hitt

Converting aftermarket PDC to OEM

I have a pre-LCI (2004) E60 which is fitted with rear parking sensors. However, I don't believe that they are OEM as there is no PDC button on the module in front of the gear selector (just a DSC button).

The existing PDC system is not the most reliable, so I was considering the possibility getting hold of a new module on ebay which has a the DSC and PDC button on it and using this to connect to the existing sensors.

I know I'll probably need to hunt down and disconnect any aftermarket control module present, but wanted to know if there was any chance of getting this to work i.e. are parking sensors quite generic and can be connected to other PDC systems, or do I need to buy specific sensors to work with the BMW OEM PDC system? I've got what I need to code this in if required.

So am I in with a chance of making this work with existing the existing sensors and do I need more than to replace the module in the dash to add the PDC button? i.e. is there an additional module in the boot/trunk that needs to replace the aftermarket module in the car?

You would need the looms, as it's a can based system once you have wired in the PDC looms (or loom if you just want front) you then swap the DSC button unit for one with PDC (no wiring needed for this) and then code the car to the new vehicle order so it can see the module.

Scrap the sensors and go full factory or it won't work.

Thanks GoNz0. 

Good to know. Shame I can't keep the existing sensors, but at least in more clear on how to get OEM PDC fitted.

Edited by hitt
Typo

If you don't want to faff with the OEM retrofit but want much better aftermarket sensors; I'd highly recommend the Steelmate kit

That's what I have installed on my touring and they work superbly and look OEM. The sounder is in the rear and is very loud (you can adjust the sound level). It doesn't have a button in the front; it just activates when the car is in reverse and then switches off when you're back out of reverse etc

I looked into retrofitting the OEM PDC but stopped as the parts, loom and money to get it retrofitted were daft IMO

I've ended up keeping the aftermarket PDC that was installed in my car. After a bit of searching, I tracked down the control module, which had been tucked down behind the battery. The area around the module was damp. No puddles, but clearly water is getting in and not draining away very well . . . a full drains clean across the car is on my to-do list.

The cables attached the control unit were long enough to relocate it in a higher position. A few days on and the sensors appear to be running perfectly.

I replaced my 8.8" CCC screen with the 10.25" screen from 4x4shop and added a reverse camera (boot/trunk handle integrated module). I now have a good view when reversing, with the added bonus of dynamic parking lines that move as I steer. So less motivation for me to go through the cost and time of installing OEM sensors.

Edited by hitt
Typos