AdamB

Softening leather

I noticed a few “finger prints” in the backrest portion of my passenger and driver seats yesterday.

when I ran my hand/fingers over them I realised how hard the leather felt.

i hadn’t noticed this before, nor did I on my previous e39… although that had grey leather and a comfort/climate windscreen.

my new car has black leather and an unfiltered windscreen - a lot more susceptible to the effects of the sun.

I think I urgently need to get some life/moisture back into the leather.

I might as well take the chance to properly clean and condition them, as the colour is still decent in my opinion and there’s not any splits/cracks yet.

The seat bases are much more supple than the backs which is why I think it’s the sun/uv which has cooked the upper sections.

im still going to pursue a proper climate windscreen when I finally do my respray.

ive been told they were never fitted to tourings due to location of the gps antenna, but to be honest if I end up going aftermarket audio at some point this won’t be as much of an issue anyway. (Or I can re-locate the antenna if I stay oem) - plus I never use the factory nav anyway.

So, back on topic, what brands/kits do people recommmend for a clean and re-condition? (Not looking to re-colour yet).

Fortunately for you, most serious and good leather conditioning suppliers are from the UK. colourlock comes to mind, but I had another from there and it all were marvelous regarding products, instructions and all.

5 hours ago, AdamB said:

I noticed a few “finger prints” in the backrest portion of my passenger and driver seats yesterday.

when I ran my hand/fingers over them I realised how hard the leather felt.

i hadn’t noticed this before, nor did I on my previous e39… although that had grey leather and a comfort/climate windscreen.

my new car has black leather and an unfiltered windscreen - a lot more susceptible to the effects of the sun.

I think I urgently need to get some life/moisture back into the leather.

I might as well take the chance to properly clean and condition them, as the colour is still decent in my opinion and there’s not any splits/cracks yet.

The seat bases are much more supple than the backs which is why I think it’s the sun/uv which has cooked the upper sections.

im still going to pursue a proper climate windscreen when I finally do my respray.

ive been told they were never fitted to tourings due to location of the gps antenna, but to be honest if I end up going aftermarket audio at some point this won’t be as much of an issue anyway. (Or I can re-locate the antenna if I stay oem) - plus I never use the factory nav anyway.

So, back on topic, what brands/kits do people recommmend for a clean and re-condition? (Not looking to re-colour yet).

I found a gentle scrubbing with warm water and a gentle soap (Pears etc) got a lot of grime out of previous leather interiors; followed by a dedicated leather cleaner & then leather conditioner (Meguiars, Autoglym etc)

It's a case of once you start it; keep on top ideally and it should get some life back into it...

On 27/08/2021 at 21:10, jicaino said:

Fortunately for you, most serious and good leather conditioning suppliers are from the UK. colourlock comes to mind, but I had another from there and it all were marvelous regarding products, instructions and all.

Colourlock is a German company with local presence in UK and many other EU countries. Their stuff is indeed excellent. 

https://www.colourlock.com/about-us

1 hour ago, dmarkovina1 said:

Colourlock is a German company with local presence in UK and many other EU countries. Their stuff is indeed excellent. 

https://www.colourlock.com/about-us

Yes, poor phrasing on my end. Colourlock is lederzentrum. What I meant is that I had them at my fingertips, but there's other UK companies (and as you state, lederzentrum has UK and US presence)

We have coated leather and PU in out cars. E34s had mainline leather