Johnjonjo

Weak windscreen washer jets

Hi all

Hope everyone is well.

I noticed today that my jets are weak. Only reach a third up the way up, they usually reach upto the top.

I thought it might be because of low water level but topped up to the brim but still the same plus no low water level advisory either.

The motors pitch changes when used from low to high sometimes if that is any clue to;anyone?

I've always stuck to one brand of screenwash and sometimes just put in water only.

Any ideas people?

Possibly the filter on top of the washer reservoir is getting blocked up - it's a common problem. If so there are a couple of options - firstly put hot water in it, to try and dissolve the gunk. There's a pretty good thread about that somewhere on here. If you can't dissolve it then it may be necessary to get the filter out and clean it - which is a pretty fiddly  job and likely to result in much swearing and skinned knuckles. It's located to the rear of the offside front wheel. Wheel off and then you can go as far as unbolting the reservoir, or do as I did and remove the pump and filter by lifting it out of the top (very fiddly). I would try a hot water flush first I think.

13 minutes ago, JCP said:

Possibly the filter on top of the washer reservoir is getting blocked up - it's a common problem. If so there are a couple of options - firstly put hot water in it, to try and dissolve the gunk. There's a pretty good thread about that somewhere on here. If you can't dissolve it then it may be necessary to get the filter out and clean it - which is a pretty fiddly  job and likely to result in much swearing and skinned knuckles. It's located to the rear of the offside front wheel. Wheel off and then you can go as far as unbolting the reservoir, or do as I did and remove the pump and filter by lifting it out of the top (very fiddly). I would try a hot water flush first I think.

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Cant remember how much the reservoir holds as I have headlight washers as well and have just topped it up.

Do I need to drain it via keep on using the washer so emptying the reservoir and then pouring in boiling water via filler cap?

Dont understand why its clogged up as I always use the same premium brand of washer liquid, never mix brands as I heard it can cause clogging.

When you say filter on top of the washer reservoir, i don't see it. 

There is the blue flip cap to the neck of the reservoir and then the plastic is moulded to the right and then deep into who knows what!

32 minutes ago, Johnjonjo said:

When you say filter on top of the washer reservoir, i don't see it. 

There is the blue flip cap to the neck of the reservoir and then the plastic is moulded to the right and then deep into who knows what!

the filters are at the bottom of the reservoir and the pumps, 2 or 3 depending on whether this is an F11 or F10 plug into the filters. 

The filters will be gunked up so either remove the reservoir and clean it or use the method mentioned already to flush the reservoir using fish tank hose and a vinegar solution. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

6 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

the filters are at the bottom of the reservoir and the pumps, 2 or 3 depending on whether this is an F11 or F10 plug into the filters. 

The filters will be gunked up so either remove the reservoir and clean it or use the method mentioned already to flush the reservoir using fish tank hose and a vinegar solution. 

Thank you for your thoughts.

Can I ask what you mean by fish tank hose?

You think I should ass normal kitchen malt vinegar to boiling water?

Do I empty the reservoir prior to the hot water flush?

6 minutes ago, Johnjonjo said:

Thank you for your thoughts.

Can I ask what you mean by fish tank hose?

You think I should ass normal kitchen malt vinegar to boiling water?

Do I empty the reservoir prior to the hot water flush?

Thin plastic clear flexible hose that can be pushed down the filler neck of the reservoir and get to the low part where the pumps attach. Others have used a diluted vinegar solution, I removed the reservoir and cleaned it out that way. 

I think im going to naturally let the water go down with use until it gets to the dash indicator telling me that the level is low then going to put in a few litres of boiling water and see what that does. Hopefully the hot water will dissolve any gunk, from what I remember its just neat water in the reservoir at the moment as I only put in screenwash sometimes.

How long is to the filter from the filler neck?

Reason I ask is that I have one of those waterproof boroscopes, might be an idea to put that down to the filter at the bottom of the reservoir and visually inspect the filter from inside.

2 minutes ago, Johnjonjo said:

I think im going to naturally let the water go down with use until it gets to the dash indicator telling me that the level is low then going to put in a few litres of boiling water and see what that does. Hopefully the hot water will dissolve any gunk, from what I remember its just neat water in the reservoir at the moment as I only put in screenwash sometimes.

That is probably why you are getting the funk build up by having plain water in the tank. It is the organic material blocking the filters. I use BMW screenwash exclusively in the correct ratio and never had the issue again. 

2 minutes ago, Johnjonjo said:

How long is to the filter from the filler neck?

Reason I ask is that I have one of those waterproof boroscopes, might be an idea to put that down to the filter at the bottom of the reservoir and visually inspect the filter from inside.

Maybe 4-500mm. 

Just now, Matthew Ashton said:

That is probably why you are getting the funk build up by having plain water in the tank. It is the organic material blocking the filters. I use BMW screenwash exclusively in the correct ratio and never had the issue again. 

How fine is the filter?

1 minute ago, Johnjonjo said:

Should be able to reach in that case.

The water here is quite hard, lots of limescale.

It isn’t limescale blocking the filter. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

1 minute ago, Johnjonjo said:

Will have a look using the boroscope, it should pick up any gunk at the filter.

When you did yours, did you put the filter back in?

The filter has the seal on that seals around the pump so it is a required part. Use the right fluid and the problem won’t return and don’t use plain water. 

1 minute ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The filter has the seal on that seals around the pump so it is a required part. Use the right fluid and the problem won’t return and don’t use plain water. 

Your right in what your saying about using the right fluid.

Need to get rid of the gunk first though. Going to let it go down with use then hot boiling water with normal malt kitchen vinegar and hopefully that will dissolve the gunk.

Another option to help break down the gunk is to break up a couple of denture cleaning tablets and wash them into the tank. 

It's a 5l tank so 2 or 3 tablets would do the job, yet shouldn't be so strong as to damage anything.

The tank ends up sparkling clean and minty fresh !

14 hours ago, Johnjonjo said:

Hi all

Hope everyone is well.

I noticed today that my jets are weak. Only reach a third up the way up, they usually reach upto the top.

I thought it might be because of low water level but topped up to the brim but still the same plus no low water level advisory either.

The motors pitch changes when used from low to high sometimes if that is any clue to;anyone?

I've always stuck to one brand of screenwash and sometimes just put in water only.

Any ideas people?

Give this a go…..worked for me so I wrote the thread: 

3 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Another option to help break down the gunk is to break up a couple of denture cleaning tablets and wash them into the tank. 

It's a 5l tank so 2 or 3 tablets would do the job, yet shouldn't be so strong as to damage anything.

The tank ends up sparkling clean and minty fresh !

Thank you for your idea.

Did you try it yourself, did it work?

27 minutes ago, McBeemer said:

Give this a go…..worked for me so I wrote the thread: 

Thank you for your input.

Blowing will dislodge and sucking will extract, sounds simple and easy.

1 hour ago, Johnjonjo said:

Thank you for your idea.

Did you try it yourself, did it work?

I did indeed.... my jets went from barely making it halfway up the screen, to hitting about 6in below the top of the screen when static.... about mid screen with at speed.

The motor note also stays about the same while squirting, unlike yours which does sound like the pump is starved due to blockage and thus has no resistance and spins faster.