Sign in to follow this  
Boba

Scottish Police Abandoning BMW?

Shouldn’t really use a Sun-type scary headline, but a Scottish Sun article says this:

POLICE Scotland’s high-speed road response fleet has been decimated over concerns car engines will erupt in a fireball, insiders have revealed.

Some 130 BMW models are understood to be barred from emergency callouts due to the scare.

A source said: “The fear is if they accelerate harshly the car will burst into flames.”

Force insiders told how 999 response times have been hit by drivers being ordered not to put their foot down.

It came amid reports the 130 police motors across Scotland are out of action following a string of engine explosions — leaving some stations with no emergency patrol cars.

The drastic move is understood to have been provoked by the death of PC Nick Dumphreys, 47, whose car burst into flames on the M6 in Cumbria last January.

The Scottish Sun understands the fault exists in BMW diesel engines with the N57 or M57 component — found in three-litre cars made between 2017 and 2020.

The only vehicles now fully operational are 2021 models or ones with the 2.5-litre engine.”

I bet BMW is happy with that!

The last N57 was found in the Fxx chassis cars that were discontinued in 2017.

This leaves the B57 engine.

BMW haven't manufactured a 2.5l engine in any form for many years.

If cars were "bursting into flames" it will be the EGR valve leaking coolant into the plastic intake manifold, mixing with the coking of the intake causing restriction and overheating and melting - EGR recall anyone?!   

Edited by Matthew Ashton

The Sun’s not noted for accuracy, more for being lurid, but I suppose the basic police story must have some basis. Not reported elsewhere that I’ve seen though.

5 hours ago, Boba said:

whose car burst into flames on the M6 in Cumbria

What was a Police Scotland car doing in England or since when have Police Scotland been concerned about Sassenachs?

38 minutes ago, Mr H said:

What was a Police Scotland car doing in England or since when have Police Scotland been concerned about Sassenachs?

I thought that was strange....

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

It doesn’t say the fatal fire was a Scottish police car, just a police car and in fact it was a Cumbrian one, PC Nick Dumphries of the Cumbrian police was killed when he crashed after his car caught fire at speed driving to an emergency (inquest finding). It was a 330, no idea of the year. 

Sassenachs aren’t necessarily English by the way. It’s really from the Gaelic expression for Saxon heritage, nominally south of the highlands so I’m one too as are most Scots. ;)

Edited by Boba

Maybe they’ll move to Scottish build cars?

I remember from my Scots education (I grew up in Aberdeen) that Sassenachs were indeed non-highlanders.

Edited by Carrman2018