SidMac

E39 (JapImport) OEM Navigation unit

Hello folks.

I run a 2003 e39 525i which originated in Japan before imported to Ireland a decade ago. I previously introduced it/me on this forum and was welcomed by members (some of which also run/ran Jap imports). 

It has a dvd navigation system hardware (dvd unit in the boot with cabling running to that passenger side compartment in the boot that houses sound/ent equip). On the screen of the headunit, however, I do not see the 'GPS Navigation ' option listed - cd/radio/computer are listed and function correctly. I run a Grom BT3 unit linked to stream content from my phone - which Dan kindly suggested to me last year. 

I got my hands on latest suitable dvd set of maps for this model - but, as I now realise, I get no prompts or acknowledgement when I load the disc(s). So, what / where should I check to determine what the issue may be? Is there something obvious to you (but not me) that I am missing. Full disclosure - there is a gap in my knowledge of this - but I respond well to guidance .

I have a pdf of the BMW Owners manual for Onboard Computer - but as I say, the 'Navigation' menu option does not appear on the headunit screen...

Thanks in advance

Sid

Edited by SidMac

The nav, unfortunately, will only work in Japan. It runs on difference frequencies and there's no way of making it work in the UK

There is another module connected into the system too; which on a touring is in the rear load space, under one of the side covers. Not sure where that is in a saloon sorry

But either way; it's no-go

You could look top retrofit the IV Nav system from a UK car; but it'd be a lot of work and a lot of £££ for a still outdated nav; when you can either go for an aftermarket head unit or stick with the likes of Google Maps, Waze, CoPilot etc on your mobile ;) 

19 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

The nav, unfortunately, will only work in Japan. It runs on difference frequencies and there's no way of making it work in the UK

There is another module connected into the system too; which on a touring is in the rear load space, under one of the side covers. Not sure where that is in a saloon sorry

But either way; it's no-go

You could look top retrofit the IV Nav system from a UK car; but it'd be a lot of work and a lot of £££ for a still outdated nav; when you can either go for an aftermarket head unit or stick with the likes of Google Maps, Waze, CoPilot etc on your mobile ;) 

Thanks @d_a_n1979 - pity though. Ah well, there's lots of easier and cheaper ways to navigate! 

I did take a read through the thread by @DennisCooper about suitable unit for e39, - which look great and appear to have excellent functionality. I'll park that for the moment though, as there are other items to pay for right now ;-)

Collecting my e39 this morning having had the instrument panel pixel issue corrected - the relief ;-)

Hi Sidmac,

Over the years, those handful of Japanese spec E39's imported into the UK and their owners have found the above where the GPS doesn't work outside of Japan. There's been various attempts at reprogramming and changing things up to 'make' it work and I think one such route was successful, but given what it all needed and I think that the person who did it then didn't post up on forums anymore meant that route faded away. 

For owners who must keep the OEM GPS/Satnav/audio setup then I think it needs a change of all modules and compounding things, it's specific aspects that also need to be taken into consideration, doable of course, but value for money and effort doesn't make it so worthwhile.

Alternatives are to fit a chinese replacement type head unit or fit a high quality respected car audio brand head unit. I will always recommend the latter and why I developed and manufacture the OEM look fascia/fitting kit for those. If you decide to go with a Chinese replacement, I wish you good luck that it works/lasts/performs well longer term for you.

Have you got a build thread for your car and the plans you have for it?!

Cheers, Dennis! 

Hi Dennis, 

thanks for that guidance. I do like the offering you developed, as opposed to the oriental options, so it has been added to the wish list - for future reference.

I was posting some early info here - 

but ran into complications uploading data - but,  I've started a build thread now, thanks for the prompt ...

Hi sidmac,

I could be the person Dennis is referring to as I converted my Jap import E39 to uk sat nav several years ago. It’s not too hard to do and could be fairly cheap if you take your time sourcing used parts. Obviously,it’s not going to be as good (or maybe reliable) as the latest touchscreen stuff but it still works okay,

I presume you have the unit that hangs under the parcel shelf?

I did have a thread on this forum for the conversion , I’ll try and find it and post a link .

Here you go, hope it helps