Ollie Campbell

Standard tyre sizes

Hi everyone,

Possibly an over mentioned subject in this forum, but I've searched and can't seem to find the right answer. What is the standard tyre size for an E61 530d MSport?

I'm not in front of the car right now to confirm but think I have 245/40ZR18 front and back. To my eye, the rear tyres look stretched on the alloys. This is what's on there, albeit 18" not 19": https://www.auto-treff.com/wcf/index.php?article/179-styling-166/

What's correct OEM fitment?

Edited by Ollie Campbell

11 minutes ago, Ollie Campbell said:

Hi everyone,

Possibly an over mentioned subject in this forum, but I've searched and can't seem to find the right answer. What is the standard tyre size for an E61 530d MSport?

I'm not in front of the car right now, but apart from being different tyres on each axle, I have a feeling that the front and back are the same. Plus the rear tyres look stretched at the moment. This is the alloy that is on there: https://www.auto-treff.com/wcf/index.php?article/179-styling-166/ and it suggests that the fronts should be 255/40R19 and the rears 275/35R19, although it does say M5 Touring.

If you've got the Style 166 alloys and they're the staggered set; then yes, they should be 275s on the rear (or 285s if you want) and 255s up front. They'd be the M5 sizes

For your 530D, 245s and 275s would be absolutely fine and be factory sizes (255s and 285s) would give you a straighter sidewall and better rim protection, so it's down to personal choice

If the rears are 9.5" wide and have 255s; they're stretched & the wrong tyres

Edited by d_a_n1979

Ok I'll have to get out with a mirror on a stick/tape measure and see if the rears are wider. Looking at the tyres I think they are, but I'll confirm to be sure.

I guess having 245's on the back is the reason that the traction control light is on more than it should be :D

Edited by Ollie Campbell

24 minutes ago, Ollie Campbell said:

Ok I'll have to get out with a mirror on a stick/tape measure and see if the rears are wider. Looking at the tyres I think they are, but I'll confirm to be sure.

I guess having 245's on the back is the reason that the traction control light is on more than it should be :D

Really you could do to take the alloy off and look at the markings on the rear to confirm which wheel is fitted; but it does sound like you've got the staggered set, but with the wroing sized tyres on the rears

Have you bought the car like this; or have you had the tyres fitted and not seen that the wrong sizes were selected?

7 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Really you could do to take the alloy off and look at the markings on the rear to confirm which wheel is fitted; but it does sound like you've got the staggered set, but with the wroing sized tyres on the rears

Have you bought the car like this; or have you had the tyres fitted and not seen that the wrong sizes were selected?

Sorry that's what I meant by the mirror on the stick :)

I bought it like this, somehow I didn't notice it, but did note the fact that the tyres are knackered so had planned to replace them anyway.

6 minutes ago, Ollie Campbell said:

Sorry that's what I meant by the mirror on the stick :)

I bought it like this, somehow I didn't notice it, but did note the fact that the tyres are knackered so had planned to replace them anyway.

Ah fair enough; you'll soon see what's going on :) 

No E61s came from the factory with staggered setups, bar the M5. The wheels should be the same size and ET on each corner.

245/40/18 is the standard size all round.

7 hours ago, roi354 said:

No E61s came from the factory with staggered setups, bar the M5. The wheels should be the same size and ET on each corner.

245/40/18 is the standard size all round.

They may have been fitted at am later date, like a lot of BMW owners do...

The op hasn't stated he's had the car from factory nor if he's fitted the alloys himself etc

On 26/08/2021 at 20:36, d_a_n1979 said:

They may have been fitted at am later date, like a lot of BMW owners do...

The op hasn't stated he's had the car from factory nor if he's fitted the alloys himself etc

That's very true, but the title of this thread is 'standard tyre sizes' so I'm just letting him know what standard tyres sizes should be on his car.

Thanks everyone. I've not fitted different alloys and the ones currently fitted are the same as the ones originally fitted when it was owned by the fire brigade (photo of the actual car):

17981.jpg

They could of course have been changed at some point and I'll find out the specifics on the back of the alloys hopefully this week.

On 8/25/2021 at 10:09 AM, Ollie Campbell said:

Hi everyone,

I'm not in front of the car right now to confirm but think I have 245/40ZR18 front and back. To my eye, the rear tyres look stretched on the alloys. This is what's on there, albeit 18" not 19": https://www.auto-treff.com/wcf/index.php?article/179-styling-166/

I've got 235/40/18's on at the moment.

Different tyre's have slightly different looks.

IMG_20200505_193638330.jpg

IMG_20200817_202043247.jpg

IMG_20200628_154400439_HDR.jpg