Sign in to follow this  
Gte86

530i cats

The number of cats going missing around where I live is ridiculous. 

My 530i still has its original cats and the flanges are almost non existent. 

Do these cars struggle with a decat, ie lambda not liking the unchanged readings. 

I'm debating removing the cats completely or taking mine off and fitting a cheaper aftermarket. 

What are peoples thought on aftermarket cats? 

Ideally I'd like to change the exhaust for something more fruity but the local place seems to give extortionate prices 

1 minute ago, Gte86 said:

The number of cats going missing around where I live is ridiculous. 

My 530i still has its original cats and the flanges are almost non existent. 

Do these cars struggle with a decat, ie lambda not liking the unchanged readings. 

I'm debating removing the cats completely or taking mine off and fitting a cheaper aftermarket. 

What are peoples thought on aftermarket cats? 

Ideally I'd like to change the exhaust for something more fruity but the local place seems to give extortionate prices 

Personally if I were to change cats; I'd go for 200CEL sports cats and get them welded into the system.

Wonder if there's a cage or similar that you could have welded around it to protect them; I know they do them for the likes of Honda Jazz cars and similar as they seem to be the ones most aimed etc

They did a merc with the cats in a similar position outside my work a couple weeks ago. Came at midnight and didn't care when the alarm started going off. 8 minutes and they have got a tidy profit 

20210803_145948.jpg

Milton keynes. 

We have had 5 cats go from cars which have been in the car park in the last 3 months or so. 

53 minutes ago, Gte86 said:

Milton keynes. 

We have had 5 cats go from cars which have been in the car park in the last 3 months or so. 

That's quite far away from where I live. But I'm going near there on Friday, but it will be with work car, so not too bother even if something happens. 

Catalytic converter thieving used to be quite bad around London, probably still is. Hopefully someone of them scumm bags will get car landing on his chest. It would be just fair payback.

It seems they aren't interested in diesel cats at all. Even if they are only worth a tenner there is a couple in my yard at work that you could have off in seconds. 

They have taken cats from mk4 golf 1.8t, mk1 tt 3.2, Merc 240e? And a couple of hondas. 

I'm just wondering if it's worth cashing in and selling my valuable cat and decatting with a nice stainless mid and rear with the money from the cats ?

Unless you know for sure that yours are at high risk of being stolen; I'd say leave them in place for now

When I was having my rear box delete done by a Powerflow depot he quoted me £250 per cat replacement with a 200 cel sports cat. It’s a stainless item they use on all their cat replacement jobs whether it be an Aston or a SEAT.

How much are our existing cats worth and who do we sell them to without looking like a tea leaf?

If anyone has a cat lying around and can read the numbers on it there are plenty of people on fb etc who can do an online price. If I was selling my cat I would unbolt both ends and grind my reg into it, clearly not ripped off in a car park that way.  I think the money has to be paid into a bank account if you take it to a scrapyard as well