khanny

Oil presure low

So I've just changed the engine in my 2008 535d for a second hand engine all was running OK but saw the tempreture was running at 71c so I changed the theemostate(no egr).

It now runs at 90c but if I leave it ticking over it goes to 97c before fan kicks in but it kicks in slow drops maybe 2c then starts to climb again.

But when it's hot I get low oil presure at idle touch accelerator slightly goes off, now I've changed the presure switch raise the tick over in ista done a engine flush and put 5w 40 oil in instead of 5w 30 but still low oil presure only when hot, no weird noises runs great just at a lose now.

If I remember right from my old engine fan should be really spinning up at 97c that you can hear it in the car?

Done a fan test with ista a spun up really fast.

Any help would be great was supposed to go for a tune on rolling Road Friday but not with that coming on

Edited by khanny

17 hours ago, khanny said:

So I've just changed the engine in my 2008 535d for a second hand engine all was running OK but saw the tempreture was running at 71c so I changed the theemostate(no egr).

It now runs at 90c but if I leave it ticking over it goes to 97c before fan kicks in but it kicks in slow drops maybe 2c then starts to climb again.

But when it's hot I get low oil presure at idle touch accelerator slightly goes off, now I've changed the presure switch raise the tick over in ista done a engine flush and put 5w 40 oil in instead of 5w 30 but still low oil presure only when hot, no weird noises runs great just at a lose now.

If I remember right from my old engine fan should be really spinning up at 97c that you can hear it in the car?

Done a fan test with ista a spun up really fast.

Any help would be great was supposed to go for a tune on rolling Road Friday but not with that coming on

Hi. 97 is ok. My mates x5 with 35d m57n2 engine gets that hot too.

As to low preassure warning you have to be careful with that buddy. Try and measeure it using gauge and that will tell you exact figure.

Was it a recon engine or from breaker car? Poss worn oil pump. But you need to read preassure numbers with the gauge first. Do it when cold and hot,poss check what it reads when warning comes up. I think that its possible to do oil pump with engine in the car.

Injector seals good? Any dameged kinked oil feed pipes(cannor rememeber if there are any on the ouside of the engine block).

Hope you can get it sorted

Hi cheers for reply Yuri is there a app that does that I can't find it on ista or carly or some sort of gauge I can buy? Second hand engine , I've just took it for a good drive and temp never got above 91 and no oil presure light it just seems to be if its stood and gets upto that temp very strange, could injector seals cause low oil prsure?

Edited by khanny

I have heard about poorly fitted oil filters and worn O-rings on the filter housing that can cause low oil pressure problems on the diesel lumps.

Well, I recently learnt something new about the diesel motors that may be worth considering.

Apparently: The High Pressure Fuel Pump can blow the axle seal and leak fuel into the sump via the timing chain cover.

It dosnt seem to be getting desiel in the oil as it hasn't raised at all could a bad oil sender cause problems because it said I had 85% when I changed oil then 85% after even when I added more, I presumed this worked because first time it came up with low oil presure I added more and it sid over filled on idrive. It's been fine all day but not really been stood in traffic or had it ticking over much stayed between 87 and 91 c

16 hours ago, khanny said:

Hi cheers for reply Yuri is there a app that does that I can't find it on ista or carly or some sort of gauge I can buy? Second hand engine , I've just took it for a good drive and temp never got above 91 and no oil presure light it just seems to be if its stood and gets upto that temp very strange, could injector seals cause low oil prsure?

Hi. You need oil preassure gauge screwed instead of oil pressure switch. Have a look on youtube and you will understand what i mean right away.

About injector seals. It can,but in the long term and i think you would hear or saw that something is no ok.

I dont think that 97 degree temp should cause oil preassure warning. My e60 and e61 30d used to get up to same temps in traffic and never low preassure warning.

16 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

I have heard about poorly fitted oil filters and worn O-rings on the filter housing that can cause low oil pressure problems on the diesel lumps.

Heard the same and experienced the same problem on my old E39 530d.. flickering / sustained oil light on very hot days at idle which went away immediately as soon as I revved the engine. Someone said about replacing the all the O rings on the oil filter housing which I did and the problem didn't come back so... may well be worth doing.

Hi guys thanks for replies I changed the big oil filter housing o ring but not the little 1 as u dint get that in the filter kit, 2 days I've been driving this round now and nothing it really is jut when I leave it ticking over its like the fans not spinning up fast enough when hot the oil temp does not go down as the temp goes 97 ti 95 then back up, think I'm going to look at the temp sensor or the resistors the fan

Actually I have to take that back. Mahle OX177/3D has those small o-rings on filter housing cap center part (I checked the box on my shelf). I was remembering the Mahle filter for older M57 engine (OX156D). 

6 hours ago, Clavurion said:

Mahle original OX177/3D has only the large o-ring for filter cap and copper/aluminium washer for oil plug. I've used these same parts for many years.

I have bought from this seller for years and each and every one has the 3, in fact this is a brand new one sat on the shelf I just grabbed, I think the orange box ones only have the single o ring though?

*edit, just seen your reply :)

6m40nSEh.jpg

Edited by GoNz0

23 minutes ago, khanny said:

OK sound thanks guys il get 1 ordered

I hope it fixes it for you, a mate like a dipstick put stop leak in his and caused this same fault, I got him to put a couple of cans of flush in and that and an oil change with this filter has so far done the job.

Cheers pal i chucked a couple cans of flush in before i changed the oil weight and made a lot of diffrence to how the car runs so much smoother and quieter ye hope this seal works 7 years of pain this car but can't bring myself to get rid.

Pic of the piston from last engine

20210815_002155.jpg

20210815_002214.jpg

20210815_002208.jpg

37 minutes ago, khanny said:

Cheers pal i chucked a couple cans of flush in before i changed the oil weight and made a lot of diffrence to how the car runs so much smoother and quieter ye hope this seal works 7 years of pain this car but can't bring myself to get rid.

Pic of the piston from last engine

20210815_002208.jpg

Bad map or failed injector?

Maybe:

Oil pressure at idle speed with engine at operating temperature min 1.3 bar

Control pressure with engine at operating temperature 4.0...6.0 bar

https://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/5_series_e60/535d_m57t2_sal/3_technical_data/11__engine_(m57t2)/41__oil_pump_with_filter_and_drive/1_td__oil_pump_with_strainer_and_drive_m57t2___d25/