082AF938D.png

Edited by Jonny2400

That mileage would be way too high for me to spend over £20k on

It might well be perfectly OK now but depending on your use it might be approaching serious outlay in a couple of years time. Full service history is good but extended service intervals might mean it's only had 4 or 5 oil changes in it's life - by buying a much lower mileage example at least you can start with a decent maintenance schedule sooner in its lifespan

I'd think it would always be a hard sell to move it on.

Personally I'd look for something lower mileage that would give me peace of mind

If it was £15k maybe, but just too much of a risk for me

But ETTO

So just having another gander, the service history seems pretty godd, a lot of work done (due to condition / distance based servicing?)

1. 5/7/17       6m
  2. 2/8/18       19k
  3. 3/4/19       38k
  4. 18/12/19   58k
  5. 1/5/20        68k
  6. 29/6/20      73k
  7. 7/9/20       79k
  8. 9/7/21     100ks

Its a £25k car, so a pretty big purcha for me, more practical than the E86, this price range is 340i territory, but the 5 series is just a nicer place to be.    

Hmmmm, luckaly I'll have to wait till the Z4M sells, in which case this may be gone, which leave me the A7 / A6 Avant BiTdi debate...

Had an A7 last year and loved it... 

Apart from the gearbox, quality of the cameras, quality of the mmi screen and a few other niggles that put me back in a bmw. Mine was only a 272 but a friend is on his second bitdi A6 avant and loves them. 

I am in the "its too high a mileage for me" camp. However, whilst I know, depending on how they have been driven and maintained, cars with high mileages over short time periods can feel almost as good as new, my biggest concern would be the current high prices for secondhand vehicles. When the chip shortage is over, there might be a significant price correction on values and you may find that a vehicle with that mileage may depreciate heavily at that time.

Hi. I am too thinking of swapping my f10 535d for 540i g30,but i would be looling for cars with less miles. Also that service history shows that it was serviced every 19k miles and that is not very good. Oil needs to be done at least twice as often. Maybe owner did do ot in between visits to main dealer.

41 minutes ago, Yuri84 said:

it was serviced every 19k miles and that is not very good.

........ but in line with condition based servicing as recommended by BMW? Having said that, the last 3 entries seem at odds??

1 hour ago, Yuri84 said:

Hi. I am too thinking of swapping my f10 535d for 540i g30,but i would be looling for cars with less miles. Also that service history shows that it was serviced every 19k miles and that is not very good. Oil needs to be done at least twice as often. Maybe owner did do ot in between visits to main dealer.

maybe the owner ran on premium fuels which would help control oil deterioration .. Cleaner combustion , "enhanced cleaning power "  :)

I know its alot higher mileage, but dont think it should be 8k less than the next 540i on autotrader, i assume something else is up thats not shown in the ads. Service history looks too stretched for a petrol also IMO

You’d not find many, probably none at all, that have been on PCP where they’ve been serviced other than to the BMW schedule and that accounts for the larger share of used 5s on sale. Not many reports on here of related problems though so IMHO it’s very debatable whether more frequent oil changing helps. Everyone remembers the old timing chain issue long gone now. It’s not engine problems you need to be uptight about as I said earlier, just read this forum a bit, 100k for a 540 engine is nothing.

Unfortunately most of them are on streched oil service. I would buy one as AUC with 12 month warranty hoping that most if any problem would pop out within that time.

On the other hand it probably been sitting on motorway quite a bit and that helps to keep oil good for longer. Its a tricky one. Personally i had couple cars with high mileage and never had any issues so not spooked by it.

But its fully synthetic engine oil..   Fully synthetic oil doesnt degrade..

It retains its multi-grade qualities while more conventional oils tend to become single grade after a while

Plus I'm sure they know what they are doing :huh:

14 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

But its fully synthetic engine oil..   Fully synthetic oil doesnt degrade..

It retains its multi-grade qualities while more conventional oils tend to become single grade after a while

Plus I'm sure they know what they are doing :huh:

It degrades buddy. Maybe there is slight difference in how fast it derades,but still 19k is to much.

I bet they know what they are doing. All this long life noncence is there for the first owner of the car. Because usually people calculate how much they will spend on servicing their car and so 2year or 19k miles seems quite good,meaning that in a usual 4 year pcp term car will have only 2 services which sounds nice when car has full warranty.

Its only my opinion though.