Sign in to follow this  
tomnewo

Recommended Tyre brands / models for BMW

I'm in the market for a new set of tyres on my F07 530d, In the 12 months of ownership I've very happy with the car with the exception of comfort / ride quality and road noise.

I'm on 275/35 20 rear and 245/40 20 fronts Goodyear RFT's (from 2015), just had 12 months MOT with an advisory for normal (ish) inner wear on the n/s rear tyre and starnge inner wear on the o/s rear which is a pity really because there is plenty of tread and that's the main reason I haven't changed the for non RFT's (hoping nrft's would improve comfort)....I am told that RFT's do wear in starnge ways but has anyone else seen wear like this ?

So I'm looking to replace the tyres with non RFT's and have been reading this thread and noticed that Blackcircles and the like have "recommended" tyres for BMW but I was looking at replacing them with the Falkens which seem to be well regarded........do you guys think that they are suitable fro my car (anybody have them fitted already ?) or should I be looking solely at the recommended tyres ?  I could do without having to mess about with tyres again due to some compatability issues and spending a nice little sum. Thanks ! 

off side starnge inner wear.jpg

near side wear.jpg

Edited by tomnewo
typos

Not a fan of Blackcircles personally; always found their prices a bit OTT

I use Camskill and my FIL did the same when he went with Uniroyal RainSport 5s for his F10; non-RFTs and he's been massively impressed with the ride quality improvement

With Camskill; you get them delivered and then fitted locally for £beertokens ;) 

My go-to tyres are generally Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's, Uniroyal RainSports, Michelin PS4s and the absolute cheapest tyres I'll consider (as I've found them to be very good) are the Nexen N'Fera SU1s

tyrereviews.co.uk is a good website too; but take some of the reviews with a pinch of salt; more so re poor wear rates as the eeijits must be thrashing their cars if tyres are wearing that quickly!

My advice is dont go cheap! Thats it... Premium brand only to enjoy the ride and steering/cornering as it should be.

I have stuck to the ones as mine rolled of the production line with, and have been very happy with them: https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/goodyear/excellence/245/40/R19/Y/98/f?tyre=27709572

I use Blackcircles, never had a problem as I tend to choose local garages that I know to fit them properly.

looking at your tyre wear, have you had laser wheel (Hunter) alignment done? I have a F11 and was told that due to air suspension on the rear it is necessary to get the rear alignment checked. Since I had it done the car feels more planted at speed.

Ok thanks for your input guys.....so from the replies can I assume that there is no need to stick to "recommended tyres" and replacing with other non rft's should not cause compatability issues ?  Can anyone recommend non runflats that they have personal experience of ?  

I'm leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 s at the moment.

@NeilV535 is taht a 4 wheel alignment ? are there any high street tyre shops that are equipped for this ?

Thanks ! 

Edited by tomnewo

44 minutes ago, tomnewo said:

Ok thanks for your input guys.....so from the replies can I assume that there is no need to stick to "recommended tyres" and replacing with other non rft's should not cause compatability issues ?  Can anyone recommend non runflats that they have personal experience of ?  

I'm leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 s at the moment.

@NeilV535 is taht a 4 wheel alignment ? are there any high street tyre shops that are equipped for this ?

Thanks ! 

Seek out your local Hunter alignment place; they have a website & that'll tell you who has their system local to you.

Even if not 'local', local; find one and use it as they're so much better than any Kwik Fit place and the likes in my experience 

Re tyres; having been out in my FILs F10; the Uniroyals have made a marked improvement on the drive and handling of the car after coming away from RFTs (Dunlop Sportmaxx IIRC)

You'll not regret going for PS4s though IMO

5 hours ago, tomnewo said:

Can anyone recommend non runflats that they have personal experience of ?

I've had a very positive experience of Michelin Crossclimate+ tyres. Very comfy to drive on with a nice even pattern of wear across the width of tread and would have been good for 30k miles or more if I'd left them on the, as grippy as I needed them to be when engaging in more (ahem) enthusiastic driving and being an all season tyre very impressive in the winter months on icy roads. I got to try them on fresh snow one evening when they were still quite new and they were a revelation.

I have separate sets of wheels for summer and winter. I'm tempted to put Cossclimates on my summer wheels but am probably going to have some PS4s fitted in the next couple of months just to see how they compare. I'll definitely be getting some new Crossclimates for the winter.

I've been less impressed with the Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 5s I've been using this year. They have developed a wear pattern you'd expect to see on over inflated tyres. They're wearing more in the middle than at the edges. I've been very careful to keep an eye on the pressures so not sure what the problem is with them but I wont be buying more. 

5 hours ago, tomnewo said:

is taht a 4 wheel alignment ? are there any high street tyre shops that are equipped for this ?

As pointed out above avoid using just any old place that offers wheel alignment. Find a place with a decent reputation who you can trust to know what they're doing. Even the best equipment is next to useless in the wrong hands. If your rear camber is out of whack that could lead to excess wear on the inner edge.

I've had mixed experience from Blackcircles, initially good but then had to have 2 tyres replaced which looked ok but wouldn't balance properly and another tyre which arrived visually deformed which could feasably have been attributed to damage in transit. To their credit they sorted the issues out quickly and easily but I've decided to use a guy I've found localish to my work next time. He has a full Hunter set up so I'll get the tyres fitted, road force balanced and the car fully aligned one day while I'm working. It won't be the lowest cost for the tyres but I'm happy to pay a bit more because it'll be very convenient, I won't have to spend ages scouring the internet comparing prices, I'll know the job will get done properly and any issues with the tyres will be for him to sort out.

I too am an enthusiastic advocate for CrossClimate+.

I swapped out the Police mix of Goodyear/Dunlop my F11 came with and took a punt on these so I could comply with the German requirements for 3PMSF marked tyres 'O zu O' (October to easter) without needing to change wheels. I've been loving them ever since.

I'm about to put on a second set after over 3 years on the first set. They've been in all conditions, temperatures over 40c and speeds up to 272kmh and never given the slightest reason to want to change. Even having to slam on at about 250kmh they performed perfectly.

I fitted a set of Non-RFT Nokian Weatherproof to replace the Pirelli RFT's that were on the car, I then found a bodyshop that had a full Hunter setup close to me and had the 4 wheel alignment done. I too would suggest doing a google search "hunter 4 wheel alignment near me".

14 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

I too am an enthusiastic advocate for CrossClimate+.

I swapped out the Police mix of Goodyear/Dunlop my F11 came with and took a punt on these so I could comply with the German requirements for 3PMSF marked tyres 'O zu O' (October to easter) without needing to change wheels. I've been loving them ever since.

I'm about to put on a second set after over 3 years on the first set. They've been in all conditions, temperatures over 40c and speeds up to 272kmh and never given the slightest reason to want to change. Even having to slam on at about 250kmh they performed perfectly.

Another vote for Cross Climates.  I have had them on two f11's and they are just brilliant.  There is an offer on at the minute as a new version has just come out.  You can get 4 of the old design for under £500.

All the Lotus owners used to use Hunter machines, as they give a good 4 wheel geo check in the hands of a good operator.  A number of tyre places can only do 2 wheels or use manual equipment that is attached to each wheel.  

Edited by Jimbo07g41

Just an update !  had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's fitted today and it's booked in for 4 wheel alignment on Monday which is great BUT.......... the fitter showed me that there are two cracks in one of the rears (BMW 316 Model) and to say I'm pissed off would be an understatement ! 

Now I have heard that it's possible to have the wheel welded but have also heard that they only crack again and that it is / should be an MOT failure......are either or both of these true ?   the other option is to source another wheel from somewhere ....any ideas where I could get one guys ?

Thanks ! 

37 minutes ago, tomnewo said:

Just an update !  had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's fitted today and it's booked in for 4 wheel alignment on Monday which is great BUT.......... the fitter showed me that there are two cracks in one of the rears (BMW 316 Model) and to say I'm pissed off would be an understatement ! 

Now I have heard that it's possible to have the wheel welded but have also heard that they only crack again and that it is / should be an MOT failure......are either or both of these true ?   the other option is to source another wheel from somewhere ....any ideas where I could get one guys ?

Thanks ! 

Get it repaired by a reputable wheel refurbisher. If done properly it should be a permanent fix and it wouldn’t be an MOT failure. 

Just as Matthew says. I had a crack repaired when I had my summer wheels refurbished. They've done 25000 miles and passed an MOT. As long you get a proper job done they should be fine.

Thanks for this guys, that does put my mind at rest ! and it's certainly easier than replacing the wheel....I was considering getting all four refurbished anyway so adding a repair to one should not be that much more trouble / expensive....I'll update once sorted. 

On a F10 M sport do they have to add weights to the car when they do a hunters alignment?

15 minutes ago, tomnewo said:

adding a repair to one should not be that much more trouble / expensive

To give you an idea, IIRC when I had 1 crack repaired at the same time as a full refurb it cost an extra £50 on top. The refurbishers had to get someone in to weld the crack as they didn't have the equipment. I'd been quoted £70 by another local repairer for a repair to a loose wheel if I had the tyre removed first. 

21 minutes ago, San75 said:

On a F10 M sport do they have to add weights to the car when they do a hunters alignment?

I was talking about the to the guy doing my tracking recently. He has a Hunter system and says Hunter have recently updated their systems/software to adjust for the car being unweighted so when calculating the necessary adjustment it can compensate for the difference and set the geometry up as though it was weighted. The effect is the same as weighting the car in the old fashioned way but without the heavy lifting.

12 minutes ago, Cadwell Parker said:

To give you an idea, IIRC when I had 1 crack repaired at the same time as a full refurb it cost an extra £50 on top. The refurbishers had to get someone in to weld the crack as they didn't have the equipment. I'd been quoted £70 by another local repairer for a repair to a loose wheel if I had the tyre removed first. 

Ok thanks for the information....I've sent photos and details to a local wheel refurb business and am awaiting a quote, they do say £55 for welding repair on the site so will wait and see. Thanks ! 

Back on the OP's question, I too had the same wear pattern on the rear tyres on my F11.  This culminated in a blowout on the motorway! Note that the outside wear of the tyres is 'normal'.

The tyres were replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport 4, runflats, which I'm very happy with.  Much better grip both in the dry and wet, better steering feel.  It's too early to tell about wear.

Apologies for the mess in my garage.

IMG_1006.thumb.jpeg.920376820d4c1d9ad9dd3e7f3057db22.jpegIMG_1007.thumb.jpeg.a1a4b834fad5db97373cf87dee512139.jpeg

Just to share.

When I was looking for my F07 last year I discovered that this extreme rear wheel inner edge wear was alarmingly very common. It obviously affects the F10/11 too. 
When doing my homework on each car I was interested in, I looked up it’s mot history on DVLC and very quickly noticed that maybe 80% of all the cars had a record of an mot fail or advisory for inner edge wear, some on multiple occasions  !!  

I have since discovered that this problem is actually ;

A - a safety recall in the U.S. ,  not in Europe though ……. !     and

B - more prevalent with the Goodyear Excellent , so much so they  paid out on warranty claims admitting defects,

The most “specced up” car I have ever seen had about 6mm of rubber across 95% of both rears and the inner edges were completely shredded to bits , similar to Runningman’s. After I showed the guy selling it nearly shit his pants, I sadly walked away from a fabulous car :(.

After buying my F07 I got my wheels powder coated , paid £30 extra for a repair to a crack and replaced the Goodyears on the back !  All good up to now  :D

Update

So I had the 4 wheel alignment done and the camber was out, this has been corrected...hopefully this will sort the inner tyre wear out.    

The wheel was repaired and I decided to have all 4 wheels refurbed at the same time and I must say they look great......pity that I have some brake dust on them already :-).

Thanks for your help and advice with this guys.  

IMG_20210917_083533.jpg

On 22/09/2021 at 13:34, tomnewo said:

Update

So I had the 4 wheel alignment done and the camber was out, this has been corrected...hopefully this will sort the inner tyre wear out.    

The wheel was repaired and I decided to have all 4 wheels refurbed at the same time and I must say they look great......pity that I have some brake dust on them already :-).

Thanks for your help and advice with this guys.  

IMG_20210917_083533.jpg

Just had 4 refurbs myself, it's a nice feeling isn't it, well as long as they stay spotless and no damage :) 

I'm liking the Good Year F1 asymmetric 5's over my previous Kumho Ecsta LE Sport KU39 that I had,  better grip and definitely not as noisy as well. 

1 hour ago, roundy said:

Just had 4 refurbs myself, it's a nice feeling isn't it, well as long as they stay spotless and no damage :) 

I'm liking the Good Year F1 asymmetric 5's over my previous Kumho Ecsta LE Sport KU39 that I had,  better grip and definitely not as noisy as well. 

The F1s get rave reviews; the KU39s are excellent tyres too... When they're new! It's when they're worn in they start to get a bit overly hard and create a lot of road noise... Shame really as they're excellent tyres overall

I've just gone for the Kumho PS91s on my F01 730D for now; then I may change tyre choice again if I sell the current 20s and drop back to 19s (better tyre choices then and up a sidewall size too)

I almost went for Kumho's again but the stock was really low at the time and the F1s were a steal for what I got them for. Can't fault them either and would still recommend them to anyone. 

5 hours ago, roundy said:

Can't fault them either and would still recommend them to anyone

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with these once they've done a few miles. I've just taken a set off my car and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4. My Goodyears seemed to go off quite badly after  bit of use. Hopefully they came from a bad batch and you'll have a better time with yours.