Sign in to follow this  
db9

95 530iT M60 cooling system refresh

We have a 95 (04/95 build) 530iT (so M60b30 automatic) with 100k KM on the clock. Small coolant leak high up on the rad (drivers side - LH drive) not sure yet where from yet as the car is owned and driven by my son and is located remote to me - will be doing pressure test.

We had planned to do a cooling system refresh anyway and this will probably just quicken the process. Starting to look at parts to do cooling system refresh and see a number of different options for water pump (metal impeller) and thermostat housing (Aluminum vs plastic)

1) while I'm in doing hoses etc anything else I should consider?

2) will install new thermostat should the housing be replaced as a matter of precaution? 

3) Since the rad has plastic tanks - again replace as a matter of precaution? (any particular "brand"? - or to avoid?)

I haven't done any work on a M60 as of yet (previous car was a M30 equipped 84 533i) I have quickly searched but haven't found any "guides" on the web yet but I seem to recall that there is "tubes" under the intake that need to be considered - meaning the intake needs to be removed?

Thanks in advance..

Hi db9,

The small coolant leak is most likely  from the attachment point where the upper radiator hose joins. Happened to my 530i, function of age rather than anything else. It's due to the attachment port being ribbed, so thin plastic in the valleys, eventually gives up, in 9ther words a design flaw in the BMW radiator. Don't buy a new BMW one, get a Nissens radiator instead. They have redesigned that port to be stronger. 

Re the rest of the system, get a metal impeller water pump, new thermostat and cover, doesn't really make a difference whether you go for plastic or alu, both will probably outlive the life of the car unless you are keeping it for 100 years, 

Re the coolant tank, they eventually do go, usually at the neck of the filler, I would recommend replacement with the genuine part. The biggest weakness I am aware of in the system is the plastic shield inside the aux pump under the heater valve. That can give way without notice. Would recommend either replacing that or deleting the aux pump. The other main point of failure is the heater valve. Suggest you change the seals inside of there's any sign of leaking. 

Finally, there's a couple of other things.

One involves removing the gearbox, the other the inlet manifold so these are best done if you have to remove Gbox/manifold for other reasons.  

The valley pan gasket can fail but you need to remove the injector rail/manifold to get at it. I had mine done when we were changing the knock sensors and injectors. 

And if you have need to remove the gearbox, there's a panel at the back of the engine, it's shaped like an inverted smile, worth doing that seal when the gearbox is out. 

Dongiov,

Brilliant thank you..

I will start checking things out.

Regarding the Aux Water pump.. any signals or indicators to failure or is a catastrophic fail? What is done to delete?

I need to look at the Bentley manual but to change the water pump (if needed and considering the age may be the smart thing to do) this is best done with the intake removed as the "tubes" under the intake connect to the water pump?

On mine the aux water pump blocked all the heat going to the heater core as the impeller came to pieces. It can also leak.

To remove it just connect the output hose to the watervalve where its input hose is connected. Sounds strange, but if you're doing the work it  will make sense as it only fits one way.

+1 for the water pump with a metal impeller/housing. I believe I used an the water pump for the e31 850 when I did mine years ago.

It’s worth doing a full hose refresh and CAtuned have a silicone set for a reasonable price:

https://catuned.com/catuned-cooling-hose-kit-catuned-lifetime-warranty

When removing the coolant tank, it may also make sense to tackle the PCV valve and Fuel pressure regulator/related hoses.

You can replace the aux water pump fairly cheap. I rebuilt my heater valve as well when I replaced my aux water pump - details here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2366608-Heater-Valve-internals-Info

If you really want to look at replacing the radiator due to its plastic components- you can use an E36 ///M3 aftermarket radiator that is all aluminum. You would also need a few mounting bits as well. 

Good luck! 

~JT

Thank you all,

Some parts are on order - with the radiator & hoses first to be done as driving season is coming to an end - the leak is between the core and the plastic end tank at the very top - once the weather sets in the winter project will commence.

Thanks..

~S