hitt

E60 Pre-LCI Sport mode using voice activation button

I know that there are probably endless posts around enabling sport mode on the pre-LCI E60.

We know that we need to short pins 8 and 10 to toggle the sport mode. Pin 9 gives us the LED feed that will toggle with sport mode activation.

However, I've been unable to identify one thing:

Pin 10 is labelled as FDC_GND in the diagrams that I have seen (see below). Is anybody aware if this is actually the common ground within the car?

The reason I ask is that I've not been able to source a RHD gear selector trim with the OEM sport button installed, and I'm not too keen on putting in one of the aftermarket round buttons. I bought one and didn't like the look of it in the car. I do have the voice activation button next to the menu button on my i-drive that is not in use. Having run continuity tests on the button, I should be able to repurpose this for sport mode (I was looking at using the voice activation button on the steering wheel, but after some research that looked to get a little more complicated to achieve).

As one pin of the voice activation button switches to ground I wanted to understand if Pin 10 (FDC_GND) is also actually the common ground. That way I can run just connect Pin 8 to the voice activation button to activate sport mode. 

960.jpg

Edited by hitt

So a little update to the above. I bit the bullet and replaced my CCC screen with the 10.25" Android screen from 4x4Shop.

Suddenly the buttons on the steering wheel which never worked before came to life. The call button now allows me to answer calls and the voice activation button now has multiple functions. Short press for Google Assistant and long press takes you into Android Auto (possibly CarPlay too, but I haven't connected an iPhone). 

Still need to get the sport mode button sorted somehow. But just wanted to share a mini success. 

It was a nightmare to install. Not because of the actual screen and wiring which was actually fairly straightforward, but the previous owner had installed a Parrott Bluetooth which was wired extremely badly and had spliced, cut and replaced the existing loom going into the ISO connector on the back of the main CCC, DVD, CD unit. Took me an age to unpick all the issues, pull under-dashtrims to find two hidden Parrott control units and completely create a new loom. On the plus side, I managed to reuse the Parrot mic, such was already run up above the windscreen.

Edited by hitt
Typos

The E60 Sport Button retrofit seems like it's a universal mod for all E60s. However, when looking at the rear of my centre dash module, the connector that the cables need to connect to is not there.

See example pictures attached. I have the module pictured below. I'm making the assumption that I need to change this module out? But before I do that, I wanted to be sure that sport mode is not available using my existing module. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Screenshot_20210919-224555.png

Screenshot_20210919-224535.png

Edited by hitt
Typos

As much as I love to read my own posts :lol: it would be great if one of the many knowledgeable people on this forum could shed any light on the questions posed. 

Beyond the SZM console switch module question above, the main question I have is whether FDC_GND is actually the common ground within the vehicle, or if this is some form of pseudo ground specifically for the stability system?

Many thanks! 

Edited by hitt
Typo

1, the sports button mod does nothing more than light up a sport button, the box has no mystical 3rd map like the SAT box does.

2, the side effect is a seat button error in most cases as it should never have the sport button so doesn't quite know what's going on.

3, should you wish to rewire the button you can make use of empty pins going into the slip ring but you need to tap them on the other side and not through the SZL. You will also need to cut tracers on the board isolating the button and solder wires direct to it.

This was a modded slip ring I did yesterday for a paddle shift mod (a useful mod ;))

7kYp1xHh.jpg

Thanks @GoNz0

Completely appreciate that the sport button doesn't add any magic to the mix. However, it was my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that from a gear shift perspective it would deliver the same/similar shift points as I would get by moving the gear lever over to DS and in addition, there would be a greater weight in the steering, i.e. a little less assistance. The latter is more important to achieve, as I can control the shift points via DS or manually change gears as required, so that is less important than adding a bit of weight to the steering.

If the steering weight change is a myth and the various forums/videos suggesting that they feel the difference is some sort of placebo effect, then it would be good to know.

I'm not going to be repurposing the steering voice activation button now, as it is now remapped to activate Google Assistant in the car. I wanted to use the voice activation button next to the iDrive menu button. Just wanted to check if the FDC_GND connection for the stability control was actually the real ground for the car. 

Edited by hitt

44 minutes ago, hitt said:

Thanks @GoNz0

Completely appreciate that the sport button doesn't add any magic to the mix. However, it was my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that from a gear shift perspective it would deliver the same/similar shift points as I would get by moving the gear lever over to DS and in addition, there would be a greater weight in the steering, i.e. a little less assistance. The latter is more important to achieve, as I can control the shift points via DS or manually change gears as required, so that is less important than adding a bit of weight to the steering.

If the steering weight change is a myth and the various forums/videos suggesting that they feel the difference is some sort of placebo effect, then it would be good to know.

I'm not going to be repurposing the steering voice activation button now, as it is now remapped to activate Google Assistant in the car. I wanted to use the voice activation button next to the iDrive menu button. Just wanted to check if the FDC_GND connection for the stability control was actually the real ground for the car. 

Not sure about the wiring side as I think it's part of the KGM return so it may not be.

Steering weight depends on the age of the car as not all had that option hardcoded.