Norseman

Road noise

Hi folks, I'm sure many of you have read my previous posts about 'background' noise from my '98 523i which has now been put down to the choice of tyres ... fair enough, I'm putting up with it until the next tyre change & thank you all for your patience.

However one thought occurs to me ... in all my 57 years of vehicle ownership (believe me that covers an awful lot of them) I've never needed to consider the noise factor when purchasing tyres.

Does this mean that the E39 (or even BM's in general) are especially susceptible to road noise noise when it comes to tyre brand ? 

Thanks again for reading.

17 minutes ago, Norseman said:

Hi folks, I'm sure many of you have read my previous posts about 'background' noise from my '98 523i which has now been put down to the choice of tyres ... fair enough, I'm putting up with it until the next tyre change & thank you all for your patience.

However one thought occurs to me ... in all my 57 years of vehicle ownership (believe me that covers an awful lot of them) I've never needed to consider the noise factor when purchasing tyres.

Does this mean that the E39 (or even BM's in general) are especially susceptible to road noise noise when it comes to tyre brand ? 

Thanks again for reading.

I would say that to me E39 actually feels quite well isolated and I haven't noticed much of a difference between tyres. There is some road noise, but not more than other cars have, even less.

Only tyres I remember being remarkably louder was some budget winter tyres years ago, but that wasn't E39 either, and you can expect winter tyres to be louder than summer ones. 

My recently departed E39 530d was always quiet on summer rubber but I never strayed from fitting Continentals. Different story on winter tyres though, was definitely louder on the winter compound/more sipes design of pretty much any winter tyre brand.

My E39 M5 rides quietly at the moment but when I first bought the car, after a few thousand miles, the road roar increased noticeably having been quiet to start with. All 4 tyres had sufficient tread, were Michelins, but about 7 years old. Changed them for a new set of Bridgestones and normal (quiet) service resumed. It's running on Vredestein Ultrac Vortis at the moment and have no complaints about noise.

How old are the tyres on your E39?

Edited by DepthHoar

19 minutes ago, dmarkovina1 said:

The key to quiet tyres (provided they are of a quiet variety) is correct and not agressive wheel alignment. Too much camber and toe in wears them unevenly and they start making noise. 

Especially toe in will increase road noise.

The E39s (bar my touring) and my previous E38 have to be about the quietest cars I've ever driven; more so as they were sealed from the back end

But tyres do have a lot to do with this

Uniroyal Rainsport 3s,Nxen N'Fera SU1s and Kumho KU39s were some of the quietest tyres in my experience; Michelin PS4s (in 18" size) and Vredestein Ultrac Vortis (also in 18s) have been some of the loudest; but they had much firmer compounds

Even the 19" Uniroyal Rainsport 3s on my previous E39 and 20" Nexen N'Fera SU1s on my E65 were super smooth & quiet

3 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Especially toe in will increase road noise.

Exactly, excessive toe in is the tyre killer. I always ask for the toe in to be set to the smallest possible - borderline within spec. And usimg the SE specs even for Sports suspension. No issues whatsoever.