Sign in to follow this  
oldjohnny

Adaptive headlight.

I have the green light flashing on my late 2003 e60 530d lights switch.  The drivers side main headlight section is vibrating after ten minutes or so when headlights are on.   Questions are as follows.   Are the two related.  Is there a control unit for the adaptive headlights and where does it live.  Can I replace adaptive pre lci xenon headlights for non active units?  Many thanks.

My Micky Mouse diagnostic unit says communication with stepper motors one and two impaired.  Also adaptive headlight control unit part number 6934122, superseded by 6934837 is faulty.  Even if I can pick up a used unit,   would it need de-coded/re-coded as opposed to a simple switch over, and where does it actually reside in the car please?    MOT tomorrow so may the force be with me.

Many thanks GoNzO.

Through mot and no advisories, not bad for 18 years old. (The car. Not me).

I have watched a you tube video replacing the ahc unit, part number 6934837 as above.  It was located under the glove compartment.  Can you let me know if this is correct, as the car will be going into a local garage that specialize in BMW and I want to get a used unit for them to fit first.

Sorry, I assumed it was the on light module but an early E60 will have it behind the glove box so even easier to swap.

What is the fault code as I am starting to think you're loading the parts cannon here.

A flickering light after 10 mins could just be the bulb or ballast.

The BMW guys tell me, (phone call to book it in) that the adaptive unit is almost certainly gone and has probably been replaced before.  They agree with you that bulb and ballast could be the culprit in the headlight, or possibly, (hopefully) just improperly fitted.  I have access to an adaptive unit which is working so I can get it fitted and pay later if it works.  I will keep the post updated.