duncan-uk

So it’s not a 5 but hopefully of interest 330ci convertible

For various reasons I need a second car with 4 seats to replace a z4. I like the roof off experience and didn’t want to spend too much. 

I’ve always liked the 330ci convertible and feel a nice one is on the cusp. If not to make money certainly not to loose it. 

I’ve been looking a while. I didn’t want grey leather and I wanted HK and a nav head unit. Yes it’s out dated but I like it. 

Made enquiries on a few but the spotted this not to far away. Mystic blue with cream leather and sensible miles at 88k with history and low number of owners. 

In a dream world it would have been the 6 spd manual but I have the parts to add paddles. 

so here it is 54 plate 330ci convertible. 

009ABDF3-0933-45B1-AEB4-573B17BAB594.jpeg30C2AD63-E249-4CFA-9439-3B60D878F986.jpeg

Thus far I have washed and polished and pleased to report no more marks than I thought. For 17years it’s very tidy. 

I have a plan of preventative maintenance to give me a base line so it’s off to Dartford transmissions for a mega flush (auto boxes give me the fear) 

Today I’ve done air filter, cabin filter, spark plugs, x8r disa valve rebuild and resynced the one touch window function. 

Last week a set of michelin PS4 which is my preferred tyre and was on special at ATS. 

Plans include Bluetooth, full service, refresh of cooling system and PAS system, CCV replace and vanos rebuild. 

Hoping to cover all the usual M54 foibles to get a great car. 

Still not an auto convert but it’s a relaxed experience. 

More to follow!

I have one also in manual form. Is yours auto or manual. The prices on these have started to firm up. Out of the cars I own the e46 as a daily is my favourite. Looking forward to the thread.

You got anymore interior pictures and what are the plans for it?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Thus far I have washed and polished and pleased to report no more marks than I thought. For 17years it’s very tidy. 

I have a plan of preventative maintenance to give me a base line so it’s off to Dartford transmissions for a mega flush (auto boxes give me the fear) 

Today I’ve done air filter, cabin filter, spark plugs, x8r disa valve rebuild and resynced the one touch window function. 

Last week a set of michelin PS4 which is my preferred tyre and was on special at ATS. 

Plans include Bluetooth, full service, refresh of cooling system and PAS system, CCV replace and vanos rebuild. 

Hoping to cover all the usual

M54 foibles to get a great car. 

Still not an auto convert but it’s a relaxed experience. 

More to follow!

Looks good Duncan

Great engine too and you're covering all the bases from the off ;) 

I'm sure Martin at Dartford Transmissions will soon have the auto-box ( @jag530isport ) serviced and in rude health :);) 

How's the handling of it? I know it's the coupe version; but when my pal had his 330Ci; putting Eibach Pro-Kit springs on it made a great improvement on it and didn't lower it too much

That looks great Dunc - gotta love a 3 series convertible in blue :D

I really like the look of the E46 vert/coupe especially the facelift Sport models and prices are heading north. 

My E36 is still a garage queen and have been contemplating changing it as had it 8 years now!! However I don't what else I would get so for the moment it stays.

Thanks chaps.

@jag530isport - as Dan says its an auto - i would have preferred a manual but i think the auto suits the nature of the beast.

No plans beyond going over it thoroughly and fitting bluetooth to it.

It will serve as a semi-daily.

@Dan - handling wise i've not really pushed it and don't intend too really  -its compliant and rides well as is so no changes needed there. You can feel its a converted coupe though - not scuttle shake but you can subtly feel that the roof is missing.

I have a 'thing' about performance convertibles like the M3 in that for me an M3 is a hard top as i wouldn't want to thrash a drop top one hence seeking a 330ci

Z4 is slightly different in that its designed as a drop top from the outset and has the big hoops behind your head.

@Rupert -thanks part of the thinking was to take a good base car (which i think this is) spend a few £ on it covering all the weak spots and just enjoy it and at the same time i cant see it losing money and perhaps with all the work i will have done added to its value.

Part of the appeal of it was that it has all the manuals, wind deflector, mats etc supplying dealer plates and tax disc holder etc.

Just feels very honest and unmessed with.

Its not mint - has 3 car park dings a PDR guy could sort and a couple of scuffs but for 17 years its very straight. Front bumper needs adjusting as you can see it pokes out slightly.

1 minute ago, E39mad said:

That looks great Dunc - gotta love a 3 series convertible in blue :D

Yes it looks lovely, I always liked them. We have got a trio now, my E93 is blue too!

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

For various reasons I need a second car with 4 seats to replace a z4. I like the roof off experience and didn’t want to spend too much. 

I would rather have had a Z4 too but 2 seats are useless to me with two kids! They love putting the top down :) I was very lucky & picked up my 335i for a shade over £2k as a non runner, didn’t take much money to get it going. Just need to gloss over the costs of up grades, they don’t count ;)

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

resynced the one touch window function. 

That much be something they all have in common then!

41 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Plans include Bluetooth

I was thinking about that for mine, are you adding some like Dan has or a different head unit? I’d need to get the factory module & code it in on the E93. I changed the basic head unit in the E39 for an Android one that looks factory, Bluetooth & MP3 playing is great on that but it can’t cope with BMWs diversity radio system so I’ve been enjoying (?) the novelty of listening to FM radio in the E93. 

Well i'd hoped to fit a fly lead with the bluetooth wired in as i have done to the e39 using a later X5 CD player but removing the Nav screen shows it to be different.

A bit of research suggests there is an aux in wire hidden in the loom and so i've ordered a £7 BT aux in.

If that doesn't work the car is CD changer prepped and so has the wiring but no CD changer -so again there is a £30 adapter here or the Gron which would give me handsfree too.

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Well i'd hoped to fit a fly lead with the bluetooth wired in as i have done to the e39 using a later X5 CD player but removing the Nav screen shows it to be different.

A bit of research suggests there is an aux in wire hidden in the loom and so i've ordered a £7 BT aux in.

If that doesn't work the car is CD changer prepped and so has the wiring but no CD changer -so again there is a £30 adapter here or the Gron which would give me handsfree too.

Hi Duncan

I've recently bought a phoenix yellow M3 with HK and Nav. I upgraded to a MK4 nav and a Grom unit. It's works perfectly fine, only issue I've had is it doesn't allow you to switch to the Map or any other screen as it changes back to the now playing screen. I've emailed Grom and waiting for a reply.

Congrats on the purchase, looks like a genuinely decent car

Thanks Qasim. Assume you updated the nav because yours is pre 2002? I think I’ve read that’s the cut off? 

did you look for an aux in wire in the loom?

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Thanks Qasim. Assume you updated the nav because yours is pre 2002? I think I’ve read that’s the cut off? 

did you look for an aux in wire in the loom?

Mine is a late 2002 build but had a mk3 Nav. I did look for the aux as I've done that in my E39 before but decided against it as it was a bit of a faff connecting a Bluetooth unit to it, that's what pushed me towards a double din for the E39.

The only reason I went towards the Grom was that there was a used one fairly cheap on eBay. It's plug and play in the back of the car, the only thing that needs some time is routing it to the front of the car but I managed it while changing the interior.

I think it's perfect for what it is and it streams well and you have the steering wheel functionality as well. I still need to route the mic but hands free as well.

That's a beautiful colour mate. Enjoy jas it got many optional extras?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thanks. It’s mystic blue so has a bit of purple in bright sun. 

it’s well specified yes. 

heated memory seats

HK sound

nav & tv (needs a hybrid tuner)

pdc

wind deflector

plus the usual bits. 

nit sure what else you could specify really

26649E1C-1BA2-46A0-A9AC-2CAFCAC6D8C3.jpegThe interior for those that asked. 

Today I changed the oil and filter just because and also the fuel filter. 

fuel filter removed was as good as new (chimes with the history) but worth changing I feel so I know it’s done. 

Just had these stupid one use jubilee clips which undo but can’t be used again. 

fortunately I had some suitable jubilee clamps “in stock”

in other news I’ve scored a Gron unit on eBay for a good price though I need the appropriate lead but a good saving over new. 

tomorrow the gearbox gets flushed and new fluids. 

£302 later and a day in Dartford - don't think i need go there again - and the gearbox is flushed and filtered.

Feels better but I dare say that maybe the placebo effect but it did seem improved. Not that it was bad, it was pre-emptive rather than to cure an issue.

The process for the mega flush is rather than a drain and fill they pull new fluid through until the fluid coming out is the same colour as that going in hence why it removed 99.9% of old fluid.

So that's one less worry off the list.

Also a hybrid tuner arrived today from Latvia so hopefully i can get the TV functioning again - not strictly needed and probably a gimmick but its fitted so i feel it should work!

Ordering the coolant parts next and so will have a big box of stuff to fit (CCV, Vanos, Cooling system, diff oil, PAS bits) and then it will be just enjoy knowing its in good shape.

Interestingly i think i will be in at around £6200 (ex tax, insurance, fuel) all done and including some fripparies that aren't strictly necessary (Grom bluetooth, Flappy paddles, tv tuner) which works out as 18months of PCP payments on something meh and that's without a deposit and then having an asset i hope to be worth a good chunk of that once finished.

Appreciate you don't buy a car to make money and they cost to own but when i use man maths that doesn’t seem too bad?

That looks lovely Duncan,i enjoyed my e46 325Ci as a daily for 2yrs before i bought the 630i,its the only car i used to own that i regularly check on gov.uk to see if its MOT,d n taxed,hoping its still being used and looked after.

Thanks Mick. It’s not a bad place to be. Once I get the Bluetooth installed I will be happier. Amazing how much you come to rely on streaming from your phone. TMS via LW is not ideal.

Enjoying the fettling for the sake of it rather than necessity. 

So spent a few more hours on the cab, fitted new lower wishbones and 'lollipop' bushes, practically a service item on these and done them on every 3 and 3 series based car i've owned.

Got some track rods to fit too before a full alignment.

I've now got aux - in blue tooth. I bought a Grom but its not being recognised by the head unit though my phone is seeing it so  need to look into that but in the mean time i fitted a £7 aux-in BT adapter powered up from a splice into the cigarette lighter circuit.

Works a treat (as it has in two other cars inc the e39) though of course you have no handsfree or USB charging, 3.5mm jack etc

So once i solve the Grom issue its for sale. PM me if needed.

Also fitted a hybrid TV tuner which as yet isn't giving me TV but will try tuning in other locations as my drive isn't great for reception..

Finally on a whim i've ordered a ski bag from the US - don't need one but the car has the pass through and adds a level of practicality - had one in my M3 saloon and managed to get a 6' - 10'x4" chunk of drift wood home.

Pile of parts accumulating which will allow a VANOS refresh, CCV replacement, PAS and cooling system refresh.

Then its silly jobs because i want too such as detailing things, fitting paddle shifters, one touch hood etc.

Looks lovely Duncan,

Just like what S.W.M.B.O want's next 

She had a E46 330i coupe before the boy's were born & would love another one but a ragtop this time :)

So small updates as being doing jobs little and often as and when i can.

Grom is sorted with a BMW firmware update. quite happy with the £7 aux in so i think i will sell the Grom - Pm if interested.

Managed to find the time to do the track rod arms ( i do the whole thing, so much easier than wresting with just the ends) and then the RTA bushes - nothing wrong with them but if you change them you need an alignment so may as well at £20 for a pair of Lemforder bushes.

As it was up in the air i changed the diff oil again just because.

Tomorrow is booked in for a Hunter 4WA at my trusted place.

One thing that is bugging me is a bit of slack in the steering (interesting same in other i drove) - seems to be the steering UJ coupling that has a rubber donut so one of them is on order but that doesn't affect the alignment.

Should track and steer bang on then - though it actually tracks straight and true anyway!

In the garage then sits a CCV kit, Vanos kit (full with all gaskets for a proper refresh) an on order the coolant parts and PAS reservoir and cap.

I seem to have the standard M54 leaks so hoping the above and a good clean will see it oil tight.

Just need to find a dry weekend as i think there is a few hours there but then it will be near enough as i want it bar some minor fettling.

On the trinket front i've just received a ski bag from the US - don;t need but why not!

Another day another update. Took the 330ci for a Hunter alignment as expected lots of red being as i had it apart.

Interestingly the rear was pretty close as i marked the RTAB bracket with paint and them back over the marks.

The front i measured from a fixed point on the chassis to the brake disc and measured the rods when they came off - as such i'm pretty sure they went back on near enough as they came off - certainly car still tracked true and felt much the same.

However on the rig they where a mile off leading me to think they were off already - though again ran true.

Any way car is now near as perfect alignment one caster a whiff in the red but am told with a full tank or even roof down it will come in spec.

Drives so much better - woolly feel is gone even slack in wheel is much improved though i will still change he UJ as i have it now.

I even got a bit of discount being a loyal customer and he said it was so free and easy to adjust because of he new parts. B)

In other news a big box of parts arrived from Cotswolds so the coolant refresh can begin along with the PAS service.

Just in time as i got a "7B cooling activation map" code and engine light. All points to the stat on its way out so lucky i have the header tank, stat, pump and fresh coolant ready to go!

Small update - was still not happy with slack at wheel, though much improved there was a definite bit of lost motion.

One evening early in the week I swapped out the PAS reservoir and swapped in some fresh fluid - not a full change as wasnlt in the air but used a turkey baster to empty the reservoir, then fresh fluid, then on first start i emptied the reservoir again, did this a third time so though not completely new its much much cleaner. I will do a full change.

Wednesday up on the stands and fitted the new OE UJ - not a bad job really probably spent more time cleaning the undertray of crud and oil (the valve cover gasket, oil filter gasket and vanos is next) than swapping the UJ - despite best efforts i was one spline out on reassembly so moved the steering wheel one spline and job done.

Its a revelation - lost play gone - couldn't feel much wear in the UJ or splits in guibo but was definitely there. Drives much nicer now and i am very happy.

Got a trip to Dorset imminently so looking forward to the drive now.