Calypso-E34

F10 LCi Sport / Comfort / Eco button function

My last F10 was an early (2010) one, and if you wanted Sport mode you just moved the gear lever to the left.  In the newer car, there is a button beside the gear lever where you can select Sport, Comfort or Eco-pro - however you can still select Sport by moving the gear lever to the left.

My question is - does pressing the Sport button do anything other than holding the gears for longer?  If not, what is the point really?

719F0692-3223-426D-B7EA-B53EEAEADB74.jpeg

Edited by Calypso-E34

The button is just another selector, same function as shifting it to the left. Sport mode not only changes the gearshifts but it makes the accelerator pedal more responsive.

"BMW Sport Mode and Sport Plus: The ULTIMATE guide | BimmerTech" https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/132-bmw-sport-mode-explained

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

My question is - does pressing the Sport button do anything other than holding the gears for longer

To add to @perchas reply, on my car it also changes the feel of the steering, making it feel a little heavier rather than giving you any more feel through the wheel. If you have variable dampers it also stiffens them up. There are 2 Sport modes, Sport and Sport+. There's an idrive menu option which lets you configure which functions Sport mode affects. Sport+ gives you the full works and turns off the traction control and stability aids.

Moving the gear lever accross just engages sport transmission, not "sport mode"

That is selected - as already mentioned - using the rocker switch.

So if you set up "Sport Mode" to have only sport damper settings, you can decide if you want sports transmission, then move the lever.
If you want stiffer steering and more responsive "go pedal" then select Sport + (with added traction control)

As stated above, if you have selectable suspension (there are 2x flavours) Comfort is softer than Sport (i.e. "normal") then Comfort + is "smooth" on motorways etc. (not sure but think dampers almost decoupled?)

Hope this helps.

Philip 

There is no menu anywhere in my car where it is possible to adjust the Sport settings. There is one where you can adjust the Eco-Pro setting alright, but not Sport. 

Putting the car in Sport mode using the button doesn’t seem to do anything that moving the gear lever doesn’t. 

I can’t see any point in the Eco-pro mode either - it just holds gears to the point of labouring at times. 

Moving the selector to the left has an additional benefit given that you are then in 'manual' shifting mode, since if you do so and then don't manually change up, it will do it for you, but not until it hits the redline through all the gears.

This is most useful if you have a hypothetical need to safely but *swiftly* get away from the lights for example...

57 minutes ago, JCP said:

swiftly* get away from the lights for example...

So would car in sport + and gearbox in sport be quickest was to get off the line ?? 

I like car in sport and autobox in regular D for me has plenty of torque, just seems relentless.

Edited by marko530d

17 minutes ago, marko530d said:

So would car in sport + and gearbox in sport be quickest was to get off the line ?? 

I like car in sport and autobox in regular D for me has plenty of torque, just seems relentless.

Sport and Sport+ have the same impact on the gearbox and throttle response. Sport+ removes some of the big brother traction control effect - Dynamic Traction Control is switch on.

1 hour ago, Calypso-E34 said:

There is no menu anywhere in my car where it is possible to adjust the Sport settings. There is one where you can adjust the Eco-Pro setting alright, but not Sport. 

Putting the car in Sport mode using the button doesn’t seem to do anything that moving the gear lever doesn’t. 

I can’t see any point in the Eco-pro mode either - it just holds gears to the point of labouring at times. 

As you don't have adaptive dampers you won't have a Sport+ function, so you won't have a menu to edit. The rocker switch will give you a slightly sharper throttle response and slightly heavier steering in Sport mode. 

Moving the gear lever to the left enables the Sport mode for the transmission, and also allows you to change manually without reverting back to auto.

Eco-Pro works great on a long run as it reduces certain functions from using full power (the air-con as an example), around town I just find it annoying because it selects too low a gear and the throttle responsiveness is reduced quite a lot.

34 minutes ago, marko530d said:

I would say so, yes. Mind you they are quick enough in D most of the time ;-)

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Sport and Sport+ have the same impact on the gearbox and throttle response. Sport+ removes some of the big brother traction control effect - Dynamic Traction Control is switch on.

So with the car in sport or sport + there's no need to change gear leaver to left (sport) as it will have no impact @Matthew Ashton

5 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

There are 2 Sport modes, Sport and Sport+. There's an idrive menu option which lets you configure which functions Sport mode affects. Sport+ gives you the full works and turns off the traction control and stability aids.

This is interesting. My 2015 F11 (Luxury but I don’t think the model matters) only has Comfort, Eco-pro and Sport. There’s no Sport + and no iDrive menu options to configure either (at least not that I can find!). I assume this must all be because mine is a manual?

Edit: just seen a later post, it’s because I don’t have active dampers.

Edited by F1-11

2 hours ago, Liam2594 said:

As you don't have adaptive dampers you won't have a Sport+ function, so you won't have a menu to edit. The rocker switch will give you a slightly sharper throttle response and slightly heavier steering in Sport mode. 

Not sure that's correct - at least not in my car. I have the Sport Auto option with the paddles behind the wheel and I can dial up the Sport + function.

I don't have adaptive dampers. Adaptive dampers will give you a Comfort + option which is not available on standard cars.

16 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Not sure that's correct - at least not in my car. I have the Sport Auto option with the paddles behind the wheel and I can dial up the Sport + function.

I don't have adaptive dampers. Adaptive dampers will give you a Comfort + option which is not available on standard cars.

Me too . 

I have ( Normal / Sport / Sport + ) 

With SAT transmission.

Edited by marko530d

10 minutes ago, E39mad said:

You will have Sport+ because you have the Sport Auto option, that wouldn’t have been an option on the OP’s 520d. 

1 hour ago, F1-11 said:

This is interesting. My 2015 F11 (Luxury but I don’t think the model matters) only has Comfort, Eco-pro and Sport. There’s no Sport + and no iDrive menu options to configure either (at least not that I can find!). I assume this must all be because mine is a manual?

Edit: just seen a later post, it’s because I don’t have active dampers.

Sport+ has nothing to do with variable damper control. Some later cars weren’t delivered with the Sport+ Setting activated. 

All sports+ does in addition to Sport mode is activate dynamic traction control. 

1 hour ago, marko530d said:

So with the car in sport or sport + there's no need to change gear leaver to left (sport) as it will have no impact @Matthew Ashton

By moving the gear lever to the left enables Sport mode plus the ability to use the gear lever to change gear manually (as has been said by someone else here). Much the same as toggling Sport mode on and using the steering wheel paddles if the car has them.  

58 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Sport+ has nothing to do with variable damper control. Some later cars weren’t delivered with the Sport+ Setting activated. 

All sports+ does in addition to Sport mode is activate dynamic traction control. 

Noted, thx Matthew

Thanks for all the replies lads - plenty to digest there!  I think Sport + would be surplus to requirements on my poverty 520d!!  I'm keeping the gear lever in Sport mode on my daily run while leaving the button thing in Comfort - seems to be the best thing for the slow (don't exceed 50 mph often) commute.  It feels like the car goes to too high a gear otherwise.  This engine would probably be better suited to a manual car I think.

Just now, marko530d said:

It will have the impact that then you are in 'manual' mode and can use the stick of flappy paddles to change gear without it reverting to auto after a few seconds.

That said if you hit the redline it will change up for you anyway, and if it REALLY needs to downshift it will do that as well.

9 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Thanks for all the replies lads - plenty to digest there!  I think Sport + would be surplus to requirements on my poverty 520d!!  I'm keeping the gear lever in Sport mode on my daily run while leaving the button thing in Comfort - seems to be the best thing for the slow (don't exceed 50 mph often) commute.  It feels like the car goes to too high a gear otherwise.  This engine would probably be better suited to a manual car I think.

Keeping the gear lever over to the left also prevents the gearbox from using its 8th gear. 

8 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Keeping the gear lever over to the left also prevents the gearbox from using its 8th gear. 

That’s ok for most of my commute  Matthew. I get a bit of a run for about a third of the journey, then it’s 35 - 50 mph after that,  so no call for 8th there really. 

On 8/11/2021 at 10:44 PM, Matthew Ashton said:

By moving the gear lever to the left enables Sport mode plus the ability to use the gear lever to change gear manually (as has been said by someone else here). Much the same as toggling Sport mode on and using the steering wheel paddles if the car has them.  

I'm going to double check this later. As I'm sure I decided that the rocker also removes the top gear and the car changes gear even later. Even if you have moved the transmission into sport.

I rarely use the rocker tbh. But I do knock the stick left to get a bit more ability to over take and also stop the engine stop-start. I drive a peasant 520d.

Edited by Skynet5

To be fair I use Sport mode now and then and over here you really can make good use of it. 

There's a noticeable change in the shift pattern if you stay in D, but the flappy paddles allow me to preselect in a way the car cannot.... it cannot see the hill I'm about to hit or the slow Merc ahead I'm planning to pass.

It also made me realise just how easy it is for a 530D Roads Policing Unit car just suddenly appear in your rear view mirror when you could swear there were no cops in sight.

The only problem comes on the rare occasions I'm back in UK, I have to make a concious effort to keep the speed down... LIM earns it's place now and then.