Jump to content
quad121

Running an e39 M5 using e10

Recommended Posts

As far as I'm aware our E39s should be fine

 

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/BMW

 

If in doubt; stick to premium fuels such as VPower etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have first hand experience on E10 fuel unleashing hell on my M62TU engine. The amount of crap it dislodged on a relatively new and very OCD oil interval maintained engine caused me to have the car flatbeded from 250 miles away from home, being sure that I had an elton john connecting rod. 

 

Now that I recall, one of my M5s also got very, VERY cranky upon E10 additived petrol bach when it was first launched down here. 

 

Since then I always use either V-Power or ron95 shell (aka Super) petrol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use premium, there's nothing good for your car about E10 other than it being slightly cheaper, which should not be a factor to anyone running an E39 M5, especially since it's presumably not your daily driver at this car's age.

 

Defective charcoal canisters are just one of the issues that are emerging with the long term use of E10.

 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352484719308248

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, welshpug said:

i doubt changing from 5 to 10% Ethanol will make that much difference.

 

"Doubt" it's for philosophic or existential dilemmas. For scientific purposes there's "know" and "don't know". Luckily, "don't know" can be cured by "research" and so one gets cured of "parrotinternetwisdow" or "Ifeellikewearingbluesocksmakesmycaruselessfuel" diseases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

E10 is a great fuel, but depends on how it is mixed, I have run turbo cars on E10 for many years, they have even produced more power on e10 94 octane than they did on 98 octane.

But Rule #1, after first tank of e10 you must change the sock on your fuel pump and your inline filter as e10 cleans your tank.

It is very common for people to have bad experience on the first tank of e10 saying it runs bad, this is nearly always due to a clogged filter\sock or failing pump due to the fact all debris will get loosened.

Ethanol will burn cooler, even e10 can drop exhaust temps quite a lot.

Biggest issue you might have from prolonged running of e10 is failing injectors due to some parts not being made of stainless (but I am unsure on m5 injector materials).

If you dont drive a lot, you can get water absorption in the tank if you have a faulty vent valve etc, E10 is ok to keep in tank for about 6 months IF it is sealed.

Ethanol, is a great power adder and we run everything from e10 to e85 if the system supports it, but only downside you will have is higher consumption.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2021 at 8:30 PM, jicaino said:

 

"being sure that I had an elton john connecting rod."

 

 

This is doing my head in - I've been trying to work this out and / or come up with a witty quip, but I just can't.

What on earth is an Elton John connecting rod?  :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that, an unfunny reference. A bent rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bronx1987 said:

E10 is a great fuel, but depends on how it is mixed, I have run turbo cars on E10 for many years, they have even produced more power on e10 94 octane than they did on 98 octane.

But Rule #1, after first tank of e10 you must change the sock on your fuel pump and your inline filter as e10 cleans your tank.

It is very common for people to have bad experience on the first tank of e10 saying it runs bad, this is nearly always due to a clogged filter\sock or failing pump due to the fact all debris will get loosened.

Ethanol will burn cooler, even e10 can drop exhaust temps quite a lot.

Biggest issue you might have from prolonged running of e10 is failing injectors due to some parts not being made of stainless (but I am unsure on m5 injector materials).

If you dont drive a lot, you can get water absorption in the tank if you have a faulty vent valve etc, E10 is ok to keep in tank for about 6 months IF it is sealed.

Ethanol, is a great power adder and we run everything from e10 to e85 if the system supports it, but only downside you will have is higher consumption.

  

 

Indeed, also the water will dislodge a bunch of debris buildup, like the old method of dripping water or ATF or brake fluid inside a carbureted older engine to clean up the carbon buildup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed i have already put e10 in my car.  Not sure how often.  It seems to be what they are selling as regular unleaded now.  Have not seen any problems as yet.

Are we saying we should all be pulling the fuel pumps out of our cars and changing the strainers?  Not a problem changing the main fuel filter but the pump in the tank less so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bronx1987 said:

E10 is a great fuel, but depends on how it is mixed, I have run turbo cars on E10 for many years, they have even produced more power on e10 94 octane than they did on 98 octane.

But Rule #1, after first tank of e10 you must change the sock on your fuel pump and your inline filter as e10 cleans your tank.

It is very common for people to have bad experience on the first tank of e10 saying it runs bad, this is nearly always due to a clogged filter\sock or failing pump due to the fact all debris will get loosened.

Ethanol will burn cooler, even e10 can drop exhaust temps quite a lot.

Biggest issue you might have from prolonged running of e10 is failing injectors due to some parts not being made of stainless (but I am unsure on m5 injector materials).

If you dont drive a lot, you can get water absorption in the tank if you have a faulty vent valve etc, E10 is ok to keep in tank for about 6 months IF it is sealed.

Ethanol, is a great power adder and we run everything from e10 to e85 if the system supports it, but only downside you will have is higher consumption.

  

Actually turbo engines some how can perform better with more ethanol in fuel. Something to do with less detonation and ignition timing, but obviously that's only when I've been told, not something I know myself. Thought I know lad pushing over 800hp from turbocharged m54b30 E46 running on e85.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Actually turbo engines some how can perform better with more ethanol in fuel. Something to do with less detonation and ignition timing, but obviously that's only when I've been told, not something I know myself. Thought I know lad pushing over 800hp from turbocharged m54b30 E46 running on e85.

correct, ethanol will give power on any engine that will get knock before MBT.

My friends have a few 500-1000hp cars running e85, smells really nice, but only getting 350km to a 70l tank on a 4cyl engine is a big let down.

But e10 is a great fuel regardless,.

 

Also, for pump sock, its not needed, but honestly wont hurt to replace as a lot of people still running 20yo+ pumps, would be best to get a new pump in anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bronx1987 said:

correct, ethanol will give power on any engine that will get knock before MBT.

My friends have a few 500-1000hp cars running e85, smells really nice, but only getting 350km to a 70l tank on a 4cyl engine is a big let down.

But e10 is a great fuel regardless,.

 

Also, for pump sock, its not needed, but honestly wont hurt to replace as a lot of people still running 20yo+ pumps, would be best to get a new pump in anyways.

Oooo yes, e85 consumption is impressive. Definitely must be called smiles per gallon, because counting miles per gallon will be too painful :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

Oooo yes, e85 consumption is impressive. Definitely must be called smiles per gallon, because counting miles per gallon will be too painful :D

 

I remember the jets I had to use for my measley dodge 318 when running e85, it was like a bullet hole in the middle of a brass screw... :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you're in the uk then you wont have put E10 in the tank yet, despite what the sticker on the pump says, we haven't passed the 1st of September yet so the refineries haven't shipped any...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, welshpug said:

if you're in the uk then you wont have put E10 in the tank yet, despite what the sticker on the pump says, we haven't passed the 1st of September yet so the refineries haven't shipped any...

 

Got caught by that this morning, lifted the 95 unleaded nozzle at a filling station that I rarely use & noticed the E10 marking on the label. Not being sure I replaced the nozzle & went for the 'ultimate' instead ... £154.9 a litre :o

Motoring is going to get (more) expensive in the future. I run a '98 Phase 1 523i & allegedly all BMW's regardless of age can use E10, but I'm a bit dubious as the car is doesn't do a lot of miles... 10k in the past 28 months.

At least a higher fuel consumption (?) on E10 will help alleviate the increased cost of the better grades of 95 octane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Norseman said:

 

Got caught by that this morning, lifted the 95 unleaded nozzle at a filling station that I rarely use & noticed the E10 marking on the label. Not being sure I replaced the nozzle & went for the 'ultimate' instead ... £154.9 a litre :o

Motoring is going to get (more) expensive in the future. I run a '98 Phase 1 523i & allegedly all BMW's regardless of age can use E10, but I'm a bit dubious as the car is doesn't do a lot of miles... 10k in the past 28 months.

At least a higher fuel consumption (?) on E10 will help alleviate the increased cost of the better grades of 95 octane. 

£154.9 per litre, that's one hell of a price, must be running on a golden fuel :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I thought, works out at £7.04 a gallon :huh:

 

Admittedly that particular station seems to be more expensive than some others, being a BP outlet.

After Sept. 1 we'll see what our local Shell, Esso & supermarket prices are like for the fuel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Norseman said:

That's what I thought, works out at £7.04 a gallon :huh:

 

Admittedly that particular station seems to be more expensive than some others, being a BP outlet.

After Sept. 1 we'll see what our local Shell, Esso & supermarket prices are like for the fuel.

Some motorway service stations have massive price difference, I remember good 4-5 years ago some BP service station on side of motorway had diesel for over £1.60 while local Sainsbury's had price around £1.25 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re: more ethanol content, and potential for better power - yes that can be true but

 

Realise that the e10 fuel is still only rated at 95-octane - there's no such advantage in advancing on MBT timing to be had: it remains 95-octane, and that will define the det limit.

 

E10 also contains c.2-3% less total energy content of course ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×