Johnjonjo

Weak windscreen washer jets

Situation update

I had some old 5mm clear tubing but only about 20cm. I followed the guide (thank you) and blew into the outlet pipe to the nozzles and heard the gargling, I had to blow quite hard at first to dislodge the gunk. I heard the garging as I had the reservoir cap open so air can escape. I then tested then reconnected and tested and it was all back to normal. My plan was to use garden hose to extract the loose gunk and water in the reservoir using the suck and spit method as described in the thread above. Unfortunately the diameter along with how rigid it was meant it didn't make it past the bend to the right just after the filler cap. I then decided to boil two rounds of water in the kettle (approx 3.5L). I added half a bottle of malt vinegar that I had (approx 200ml) into the reservoir followed by the two rounds of boiling water.

Just waiting for it to cool down a bit and then run it dry then fill with neat washer liquid. The brand I use is the blue stuff by Preston, its 5L with an easy pour nozle, its comes neat so you have to dilute it. Buy it from costco as its cheap compared to other places.

Anyone had any experience with this brand?

2 minutes ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

I did indeed.... my jets went from barely making it halfway up the screen, to hitting about 6in below the top of the screen when static.... about mid screen with at speed.

The motor note also stays about the same while squirting, unlike yours which does sound like the pump is starved due to blockage and thus has no resistance and spins faster.

Thankfully I don't have denture tablets around but sounds a good idea.

Way better than taking it apart.

3 minutes ago, Johnjonjo said:

Thanks for that, its quite expensive but guess you get what you pay for.

What is the dilution ratio?

Its on the bottle, depends on the desired freezing temp

01508778057.jpeg.70a8bbdaab2812cc6834205e94a0e3aa.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Johnjonjo said:

Anyone know if the nozzles direction can be adjusted?

No on the F10 they're not adjustable

Edited by IINexusII

1 minute ago, IINexusII said:

Its on the bottle, depends on the desired freezing temp

01508778057.jpeg.70a8bbdaab2812cc6834205e94a0e3aa.jpeg

No on the F10 they're not adjustable

Thank you.

I think the 2 parts water to 1 part concentrate will be adequate for the UK climate.

3 hours ago, Johnjonjo said:

Anyone know if the nozzles direction can be adjusted?

Yes they can.
The angles at which the jets of water come out is non adjustable but you can alter the height at which they reach the screen.

If you look underneath each nozzle housing there is a small Torx screw and a thin plastic hinge in front of it. By screwing it in or out it will change the angle of the housing against the hinge therefore squirting further up or down the screen. 

I should warn you though ;  the housings are delicate and the hinge does get perished and can easily break. 
This is more common than most know and once broken is pretty much irresistible to repair !!!!
Ask me how I know !
Believe me , I’ve tried every glue known to man, without success . Luckily I found a used “nozzle array” , which is even rarer than rocking horse toe nails and unicorn pubes ……. otherwise BMW will happily relieve you of £130 ish + vat :wacko:

Good luck and hope that helps .

1 minute ago, Rolo said:

Yes they can.
The angles at which the jets of water come out is non adjustable but you can alter the height at which they reach the screen.

If you look underneath each nozzle housing there is a small Torx screw and a thin plastic hinge in front of it. By screwing it in or out it will change the angle of the housing against the hinge therefore squirting further up or down the screen. 

I should warn you though ;  the housings are delicate and the hinge does get perished and can easily break. 
This is more common than most know and once broken is pretty much irresistible to repair !!!!
Ask me how I know !
Believe me , I’ve tried every glue known to man, without success . Luckily I found a used “nozzle array” , which is even rarer than rocking horse toe nails and unicorn pubes ……. otherwise BMW will happily relieve you of £130 ish + vat :wacko:

Seconded. That very mistake ended up costing me a new one from BMW :-( Once broken repair attempts are futile...

On 15/08/2021 at 17:13, Rolo said:

Yes they can.

Ask me how I know !

Thank you so much.

I think I will stick to how it is and not tinker.

On 15/08/2021 at 17:15, JCP said:

Seconded. That very mistake ended up costing me a new one from BMW :-( Once broken repair attempts are futile...

Grass always seems to be greener in the field next door situation.

On 14/08/2021 at 19:06, Johnjonjo said:

Hi all

Hope everyone is well.

I noticed today that my jets are weak. Only reach a third up the way up, they usually reach upto the top.

I thought it might be because of low water level but topped up to the brim but still the same plus no low water level advisory either.

The motors pitch changes when used from low to high sometimes if that is any clue to;anyone?

I had this problem with my last F10, and it turned out to be a faulty connection where the water line from the reservoir plugs into the washer nozzle array - the grey bit in the pic below.  Seals go in them.  You'll see this if you look between the lower windscreen and the bonnet on the driver's side of the car.  If you open the bonnet, you'll see that the pipe from the reservoir moves in and out of a hole when the bonnet is opened and shut. It leaks, but only when under load, so you might not notice it.  Daft design I think.  I just took it off and fitted a bit of rubber pipe between the reservoir feeder hose and the array - it was fine after that.  Be careful not to break the wires for the nozzle array heating.

On 15/08/2021 at 17:13, Rolo said:

Yes they can.

Ask me how I know !

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.  Those hinges start to show small cracks when they aren't that old, and don't need much help at all to break - and as Rolo said, fixing them permanently with any kind of glue is impossible.  Reasonably priced used ones are rare - and still have small cracks if you look carefully.

430DD593-715F-4143-97E4-3DBBC2F3CBC0.jpeg

BCEB338F-5BF4-40DA-A3C2-5D8A422BE530.jpeg

4B723BA2-A06E-49FE-ADD3-8FB9E494925B.jpeg

Edited by Calypso-E34

On 8/15/2021 at 5:15 PM, JCP said:

Gorilla glue sorted it for me...drivers side snapped at the hinge. Now it squirts a bit further up the screen..actually better than before.

1 minute ago, neilos1000 said:

Gorilla glue sorted it for me...drivers side snapped at the hinge. Now it squirts a bit further up the screen..actually better than before.

Interesting.  I was using Araldite, which has always served me well - but not for this job!!  Which version of GG did you use?